The Battlefield Thread
  • Gremill wrote:
    That didn't take long
    Given what a spectacular failure it's been for them, I'm surprised it took this long.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Still not tempted tbh :(
  • I'm still really enjoying this - the new map is decent and theres still a lot of fun to be had. I don't know what everyone's issue is with it.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I just find they've been progressively worse every year.
  • It's not Bad Company 2.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • So this has now been updated to include the war in the Pacific, USA v Japan. They've dropped a few new maps including the classic Iwo Jima and a new version of Paracel Storm from BF4 cashed Pacific Storm with Wake Island is coming in December.

I've had a go on both maps and they are great, very 1942 - setting the jungle on fire with a flamethrower is quite a sight and Iwo Jima is as fun as ever.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Iwo Jima is as fun as ever.

Hmm.

I keep seeing you, Panty and of course Iain on this, it gives me BFBC2 pangs. I'll get on it at some point.

Webbo and the boy Frantic will be AWOL though, they've defected to CoD, the bastards. No great loss anyway, only so much I can bear listening to the whippets, ferrets and barm cake chat.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I buried the corspe of BF, it's too painful to go back.

R. I. P
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I could be tempted to give it a go. I wasn't massively sold during the beta but if you guys are enjoying it it must be doing something right.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Good man Goobs. Could do with someone who knows how to effectively pepper pot across the map.

I've not been enjoying it really, I've barely dabbled. I got it cheap for the battle royale mode and only played a few rounds of that and MP. Up for giving it a shot though.
  • If I see you on I'll send an invite.
  • It's not perfect but I have great fun with it and I only ever really play with randoms - although unlocking the guns can be a bit of a pain in the arse.
  • It's definitely lost something along the way and I know they are working hard to fix it and it is great looking and good fun but BF4 is still king.
  • BFV is much better than BF1 (the previous WWI one), much less of the bad nonsense, but still plenty of the enjoyable nonsense. It still has various things about it which are annoying and shit of course, but there is good fun to be had.

If anyone is about on PC I'd be up for a few games btw.
  • It's definitely lost something along the way and I know they are working hard to fix it and it is great looking and good fun but BF4 is still king.
    This. 
    I think it was a massive mistake to do two historical shooters in a row. 
    The sandbox elements of BF4 are completely missing simply because there weren't any techno gadgets at the time. Plus you can't fiddle and toy with your pretty guns handling and setup for exactly the same reason. 
    Tanks are classic glass cannons, able to get massive kill streaks IF you sit on a hill and snipe with it, but go anywhere you can be flanked and you are dead in seconds as they are so ponderous in their handling.

Everything can kill everything else fairly easily but pilots insist that they should only shot down by other pilots while they farm infantry on the ground.

Sound isn't as good as BF4, you often get zero audible warning of a plane or tank until it's too late or already on your screen.

Time to kill and time to death, as always, don't match and are far too short for me.

But saying all that it's still a decent shooter and an experience that you can't quite get anywhere else.
    I've had some amazing matches of breakthrough on these two new maps.
    And this Pacific dlc, most importantly, 'feels' likes battlefield again. And has made the game infinitely better in my opinion.
    More of this please, pity it only took them year to remember how to make a battlefield game.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Yeah, there's fun to be had, but the magic isn't really there. The vehicle play hasn't been good since BF4, the physics feel a bit off, the transport vehicles never feel like a good idea after the initial grab for flags, which really limits the larger maps.

The netcode and TTK can combine at times for a brutal TTD, which is the biggest problem imo. So much of the game is map knowledge which is hard to learn when people are scared to move in case they get instakiled.
  • Can't believe we're at the stage where the series could be playing second fiddle to Battlefront going forward. I'm slightly surprised at how shocked people are that support is winding down, but to be fair, they've never got the team balancer or the anti-cheat on PC implemented.

It really feels like they've killed any community they had with this. I can't see pre-orders being good for the next game and they've no chance of selling another deluxe edition after pretty much ripping off the buyers this time, which will makes funding DLC maps difficult whichever way they go.

We've also got ray tracing to look forward to, which might make the game look good, but god knows what it will do for game play, nothing good I'd guess.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Destructible environments, with real time Ray traced environments, I'm tingling with excitement.

