Retro Gaming
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Did they ever cover Clu Clu Land?  Love that wee game. A weird little combo of Pacman and light puzzle with odd controls to get your head around.

Haven't played it in many years - I can't remember if I got it for WiiWare but it was one I played a lot of emulated.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I still got my boxed copy from back in the day.

Definitely an underappreciated black box game.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Retro Bit making a Dreamcast controller with updated 6 face buttons, dpad and analogue stick.

https://mobile.twitter.com/retrobitgaming/status/1248989231902531587?lang=en

That's great news for the DC fighting games. Looks like they keeping the triggers too so wonder if they will map the same as the two extra face buttons?
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • That's cool, I never liked the DC pad outside of its introduction of triggers as standard.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yeah going back to it now it's horrible, lots of innovation at the time but not refined enough.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I don't use the DC pad that often now since I use the stick but for games like Bangai O it is still fine as far as I'm concerned. But the feel of the buttons and dpad were never that great - always a mystery to me how they could go from the something like the Saturn pad and its 3D controller to the DC pad and somehow mess it up.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Messing about with my Atari 7800 today. Asteroids and Centipede are still rock solid ports. Have the Pacman Collection Homebrew cart as well. 

I'd like to get myself an NTSC version with composite mod though . There's an expansion module for it now that saves high scores, adds in POKEY sound and is getting solid homebrew support. Money though. Modded consoles are £250+ - could get a PS4 for that.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I love the DC, but totally understand many criticisms of the pad. It clearly infilenced future pads, but the dpad was super sharp, proper thumb cutter, but then I think I spent most of my DC time playing SF3, Bangai-O, and MSR, all of whch involve a lot of thumb action
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I wouldn't fancy tackling a Streetfighter game with that pad but I find it grand for racing games with those triggers.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yup, D,DR,R,HP hurts every time
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Couple more upgrades for my N64 collection. Getting closer to be content with what I have but there's a few US-NTSC games I'd like and there don't seem to be much in the way of UK sellers for those. Want to avoid eBay.

I'm going to be in the market for selling some CIB PAL games I have. (*= already upgraded to JP)

Eyeing up Mario Tennis*, Mortal Kombat IV, Pokemon Puzzle League, F-Zero X*, Tetrisphere, Mystical Ninja 2, Mischief Makers, Wetrix*, Yosh's Story*.

All in very good condition and complete. I'm not 100% sure yet though. My PAL Mario64 and Pilotwings64 are clapped out to be honest. Tray missing and the boxes have seen better days. But I'll in all liklihood hold onto Mario64 as that and the PAL console were a present from Wifey back in '97.

I cannot fathom why these box designs ended up being converted to their charmless Western counterparts. 

Of course, these two made up the original launch alongside a Shogi game - and my collecting urges are kicking in......need to resist.

AcJ51eB.jpg
  • just watched a long play of Pac Land on youtube. Fuck me brought back memories. I don't think I ever saw anyone get past level 3 irl
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I remember the springboard being a massive block until I realised you could lengthen your jump by hammering on the jump button....But even then - level 3 was probably my limit...

Revisiting Pilotwings64 is a quite delightful. I don't think I unlocked everything first time around. I remember playing the human cannonball levels but not the sky diving or jumble hopper. Going to have a go at that. 

Incredible thinking this is 24 years old and it's criminal there hasn't been a proper console sequel. Sure the graphics look ropey at times but it holds together very well and at times it's still quite nice looking.

Wii Sports Resort has a nice plane flying mode but it's only more irritating because it gives a taste of how good a new Pilotwings would be.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    3DS had a (relatively) new Pilotwings!
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah. But handheld.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Couple more upgrades for my N64 collection. Getting closer to be content with what I have but there's a few US-NTSC games I'd like and there don't seem to be much in the way of UK sellers for those. Want to avoid eBay.
    What are the titles you're looking for? I can ask in a small retro discord I'm part of? Could collect them at my place and send them over in a bigger box once you've got what you're looking for. Shipping will still be awful though.
  • davyK wrote:
    I remember the springboard being a massive block until I realised you could lengthen your jump by hammering on the jump button....But even then - level 3 was probably my limit...

