Current Affairs
  • I could be wrong, it is an assumption, but I imagine the ones that actually make it over past China's blocking will be wealthy professionals who already own property here or who have family that do.
  • Indeed. The wealthy always have networks to make migration and moving house possible. If you lack the money and means (the average youth/student protestor); good luck. I seriously doubt the Tories will set up a rescue program to get those to the UK.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • It’s also about colonialism. The relevant Hong Kong people will have some connection to Britain and I think basically have British Passports.
  • Sadly, HK passports aren't equivalent to UK passports. Ironically, this was done as a countermeasure to stop poor HK people trying to move to the UK hence Bohnson's empty gesture.

Rich HK people would have options, the UK being one of many. Singapore, Taiwan, but also Malaysia and Indonesia have many Chinese wealthy/middle class diaspora. Better tax rates too, just ask Dyson!
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • More money pissed up the wall because of brexit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-53279783

UK government takes £400m stake in satellite firm OneWeb

The UK is spending $500m (£400m) on a stake in failed satellite firm OneWeb as part of a plan to replace the loss of the EU's Galileo sat-nav system.

OneWeb went bankrupt in March while trying to build a spacecraft network to deliver broadband.

The UK is part of a consortium with India's Bharti Global which won a bidding war for the company.

Business Secretary Alok Sharma said it would help deliver the "first UK sovereign space capability".

The government hopes the network could also work as a replacement for the loss of access to the EU's Galileo sat-nav system.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    They need to do something. We have lost access to the EU's Galileo system, and I'm guessing they are concerned that the US is no longer a reliable ally.
  • I haven't read a single take on this investment that makes it look a viable alternative to Galileo. All we can do is hope they know something we don't
  • They'll know the people the money will go to I presume.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    I haven't read a single take on this investment that makes it look a viable alternative to Galileo. All we can do is hope they know something we don't
    Desperate times...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I thought we could have stayed in the Galileo thing easily enough. But obviously chose not to, desire having previously out money into it. Just daft ideology.
  • The HKers with money have always had the choice between the UK, Canada and Australia, most of the semi wealthy and wealthy HKers I know have already had boltholes in these places since 1997 or just before. They won't be too keen to go to Taiwan etc.. Because it's too close to China. 
    The offer will appeal to the HK lower middle-classes/middle-class. Who will likely have a bit of cash after selling incredibly expensive property in HK and they would be classed as highly educated and high achievers here.  
    Of course the working class could be very keen to come but how welcomed they would be by this gov is another matter.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    We need someone to pick the fruit now the Europeans are out.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    We won't be able to find our way to the farms with no sat nav.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The reading from the news on the economy is grim. More and more job cuts. The deepest recession this country has ever known. Unemployment expected to rise to record levels. How do people keep paying their mortgage, their bills and putting food on the table? Does anyone have an answer or a way out of this?
  • Also today

Other lay-offs announced include:

Up to 5,000 job cuts at Upper Crust owner SSP Group

Up to 12,000 jobs at British Airways

Up to 700 jobs at Harrods

About 600 workers at shirtmaker TM Lewin

1,900 jobs at Café Rouge-owner Casual Dining Group

1,000 jobs at Pret A Manger

1,700 UK jobs at plane-maker Airbus

1,300 crew and 727 pilots at EasyJet

550 jobs are going at Daily Mirror publisher Reach

Boots 4,000 jobs and john lewis 1300 jobs
  • Yeah but, we get 50% off for a meal
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • You can’t go to Nando’s with 50% off on a weekday if you have to go to work. Better off unemployed, eh?
  • Looking at those numbers make me feel ill. I’ve got no chance com september.
  • Tell me about it. Putting the feelers out for work at the moment, I called one of my camera colleagues who's always got lots on. He'd just come out of Amazon where he'd been applying for a job as a delivery driver.
    Hasn't had a day's work in four months, with no relief from the government.
    I'm afraid the world has changed and it's not looking great for any of us.
    Still, least we've got our health...
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • It’s a shit show for a lot of people, but at least we have our ten pound vouchers
  • I fully intend to stake mine to the corpse of Boris Johnson.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Tax the rich and feed the poor, but the Tories will never do that. They’ll just tax unevenly and lower earners will suffer even more. 

I realise higher tax for high earners will affect my high-earning wife and she will moan, but I will be here to tell her to shut the fuck up.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Tax the rich and feed the poor, but the Tories will never do that. They’ll just tax unevenly and lower earners will suffer even more.  I realise higher tax for high earners will affect my high-earning wife and she will moan, but I will be here to tell her to shut the fuck up.

Had a similar based discussion with my mum - when she used the "some people are just rich, thats life" comment I had to sign off. 

I understand the value in merit based wealth accumulation. And that it isn't always fair in how merit is determined but there is simply so much money go around. I can only assume there is a definitive reason why an economy needs to have poor people at the bottom to work because it completely escapes me why taxing the rich gets push back from people who are not rich but they are ok with the same rich people absolutely creaming off the top on everything.
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    While the meal deal/restaurant thing is laudible. I have no desire to go to a pub or a restaurant yet. It feels like more of an ordeal laced with an unknown level of risk.

For those of us lucky enough to be still in employment it isn't a money off deal that will nudge me out the door.

I feel I probably should though.
  • Instead of a fucking meal deal they should have extended the furlough scheme if they wanted to help resteraunts
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    yep.

If they are the party of the SME they need to go further than they have done.
  • Feeling very lost and disempowered and frankly, sad about everything political right now. David Davies saying we should renege on the WA because "it was implied the EU would offer a FTA" is just about the end of things

So this bittersweet piece affected me more than usual. How sad that we've never made progress as a species and enable injustices as horrible as the Syrian war; how beautiful that for at least one life there is now hope

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-53397575/rouaa-s-story-from-syrian-refugee-to-uk-schoolgirl
  • Yeah I watched that piece on the news last night.
    We should be proud to give these families a home.
  • Yes, but so few of them, but at least some of them, and so full of hope and gratitude, but in my current mood couldn't help fear for her treatment at the hands of local racists. And sisters being ripped apart "I can never be happy when you're not near me" Jesus that got me
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I firmly believe that many of the troubles we experience in the world today are rooted in the rarity of true empathy in our political and industrial leaders. The qualities that gets them there means really deep down they don't care about how people feel.

It is a quality that is required at times - the tough decisions require it in many cases. But things have become skewed.

These people work their butts off - I have no doubt of that - and see no issue with zero hours contracts for example. So it's hard to see how they could empathise with those of us who value work/life balance.

Those who inherit wealth mistake that happenstance for intelligence or ability (I have it on good authority from someone who worked for that type - he even saw it in lottery winners after a while) and believe that it's a level playing field - that one only has to pull ones socks up - when it is becoming more and more difficult to improve ones lot.

Whether that's to do with upbringing (certainly packing our PM off to boarding school would have hardened any attitude he may have had re family separation and it's a safe bet that many others suffered the same) or just plain old mild psychopathy or a combination of both, I feel globally we are leaderless in most spheres of life. There aren't that many "humans" among them.

The virus has exposed how useless the free market is in face of a global crisis but whether that will dampen fervour for it is another matter - simply because it doesn't personally affect enough of those who can change it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!