Star Trek
  • "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • HURRAH!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Strange New Worlds is a great title. Gotta hand them that. Im super ghey for Pike too. He was great. Spock....was ok until he ditched the beard.
    As long as this is different to Discovery Ill be happy. So now there is Discovery, Picard, SNW and the Section 31 show?
    I just want more TNG era trek. Proper good sci fi without the soap opera shite of Discovery.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Weirdly, Pike has the best chance of that.
  • The make him gay bit had me in stitches. It's so fucking true.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Section 31 are the covert spec ops people right? 

If so, shit idea for Trek, stop trying to force it to be some action/drama thing. Just write us a fucking sci fi show about star fleet having space adventures and meeting aliens and doing sci fi things, you cowards.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Wholeheartedly agree. Couldn’t suffer the guy in the above vid for more than a couple of minutes, but having just finished Picard a couple of days ago, my own opinion is that it was shit Star Trek. If that show existed without the baggage of Star Trek it would be passable sci-fi fair (though that final ep was a massive stinker, Star Trek or no). As it stands, it seems to me that the creators of Discovery and Picard have either forgotten how to Star Trek, or never even knew in the first place.

Title for the newly announced series might show promise that they’re going back to the old seeking out new life and new civilisations, story a week type deal, and they have a good Cap, but I’m not getting my hopes up.
    Get schwifty.
  • Weirdly, Pike has the best chance of that.

Yeh i agree. Pike show could have alien of the week but with an overarching main storyline. Interesting to see what discovery does now the show is way beyond any trek timeline.

Section 31 could be a good show if done right. But who knows what we will get.
  • Roujin wrote:
    Section 31 are the covert spec ops people right?  If so, shit idea for Trek, stop trying to force it to be some action/drama thing. Just write us a fucking sci fi show about star fleet having space adventures and meeting aliens and doing sci fi things, you cowards.

100% Team Rouj, here.

I don’t want Agents of Star Trek. I don’t want Star Trek’s version of Firefly. I don’t want ‘Star Trek crossed with X, Y, or Z’. I think the Star Trek franchise has done enough exploring of boundaries and genres now. It’s time to go back to what made it great in the first place. Wide-eyed optimism, exploration, idealism, and mystery aliens with weird foreheads.
  • I get that each series has tried to have one big idea, but only the ideas that are ‘reasons to explore’ really work.

TNG: Let’s make a modern version of Star Trek. Just more exploring.

DS9: What if Star Trek stayed in one location instead of exploring?

Voyager: Okay, we need to go back to exploring. What if we stranded one ship far away from the Federation?

Enterprise: What if Star Trek but nostalgia?

Discovery: Okay, we need to go back to exploring again. What if we did alternate dimensions?

Picard: What if Star Trek but retired and outside the Federation?

Section 31: What if Star Trek but spies?

So tell me, what’s this Pike one going to be? What’s the simple idea? I hope it’s just exploring.
  • Watching Plinkett I didnt realise Stewart inserted himself in the writer's room, a room already filled with somewhat questionable appointments.

It all feels a bit like Star Wars (although different in the detail). They are busy wanking themselves off on Comic Con announcements but the project is rudderless.

17,000 Executive Producers and not one of them watched the previous Star Trek shows or movies, including Stewart.

I wouldnt expect much from any upcoming Star Trek tbh.
  • What if Star Trek but it's a hilarious sitcom starring this guy...

treknobabble55_14.jpg
  • 200px-Davros_Wisher.png

Stick him with this guy and you've got a sci-fi crossover odd couple special.
  • TAKE MY MONEH!
  • I’ve not been able to find the time for Plinkett yet. Of all these concepts the one that sounds worse on paper is a pre-Kirk Enterprise show. Yet that’s the only one they’ve come close to making interesting. The Pike actor is great and they’ve got an interesting set up with him knowing his future, just like the audience do. And it promises the classic Trek format. They’ll obviously fuck it all up but there might be a few decent episodes in the mix.
  • The shame about Discovery is that the production, cast and basic set up are all there. They just don’t know what the fuck they’re doing with it. Setting it here there and everywhere, telling multiple piss poor stories at once. Picard needs to be erased. Section 31 should go into the bin right now. Do one show. Get it right. Then worry about expanding the story out.
  • I for one like Discovery and look forward to the section 31 series. DS9 brought in Section 31, The Obsidian Order and The Tal Shi Aar. So it could be an interesting show to see what they do from the shadows.

CBS aren't going to narrow it down to one trek show only, they have a whole streaming service that needs content and Star Trek is their biggest IP.

I do think a show based on the Star Trek Typhon Pact series could work. Especially as there are races mentioned in star trek but rarely explored.

