Ask the Bear & Badger
  • Those of you with children between 5-10, what are you doing for holidays this year? This will be first year that i (in theory) have go to during summer holidays and boy is it expensive. We enjoyed Haven type places in the past.
  • My kids are not going on holiday again until they learn to stop arguing with each other all the fucking time.
  • Heh.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Djornson wrote:
    Those of you with children between 5-10, what are you doing for holidays this year? This will be first year that i (in theory) have go to during summer holidays and boy is it expensive. We enjoyed Haven type places in the past.

We're going to the Amalfi coast this year.  There's four of us so it isn't particularly cheap but, well what can i do?  It's just simply expensive once you're going in the summer holidays but i don't think there's much you can do tbh. Its either that or take the fine. My kids are moving through the gears rapidly now so I'm onto the homeward stretch of gazzilion pound holidays. A few more years and they probably won't want to come with us is the way i'm looking at it.

The only possible glitch can be if you leave a few days before the summer term ends you still at least get the benefit of much cheaper flights.  Primary schools tend to be a little more forgiving than secondaries - especially if you're on good terms with the teaching and management teams.  Other than that its just sucking it up and looking forward to when they hit an age you can legally leave them behind.
  • Yup. Will be going away again in school holidays this year. But think we'll be looking at splitting cost of a place with my brother in law and making it a larger group thing. Drive to France, not too far over the border and see if we can get a place with a pool. Self cater.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Family caravan (wife's side) usually does the job for us, I've already got Easter booked off for a trip to sunny Leysdown on Sea.  We rented a caravan with my side of the family in August last year, which we might do again.  That was the plan after last time anyway.  

Tilly's school has decided to plough on with their two weeks off in October idea, which has put paid to our half-baked idea of a trip to Malta during that half term (I'll have to book the week after off now).
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Djornson wrote:
    Those of you with children between 5-10, what are you doing for holidays this year? This will be first year that i (in theory) have go to during summer holidays and boy is it expensive. We enjoyed Haven type places in the past.

We're trying to decide! Mine are 9, 8 & 4.

Last summer was North of France (not far from the ferry, in Brittany) which was great and not ludicrously expensive. Summer before was a drive to the South of France which was great while there but a right slog!

Others have been Pembrokeshire (great, need to rush the weather, amazing beaches), Devon (likewise), isle of wight (fun, nice and compact), Ireland (chilled), center parcs (great, but expensive, and we've only done that in term and I imagine hols are busier and more expensive...)

Were considering Italy this year but the maths doesn't seem to stack up unless we win the lotto on the next few months... 5 return flights, car hire, on top of accommodation, and it's like thousands :cry:
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I don;t know whether it still happens or not but my foster mum was a youth worker so I spent many of my holidays between 5-15 camping with youth clubs, this was double good as it meant parents could get a separate break without whiny bastard child, plus every other year there would also be a family break to butlins or something as well
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The eurostar to the south of France, with a hire car at the other end is fairly simple.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Like a Q7
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Don't know what you're on about mate.
  • Thanks all, we've got 5 and 3, not brave enough for a plane! Ferry seems reasonable though and Brittany looks nice. They dont have passports yet though!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yup, obviously environmentally better too. Getting car hire with three safe cars seats ain't always easy/cheap though, Wich is why we've driven previously...
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Yup, obviously environmentally better too. Getting car hire with three safe cars seats ain't always easy/cheap though, Wich is why we've driven previously...

Good point, we only had isla when we did it so only needed one child seat.

• Just learned that my home insurance doesn't cover my garage or its contents! Because it's not on the same land as my main building, its like 5 metres away on a shared forecourt. Trying to work out which if any insurers would cover it seems challenging. Anybody know anything? :)
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Anyone know where my marriage certificate is?  ta.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Back of the wardrobe, no, the other one, in the box under the thingy.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Anyone know where my marriage certificate is?  ta.

Someone suddenly regrets voting tory
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I'm thinking of getting a small tablet-y device for use in the classroom. Anyone got any recommendations? I'm thinking something either with a detachable keyboard, or that flips around completely. (A traditional laptop would be a bit unwieldy.) Small and cheap is more important than raw computing power.

Current ideas include a Surface Go, some sort of Chromebook, an older model iPad, or maybe a larger sized Android tablet.

Oh, and a nice solid case (or already reasonably rugged) would be a bonus. Just for those moments when an excitable child grabs for it and it tumbles to the ground.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • iPad Pro.  Then buy the trillion pound keyboard case to go with it.  £1500 well spent.
  • Get the pencil too for lols not for actual use.  Everything will also need engraving.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    can see the way you're thinking. Used a Surface on and off for a few  months at launch, very impressive piece of hardware, wouldn't want kids near it, it'd stand up to them (mostly) but I'd want to pristine. If you are going be letting the kids use it, then just get a cheap as chips android tablet. It's most likely to be what they see at home, and it's ultimately replacable, including software, settings and files, by just loggin into the thing
  • Depends what you want it for. Are you letting the kids near it?

iPad if you are looking at using educational apps, because all educational apps come out for the iPad but not always on Android.
  • If you're going Android, get a Kindle Fire and add the Google services. They're cheap and effective.
    Alternatively, I've been using a Linx 10inch Windows tablet with keyboard cover for the past couple of years and am pretty happy.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Does Sparkles ever look in this thread?

I had a bizarre cooker/electricity thing happen tonight.

Oven was on, happily roasting some lamb. Muffled bang, fuse tripped, smell of electrical problem and a cloud of smoke. Something definitely went pop.

I figured the oven element had gone.

But no. Flipped the fuse back on, turned the oven back on, and it carried on perfectly as normal for another couple of hours. It seems fine.

So what blew? I’m a bit lost.
  • Lightbulb? Doesn't really explain the smell of electrical problem but worth a 'pop'
  • Nope, all lights are still working. Something definitely blew. There was even a cloud of smoke. And yet everything seems to be working again afterwards. The bulbs are fine, oven’s still heating, fan’s still running. I’m confused.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Perhaps your lamb was electric

do do do do
    electric lamb
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    There's probably more than one heating element in there, one of them must have blown.
  • Aye, thinking clearly this morning that’s probably it. I’ll have to see if there’s a way to try one element at a time so I can work out which.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!