The Next Next Gen Thread o/\o
  • Weren't Microsoft looking at AR? I thought that looked very interesting. Although much of it was probably a bit pie in the sky at the moment.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I would've thought Bone X owners would be far less likely to sit up and take notice of the Series X any time soon.  Buying a SX at launch if you own an X seems almost head wobble territory to me now, but each to their own of course.  The fact that people were willing to upgrade once before isn't necessarily relevant, if anything it adds justification to their purchase; thanks to this business model they're all set for the next couple of years.  Plus, it depends on the individual whether having upgraded once would make them more or less likely to upgrade again.  For me, I reckon I'd be less likely.   I didn't like the whole mid-gen minor upgrade thing but I did appreciate the way both companies handled the stat bump with the Pro/X (New 3DS is the poster child for oh fuck off due to hosting a Ninja Turtle's handful of exclusives worth mentioning).  Personally speaking, if I had an X I'd be pleasantly surprised (and happy) with the way MS are doing it.  If I had a Pro I expect I'd be disgruntled with Sony's stance, no doubt tempered by the fact that I would've pretty much known what I was getting myself in for when I parted with the cash.

It's interesting to see different people's takes on all this. I'm really curious to know what the split is of those for/against/meh.

I was looking around at the various news articles about MS's move, not a big majority but most are either somewhat negative or share the concerns already mentioned about all this. I would guess that most of the people reporting on this are in the long term 'enthusiast' category, so some bias there as I think they are probably excited for grand new experiences that we haven't seen before, more so that compatibility with an old machine. They will be getting the new box either way so it's of no benefit to them particularly.

I think that what most people who are really enthusiastic followers of the technology and development of games are looking forward to most are the bespoke experiences that take full advantage of the hardware, and push the state of the art in games forward. That's where my interest is anyway. One of the main benefits of a console with a fixed set of components over a PC at this point is the ability for devs to focus and optimise totally on it, forcing compatibility with older machines kind of eats into that advantage a little.

I saw a poll here - http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/01/soapbox_sony_is_not_anti-consumer_for_making_ps5_exclusives  It's a playstation based site so obviously the poll will be biased towards favouring Sony and the opinion of the editorial, but still at 90% in favour of full exclusives and only 4% of 1551 people that would like to see a similar commitment towards compatibility. I wonder what the results would be from a much larger set of people.
  • Sorry but that poll is entirely meaningless.
    May as well go on the Daily Mail and ask if Meghan is a twat.

I mean, I am fully for MS's move but I wouldn't describe Sony's approach as anti-consumer. Less pro-consumer than MS (on this one point) maybe but it is just a continuation of the norm.
  • Personally, I think we’re past the point of gaming technology advancing in leaps and bounds. Games get cleverer and shinier incrementally nowadays. Radical change is thin on the ground, and usually tied up with some sort of controller or other peripheral (Motion control, camera/voice control, AR, VR).

Given that, I don’t think anyone outside of the enthusiast community has expectations of hot exclusive new titles. Most people want the next sequels to their existing favourites, and they’d like each iteration to be noticeably ‘better’ than the last, whether that’s in terms of scope, speed, or graphic shinies.

I also wonder a bit about the notion of format exclusives. I understand why a console maker wants exclusive titles (to sell their system), but what sort of person actively wants titles to only be available for ‘their’ chosen system? Can you imagine thinking that way about TV shows? “I have a Sony telly, so I don’t want people with LG tellies to be able to watch my favourite show.”
  • I'm not convinced the poll is entirely without worth, I might have expected greater than 4% of people to wish for forwards compatibility. But yeah without another less biased poll we can't really tell.

I think for most people, that don't really care about getting the latest and greatest and are quite happy to sit behind the curve or be unaware of it, this is going to be a good thing. I'm a little more in the impatient and lamenting camp though -

NlQxGtu.jpg

I think the nature of where graphics tech is at now makes big visual differences much less dramatic and noticeable, but there's still room for stunning scale and levels of interaction detail, an immersive feel of a living world.
  • I'm not convinced the poll is entirely without worth, I might have expected greater than 4% of people to wish for forwards compatibility.

So would I, but that isn't the question being asked. The question and answers are loaded to get the result it has done.
  • The thing is we’ve had new console launches - switch and oculus quests that did bring new things to the party but they just get dismissed really.