Revisiting Pilotwings64 is a quite delightful. I don't think I unlocked everything first time around. I remember playing the human cannonball levels but not the sky diving or jumble hopper. Going to have a go at that. 

Incredible thinking this is 24 years old and it's criminal there hasn't been a proper console sequel. Sure the graphics look ropey at times but it holds together very well and at times it's still quite nice looking.

Wii Sports Resort has a nice plane flying mode but it's only more irritating because it gives a taste of how good a new Pilotwings would be.

Was it hammering jump? I thought it was hammering forward on the joystick?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    I remember the springboard being a massive block until I realised you could lengthen your jump by hammering on the jump button....But even then - level 3 was probably my limit... Revisiting Pilotwings64 is a quite delightful. I don't think I unlocked everything first time around. I remember playing the human cannonball levels but not the sky diving or jumble hopper. Going to have a go at that.  Incredible thinking this is 24 years old and it's criminal there hasn't been a proper console sequel. Sure the graphics look ropey at times but it holds together very well and at times it's still quite nice looking. Wii Sports Resort has a nice plane flying mode but it's only more irritating because it gives a taste of how good a new Pilotwings would be.
    Was it hammering jump? I thought it was hammering forward on the joystick?

You're correct - it was right on the stick....
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nina wrote:
    What are the titles you're looking for? I can ask in a small retro discord I'm part of? Could collect them at my place and send them over in a bigger box once you've got what you're looking for. Shipping will still be awful though.

That's very kind. The ones in bold are what I'd consider getting first. (I like a puzzle game!) 

It would surprise you re postage. I paid postage for a repaired Asteroids Deluxe cabinet power supply from the US and it was reasonable.

My list for US games is as follows :

Cart only for these will do as I have PAL box and manual. To be honest I can probably get these on eBay but if you could pick one of these up at the same as a boxed game that would be good:

Mortal Kombat 4
    Goemon's Great Adventure
    Pokemon Puzzle League

Boxed and complete 

Bust-A-Move 2 : Arcade Edition
    Robotron 64
    Killer Instinct Gold
    Dr. Mario 64 - this one is expensive. It must have been a late limited run and it was a US exclusive. Cart only would be fine if in nice condition. One can get repro boxes and manuals now that I'd be prepared to take a punt on to see what the quality is like.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Copied that in the iso channel, complete cardboard is pretty hard to come by though.
  • Started Out Run 2 again today.

Still one of the best racers ever and possibly Sega's pinnacle of arcade racers, superb stuff.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • It's so wonderful, it should be prescribed as an antidepressant.
  • <3
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nina wrote:
    Copied that in the iso channel, complete cardboard is pretty hard to come by though.

Yeah. The Japanese look after their game boxes. Westerners don't it seems.
  • Started Out Run 2 again today.

Still one of the best racers ever and possibly Sega's pinnacle of arcade racers, superb stuff.

Which console?
  • PSP
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Took delivery of US version of Tetrisphere today.  No JP release and since I have CIB PAL in nice condition I don't see the point in paying for shitty US packaging - so got it cart only and I'm keeping my PAL copy for the shelf to keep my collector urges sated.

Have already done that for New Tetris and I'll be doing that with a few other N64 games that don't have a JP release.

Still as playable as ever. It's a very satisfying game - peeling those layers off the sphere or even getting to fire a missile into the heart of it bringing the old N64 to its knees dealing with the explosion..  :)     Needs an update.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nina wrote:

Yeah. I thought CIB US games wouldn't be difficult. Turns out it's the JP versions that are easy to get hold of (relatively speaking).
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Yeah N64 seems to be the of the more popular retro systems to collect for here, so I'm not sure if I can find any.

Feel free to look at US eBay as well, I can give you my address and could collect a couple games in a big box for you that way.
  • I tried to get into Tetrisphere recently, couldn't get my head around it.

I thought you'd have preferred the US boxes to the UK ones. They were a bit of a role reversal that gen with the PAL ones adopting the black template that the US SNES boxes had. Each of the sides of the US boxes had one of the four primary colours of the N64 logo instead, much more colourful.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!