All your Homebase are belong to... you! / The House 'n' Home Thread.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The insulation should slot in the gap between the joists, if not and they've just slapped it in any old how I'd consider ripping it out and doing it properly. Make sure your arms are covered and you're wearing gloves (I'd tape them on so your sleeves stay down), it's murderously itchy stuff. Wear a mask and goggles too.

You'll most probably have the lighting cables to worry about too, you don't want the ply or whatever resting on those. Put some noggins down to support the floor and protect the cables before overboarding the lot.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The Daddy wrote:
    I boarded our loft back in October. I used loft stilts from B&Q to create an elevated platform and put boards down on top. It wasn’t difficult, but screwing some of the stilts in was a bit fiddly due to precarious balancing.

These are what I used:

https://www.diy.com/departments/diall-loft-storage-stilt-pack-of-12/181925_BQ.prd

I also recommend these, although they’re relatively expensive for what they are. Good for keeping things tidy though:

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Loftleg-Loft-Ledge-Kit-for-Trussed-Roofs---550-x-530mm/p/114291

Here’s a pic of what one section looked like part way through:

D87-A75-D9-9853-41-CC-BA26-7-A4059-D12-D50.jpg

Page turned! Good tips Daddy.
  • Whatever you do, don’t stuff your insulation down. You want to keep it as fluffy as possible. Also make sure to countersink your screws in the boards on top.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • The insulation should slot in the gap between the joists, if not and they've just slapped it in any old how I'd consider ripping it out and doing it properly. Make sure your arms are covered and you're wearing gloves (I'd tape them on so your sleeves stay down), it's murderously itchy stuff. Wear a mask and goggles too.

You'll most probably have the lighting cables to worry about too, you don't want the ply or whatever resting on those. Put some noggins down to support the floor and protect the cables before overboarding the lot.

Oh man, I wore goggles and still got a bit in my eye. Took about two hours to come out, was considering an A&E trip, thought I’d scratched my eyeball.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's fucking awful stuff. Banned in America I think. Used to wire a loft four days a week, I don't miss it.
  • fucking legends all of you 

<3
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Use screws, not nails. When we took up the floor in the room above the garage we ended up destroying most of the boards as they were nailed down. My wife ended up replacing the entire floor. She is disturbingly handy with a circular saw.
  • Bloody PVC pipe has come off from the rear exterior wall, only noticed yesterday, checked the spare room upstairs where I have a new lodger moving in tomorrow and there's an ugly looking water mark on the wall, presumably due to the rain water not having a pipe to run down, so running down the wall.

Just had a climb out the window onto a lower roof to see if I could jimmy it back in. Nope. Bollocks. There's always some shit needs paying for, have put a job up on a site - don't suppose anyone's had experience with similar so I can gauge cost? I don't expect it to cost much.
  • No idea, sorry. Our upstairs neighbour runs a roofing company, so he does everything on our building for free.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'd imagine any competent tradesman with a big ladder could do that job. Might get away with paying someone foe half a day. Try and see if there's any other jobs that need doing.

It will dry out fairly quickly once that's done. Happened to me too - it's more noticeable in older houses without cavity walls.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Now that our renovation is all complete, we figured it’s a good idea to get it valued. Had two estate agents out over the last couple of evenings, and it’s reassuring to see that they both came up with exactly the same base figures and exactly the same chat about potential profit. Both also gave the same overview of the current market where we live. 

The only awkward thing was each of them giving the exact opposite advice on what we should do next (assuming we want to move on – which we do, but only when something approaching our dream house comes up for sale). One advised us to find our next house and only then put this flat up for sale. The other advised us to sell it right now and then start looking.

Okay, glad that’s clear then.
  • Thanks guys, got it sorted the very next day, just got a bloke round and he scuttled out onto the window ledge and managed to re-attach and secure the fucker back with extra brackets, cost me £100. Probably could've got it done a bit cheaper but with rain due and a new lodger moving in I just wanted it fixed.

Pics for reference - can't really get to it via a normal ladder as there's a lean-to in the way (should knock that down really as it's fairly ramshackle).

Yp2Eo7U.jpg

n1BhF67.jpg

Rainwater was running down the wall from the top drain - the window just below it is where my new guy is. It's reassuring to hear this dries up pretty quick. Am planning on going over the paint once it's all sorted, is fairly dry now.
  • £100 seems totally fair for reattaching that. Job jobbed.
  • Yeah I thought so. Just always something else atm it seems, sometimes I think I should've gone new build somewhere.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It might look a bit alarming as it dries as you sometimes get salts coming out of the wall and it can look like mould as it dries but that brushes off OK. You might need a few coats to cover the mark.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Just discovered my balcony is plenty big enough for me to lie down, stretch out and catch some rays outside. It's the first time I've been able to do that since i first left home. Madness.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Earlier this year brother moved into an old place near Edinburgh.
    He has been decorating the place and found all sorts of old decor including wall murals that arent salvagable.
    He did save this door push plate from 10s of layers of paint.
    AEvnHbc.jpg
  • Ooh nice
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Knowing him it will probably find it's way to being attached to a hot rod engine.
  • I like the cut of his jib.
  • We uncovered this wallpaper (a strip at floor level, just above the skirting, oddly) but couldn’t save it. Made damn sure to get photographs at least.

goFaDci.jpg
  • Damn.
    Amazing how ornate the details were at the time.
  • Aye. It’s the tiny tiles drawn in behind the flowers that got to me.
  • Any thoughts on the following:

We have found a house we really like, amazing property but the garden backs onto a major motorway. Theres about 100m between end of garden and motorway, thick sets of trees between us. Our current house is about 500m away from said motorway so we are used to the background noise. The house we viewed is triple glazed so when the windows are shut it's ok sound wise. My concern is the pollution, but there isn't really much difference between 100m and 500m when talking about pollution from vehicles on the motorway is there?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Inverse square law, so probably quite a lot of difference, but below a certain threshold as you'd likely not notice. Amazing how swiftly you tune out environmental noises and stuff though
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Erect giant fans at the bottom of the garden to blow the pollution back to the motorway. You get a benefit to your health and decorative garden features at the same time. Win.
  • Put wind-powered generators up just past the giant fans and use the resulting electricity to power the fans. PERPETUAL MOTION MACHINES.
  • Energy Companies HATE this new invention.
  • You won’t BELIEVE these 15 reasons why.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!