Yet the guy who spends all his time talking about consistent frame rates and pixel counts is disappointed when the next gen is about consistent frame rates and smooth pixels.
  • That's not all he cares about though is it?

That is a point though, there really should be no excuse for anything less than 60FPS this time around, though I'm sure some devs will find a way.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Rumour is Cyberpunk 2077 will be day one on Game Pass.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Exactly the kind of propaganda I'd expect a M$ fanboy to concoct. Shameless.
  • I hear it will only work on every 5th PS5.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    You taking the PiS5?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Don't be so obnxboxious
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Exactly the kind of propaganda I'd expect a M$ fanboy to concoct. Shameless.

Just keeping it real until Yoss returns from his break.

• The days of Ridge Racer, Mario 64 and Halo ce are behind us. We're slowly but surely approaching photo realism with titles like Witcher3 and rdr2. Yeah there's scope for improvement. Animations, raytracing, more complex, believable worlds. It's all incremental from here as gfx api's slowly develop, mature and expand.

Up until now games have always been heavy on single/dual core, quad core performance at the most? Guess that'll probably change come next gen. Possible big, big performance jumps.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Games have been utilising multiple cores pretty well for the last couple of years, around 8 threads at least anyway, sometimes more. There's been plenty of testing showing substantial performance improvements for higher core counts over 4/4 or 4/8 CPUs that were typically recommended a few years ago. The next consoles are going to have 8 core 16 thread CPUs which is pretty mental honestly, that's an outstanding amount of horsepower for however long the gen will last.
  • Ah sweet. That's dx12/Vulkan performance I presume? The problem with pc is that most of the install base are on steam which is bound to dx11? And dx11 isn't optimised for multicore performance whilst dx12/Vulkan is built from the ground up with multiple cores in mind.

I suspect Vulkan might become more popular on Steam to keep up with the multicore madness. Last time I checked dx12 was locked to Xbox and the w10 store. But ms may have opened up their policies since then.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • No you still get good core usage from DX11 games, probably just not from the renderer which just needs a single core to do most of the lifting. Vulkan and DX12 can make use of more core to help output all them frames, but even without those devs can still offload plenty of things onto other cores.
  • Some industry failure bloke reckons PS5 reveal is in the next 4 weeks. This Jaffe geezer tweeted it
    PSN - minkymu
  • So the Xbox Series S is shrouded in secrecy prompting speculation that it's not a traditional console box for under the TV. Or even a console at all. Theories put forward so far have "Lockhart" as a X-Cloud Server blade (?) or even a handheld. What if it's both ? Or a hybrid docking deal like the switch with a focus on X-Cloud use on the go. Merely speculation but having tried X-Cloud via my phone and a pad it didn't feel right where a dedicated piece of hardware would.

Just some random thoughts.

Also Microsoft are buying From and their E3 announcements for Launch and post launch  have leaked already

https://www.reddit.com/user/Porgamerdev/comments/erfmen/xbox_e3_leak/

Lolz
    Xbox - Boozy The Clown
    Forza4Lyfe
  • Matthew gets around.
  • Who dat ?
    Xbox - Boozy The Clown
    Forza4Lyfe
  • Boozy wrote:
    Who dat ?

Forum legend who managed to get hold of a Wii back when we all had Master Systems thanks to his contacts/uncle/dad.
  • Oh, years ago on the old forum a user by the name of Matthew said he had a Wii months before it launched because his dad ran a game shop in Gibraltar. True story. Fun times.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Boozy wrote:
    So the Xbox Series S is shrouded in secrecy prompting speculation that it's not a traditional console box for under the TV. Or even a console at all. Theories put forward so far have "Lockhart" as a X-Cloud Server blade (?) or even a handheld. What if it's both ? Or a hybrid docking deal like the switch with a focus on X-Cloud use on the go. Merely speculation but having tried X-Cloud via my phone and a pad it didn't feel right where a dedicated piece of hardware would.

Just some random thoughts.

Also Microsoft are buying From and their E3 announcements for Launch and post launch  have leaked already

https://www.reddit.com/user/Porgamerdev/comments/erfmen/xbox_e3_leak/

Lolz

A switch sized xbox one x, with game streaming, would be amazing.
  • Yeah it’ll be a disc less borked Xbox that’s not quiet cheap enough.
    The Forum Herald™
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    A switch sized xbox one x, with game streaming would be amazing.

r4GdHln.jpg
  • The tech isn’t there
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!