Imagine crawling in the dark through some trench/sewer/irrigation ditch with a light roof, and a helicopter opens up with its cannon on your position, pumping dozens of 30mm holes all over your cover, with light pouring in casting god rays through the dust and debris!
  • I_R wrote:
    Can't believe we're at the stage where the series could be playing second fiddle to Battlefront going forward. I'm slightly surprised at how shocked people are that support is winding down, but to be fair, they've never got the team balancer or the anti-cheat on PC implemented. It really feels like they've killed any community they had with this. I can't see pre-orders being good for the next game and they've no chance of selling another deluxe edition after pretty much ripping off the buyers this time, which will makes funding DLC maps difficult whichever way they go. We've also got ray tracing to look forward to, which might make the game look good, but god knows what it will do for game play, nothing good I'd guess.
    Stoddeh did a video recently that I posted in the general games thread, that I was surprised to fully agree with. 
    Apart from the big things that need to change, little things also need to be rolled back. 
    Like skins. Slight variations on class skins are fine but a skin with a katana wielding assault and the same katana wielding skin on a medic don’t work. They need the visibility and the recognisability of the class silhouettes back. 
    And you need to be able to see people. Too high graphic fidelity coupled with the frankly quite dodgy at times engine leads to frustration because you have just been shot by a pile of rubble. And just encourages camping with MMGs.
  • From the General Games thread:

I can't find the battlefield thread and I doubt anyone is reading it anymore anyway, but development/support of BFV is halting as of June. Apart from gamebreaking bug fixes. 
    I'm not surprised, the whole thing has been a shambles really from start to finish, the community has also had the knives out since day one. 
    The one thing they praise about the game is the one thing I was briefly happy with when they changed it at Xmas 2018 and that was the gun play. 

At release every gun was a laser beam and the ttk was nearly as fast as COD. Then at Xmas 2018 they changed it, using the excuse that for new players it was friendlier, this caused a massive stink in the community, but I secretly welcomed it. Because No longer where you beamed from across the map by basic SMGs (you can still literally out snipe a sniper with a SMG) and hitting people took a teensy bit more trigger control. Insta deaths weren't eliminated but they were greatly reduced, and when receiving incoming damage you could actually duck behind cover and maybe live to fight on, as it was previously, as soon as you took incoming damage you might as well just let go of the controller because you were almost without fail guaranteed to die. The community hated this and griped until it was changed back. It's very, very brief flirtation with ttk similar BF4, in my opinion, was its heyday and that was only for about 3 weeks in total.

I'm not sad to see it go because I realised a few months back, grinding for chapter unlocks, that I was actually just grinding for chapter unlocks, and the fun just isn't there. I was playing the way the game wanted me to play, not how I wanted to play. Ir was telling me "Hey this is fun" when it should be LETTING me have fun and not telling me I'm having it.  

Over the past couple of months I've seen posts on Reddit and polls asking for the next BF to be Vietnam or cold war and I pray to fucking god it's not. 
    2 historical themed titles in a row was a massive mistake in my opinion, and the series needs to get back to the modern day combat that I fell in love with in BF Modern Combat. It also needs gadgets, shit tonnes of gadgets, big open maps and fun, FUN. The ability to be creative with all the stupid tools you've been given, this just doesn't seem to be possible with the limited real world tech of a game set in a historical time period, the rock paper scissors of vehicle combat needs to come back. Basically just reskin BF4 but add all the improvements to soldier movement that came with BFV. 

At this time, yet another scope, gadget and weapon customisation limiting historical themed shooter with fans complaining endlessly that the badge on the GIs uniform is in the wrong place or the Russians shade of brown is slightly too dark would be the finish of the franchise. 

Ditch the transitional animations in and out of vehicles, ditch the specific vehicle entry points, ditch the live service model, ditch the radical soldier customisation that means you don't know what the fuck you are shooting at or what faction it belongs to (over and over again I would be playing this and halfway through a match I would realise I didn't even know what fucking side I was on), ditch the 'realism', fuck making it 'hardcore', add a hardcore mode for those who want it but don't force it down everyone's throat. And more controversially, go back to Premium which at least guaranteed content. 

And finally, much to my surprise a YouTuber has hit the nail on the head and I completely agree with everything in the following video, especially what the next Battlefield game should be. 
  • Oh god, the stick with your squad nonsense that people said to medics. Up there with the people that liked Squad Conquest because it was slow paced. 

That's the problem going forward, easily more than half the players have no idea what they're doing now. They go prone in a bush for a whole round and think they've been playing their part. I'm actually starting to wonder if there's as much cheating on PC as people claim, it might just be decent players running round killing the usual suspects in their obvious hiding spots.