The Typhon Pact was an alliance of six interstellar states formed in the wake of the Borg Invasion of 2381 as an opposing force to the United Federation of Planets and its allies. The pact consisted of the Romulan Star Empire, Tzenkethi Coalition, Breen Confederacy, Gorn Hegemony, Tholian Assembly and the Holy Order of the Kinshaya, all of which had hostile relations with the Federation and/or Klingon Empire in their previous history and all of which had typically previously maintained xenophobic and isolationist policies
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think what's annoying about the CBS shows is a TNG-style basic show that's just Star Trek with modern production values would have been fine - we still weren't far into the CGI era when Enterprise was cancelled and there was a big enough generational gap.

But they immediately leapt in with gimmicks and mirror universe grittiness and stuff. I'd like them to get the basics rights instead of seeing how many 'fuck's they can work into the script.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Also Discovery was the second time they made a TOS prequel and the money people insisted it look like the most futuristic thing ever. Just stop making them!
  • Discovery was meant to be a prequel? They fucked that up then.
  • I don't keep abreast of Trek things, so perhaps things have changed, but my understanding was that the ownership of rights to Star Trek is now so insanely complicated that no single media entity stands a hope in hell of making a coherent show based on the classic Trek universe?
  • I have the solution.

Just make a Galaxy Quest series instead.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    I don't keep abreast of Trek things, so perhaps things have changed, but my understanding was that the ownership of rights to Star Trek is now so insanely complicated that no single media entity stands a hope in hell of making a coherent show based on the classic Trek universe?

I don't think that would have affected anything up to the Enterprise appearing right at the end of Discovery Season 1 and even then I think they said the redesign of the TOS stuff was a creative decision rather than a rights issue. Even back in the Enterprise days there were issues with executives refusing to allow them to make a Star Trek that looked less futuristic than the one that came before.
  • poprock wrote:
    I have the solution. Just make a Galaxy Quest series instead.

Let's go one better. William Shatners TekWar. You will. give. me all. the money.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Technology moves on so the sets become more futuristic as time progresses. I didnt have any issue with discovery bridge looking more advanced that TOS. To do a TOS style bridge setup thats based on technology designs of the 1960s would have been a backwards step.

A quick google

Long story short: since 2005, the film and television production of Star Trek has been controlled by two separate corporate entities. From today (dec 2019), those companies will both be owned by the same parent company, ViacomCBS. Many Star Trek fans interpret this merger as “reuniting” the franchise.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    It went beyond just aesthetics though - the extensive use of holograms annoyed fans because it conflicted with canon, which is why it got written out in Discovery Season 2.
  • Yeah the aesthetics are fine. They redid the Enterprise bridge in an updated style, it was fine.

The problems are that they want the Star Trek brand but want to play fast and loose with the rest of it. Star Trek is boring, episodic, too constricted with lore, not gritty enough, no one says fuck, it’s for kids, made to an outdated syndication-led, one and done format. Let’s fix all that and we’ll get a smash hit and still call it Star Trek. There’s seven separate shows in the works at the moment. Seven! I still don’t know who this stuff is for. I don’t know why I’m watching it or even talking about it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    I have the solution. Just make a Galaxy Quest series instead.

This!
  • monkey wrote:
    Yeah the aesthetics are fine. They redid the Enterprise bridge in an updated style, it was fine. The problems are that they want the Star Trek brand but want to play fast and loose with the rest of it. Star Trek is boring, episodic, too constricted with lore, not gritty enough, no one says fuck, it’s for kids, made to an outdated syndication-led, one and done format. Let’s fix all that and we’ll get a smash hit and still call it Star Trek. There’s seven separate shows in the works at the moment. Seven! I still don’t know who this stuff is for. I don’t know why I’m watching it or even talking about it.
    Apparently they commissioned nine, but only seven of them were green-lit...
  • Here's what I'd like, Star Trek, but it's like House or something, something that's like a bit procedural. Maybe they have a really damaged starship somewhere and they're trying to limp home, and shit keeps breaking and they have to like macguyver it up to keep themselves going, along the way they gotta try and avoid things that previously wouldnt be an issue for them to encounter, they gotta barter or do shit for people for parts/resources. 

So like the episodes are all about the stuff that keeps breaking, what the crew have to do to fix it, maybe the ships computer is damaged and other systems like the replicators are damaged so they don't work well enough to properly look after the remaining crew. The interactions they have with aliens when they no longer have a kick ass starship to defend themselves with if it all goes a bit pete tong, and the effect it has on the crew if they're having to improvise and do extra duties if they lost key crew, deal with their lost shipmates, maybe they take the occasional useful stray onto the crew if they have skills that are required.

They're basically doing the usual seek out new life stuff, but in the context of having to do it at risk and out of necessity instead of just curiosity.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!