Problem is that it's going to be incredibly hard to disengage from the realistic and hardcore  style. The amount of people that think the gun play is great but the game is boring is mind boggling and I simply can't see DICE stepping back with the graphics, they've been letting the art department mess up the game since BF3 because it sells.
  • There's a massive thread on the subreddit now with everyone bleating about the gunplay being amazing and the changes to a slower TTK killing the game twice. 
    No, no, no. 
    It was the fast gameplay stopping the game being fun.
    It took no skill, no recoil control, no ability whatsoever except who has the better connection and who saw who first, usually by camping. 
    Running in the open (unavoidable) meant death, assaulting a flag meant death, PTFO meant death from a rock that was actually a player

The fact that huge amounts of these posters on Reddit are saying 'As soon as they changed the TTK to make it slower I went back to COD'. There's your problem right there. BF1 was extremely popular and pulled a load of COD players in during a bad time for COD, those players continued to get what they wanted at first in BFV and that's extremely fast TTK, with all weapons being hitscan like laser beams. As soon as DICE tried to make things a bit more traditionally BF they all decamp and whinge on Reddit. 
    Some are active posters and admit they haven't played the game since Jan 2019. 
    DICE don't listen to those players. They are irrelevant, go with your experience. 
    I never want to play COD again. I've not played it for more than couple of 'just checking to see if anything else changed', rounds since COD MW. I will never play another COD MP as long as it stays as it is. I've been really enjoying watching YouTubers playing Warzone. It does genuinely look as close to a actual BF game as we've had since BF4, but Jesus Christ watching the gunplay and lack of recoil has left me with absolutely no desire to download and give it a go.... And it's free for god's sake.

To make the games good for me again means BC2 gunplay, or failing that, BF4 gunplay but I'm afraid that means losing the twitch kiddies and sales numbering in the 5mill range and not the 14mill range they want and expect.

It's perverse to think this but it's like DICE need to become a niche Dev again, far less successful but catering to a demographic that's not being catered to by the mainstream.
  • It's hard to see EA doing niche. Conversely, they've hardly got any games outside the annual sports titles and they don't even have as many of them as they used to.

I don't think they can afford to mess the next game up, but getting it right seems almost impossible.
  • I deleted BF4 a few weeks ago as it was the same shit servers - 24hrs Lockers - but instead whim I redownloaded it last night. And yes... 24hrs Lockers. But I've just managed to find another server in an actual rotation and God I miss this game. 
    More fun in 3 rounds than a year of BFV.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Had a night on this. Conquest Grind was the trending game type so I gave it a go. Three maps later and the game mode appears to be a corridor with us at one and and them at the other. Two matches were on a bridge with walkways underneath. Got me used to the controls but that's about it.

I then tried a Squad Conquest game, 8 a side so much more to my liking. We did well, won three games on the spin and it started to feel like the Battlefield, revives and resupplies were actually a thing, taking points of the map and holding them as the enemy tried to get past you to the flags. Then a team must of left because it ended up 3 v 8 and we got a bit overwhelmed. Strange game, this.

I still maintain that smaller team sizes on tightly designed maps are still way better than the random clusterfuck of huge teams on huge maps. And what happened to vehicles? Didn't see a one all night.
  • Must have missed you Sparky.

Grind doesn't have vehicles at all. Flanking and back capping is possible, but a good team can stop it happening as well.

There are half tracks and tanks on some of the Squad Conquest maps, but they're a bit of a trap. The tanks aren't great on the flags and you can't afford to have two players off the flag in the mode.
  • Squad conquest is decent but people drop out and it never seems to fill back up again. It’s always been like this and it’s yet another tick in the wtf box for the game.

Grind is basically for those people who loved playing Op Lockers and Metro over and over. It scratches that the enemy are right in front of you, you are almost guaranteed at least one kill itch.
  • Not exactly hard to guess but it’s looking likely that the next BF is back to modern times. THANK GOD.
  • pantyfire wrote:
    Not exactly hard to guess but it’s looking likely that the next BF is back to modern times. THANK GOD.

Amen!
  • pantyfire wrote:
    Squad conquest is decent but people drop out and it never seems to fill back up again. It’s always been like this and it’s yet another tick in the wtf box for the game. Grind is basically for those people who loved playing Op Lockers and Metro over and over. It scratches that the enemy are right in front of you, you are almost guaranteed at least one kill itch.
    Yeah, played a bit of Squad Conquest last night, guys go and hide in a house for most of a round and then leave just before the end. Even I can't carry that. It's a shame though, the early maps are great and it was a good mode. 

The tiny remaining player base that lapped up no spotting and fast TTK are dreadful at the game.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!