How to Start a Pension in the Face of Economic Armaggedon
  • According to The Bank of England there's no need to panic. I'm sure everything is going to be perfectly fine...
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Just print money, whats the worst that could happen?
  • Nobody in charge has never not printed money. Not once.
  • According to The Bank of England there's no need to panic. I'm sure everything is going to be perfectly fine...

The think it will be a V shaped bounce back, which i think is optimistic but the super nerds understand much better than i.

What this pandemic has done is sped up the shift to internet shopping. We really do need a national or local plan(s) for the high street.
  • How on earth is this nearly back at the level it was in February?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Because buy to let landlords in the US haven't started defaulting on their mortgages yet.
  • Never underestimate greed over common sense.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    According to The Bank of England there's no need to panic. I'm sure everything is going to be perfectly fine...

The think it will be a V shaped bounce back, which i think is optimistic but the super nerds understand much better than i.

What this pandemic has done is sped up the shift to internet shopping. We really do need a national or local plan(s) for the high street.

I reckon a lower case h is the real shape of things to come.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • US elections in November should be coinciding with a second (and possibly worse) peak. He might survive but I doubt it.

If he goes expect the S&P to drop and expect a boost if he stays. I'd call it paradoxical if it wasn't always this way.
  • poprock wrote:
    The property market has gone insane around here. Estate agents reopened on Monday and there’s a bit of a gold rush. 

In Scotland, homes are advertised at an ‘offers over’ price and it’s like a silent auction. Normally you can expect offers at least 10–20% over the ‘offers over’ price. Right now so many people are desperate to buy and move after lockdown that estate agents are receiving offers up to 40–50% over. Off the record chat is that a lot of it is people wanting to move up from London.

Sounds like London 5 years ago. But do you mean 40/50k, not %?

Don't think we ever saw 40/50%. You sure that's not desperate chat by estate agents trying to get the market going again?
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Only a few exceptional properties, but actually 40–50% yeah. Pretty much everything here is going more than 20% over. A year ago 20% would have been exceptional with 7–10% the norm.

This is only expected to last a few more weeks. By Autumn things should slow down.
  • The SnP 500 has hit an all time high. *shrugs*
  • Gotta say, props to Sunak throughout all this. He'd only just been made Chancellor and he's risen to the challenge pretty well. I doubt he'll be able to do much about the upcoming post covid brexit apocalypse that may well be the worst depression in British history but the boy done good.
  • I think he’s postponed the apocalypse longer than anyone could reasonably have expected.
  • So there's been a long overdue correction today to the markets, especially tech. Basically it means eveyone got too greedy and it has slipped a bit. It's pretty small so it could and perhaps should drop further. As always keep calm and carry on.

In fact pretend you never read this post - this is just a quick reminder to remind you to forget about all this except to keep putting in, ideally via direct debit so you can keep forgetting about it.
  • So there's been a long overdue correction today to the markets, especially tech. Basically it means eveyone got too greedy and it has slipped a bit. It's pretty small so it could and perhaps should drop further. As always keep calm and carry on. In fact pretend you never read this post - this is just a quick reminder to remind you to forget about all this except to keep putting in, ideally via direct debit so you can keep forgetting about it.

I only ever remember i have this once you let me know about it.  Stop it and let me have a nice surprise in 30 years time.
  • Presuming i'm not dead by then oc.
  • Yes, forget I said anything apart from the bit about regularly putting in.

Check out this graph of the madness since the pandemic. No wonder there's been a correction.

754.jpg?width=620&quality=45&auto=format&fit=max&dpr=2&s=fe29cb0e633d4237f8f1862f3a4dd6ee
  • It's prob my fault cos i remembered about this on Tuesday and stuck an extra 50 quid in, so it makes sense it would drop after! ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    https://www.cavendishonline.co.uk/fidelitysale

Cevendish are selling to Fidelity. Not sure what the impact of this is fee wise. They state that fees will stay the same for at least a year. That type of language implies that fees could go up.
  • Anyone else get this mail?

Dear Dinostar77

I am writing to advise you that Cavendish Online Investments Ltd has been acquired by the Fidelity International group of companies.

As a business we came to a crossroads where we had to make a decision in relation to the longer term. One of the reasons why we have decided at this point to sell the business to Fidelity is to provide for our customers a route to continue to invest in Stocks and Shares ISAs, Investments and Pensions. Fidelity International provides excellent service, value and is very well placed to administer your investments for the long term, combined with the least disruption as you already use and are familiar with their platform.

What does this mean for you?

The good news is that for at least 12 months you will pay the same ongoing platform charges (0.25% per annum for accounts valued at less than £200,000 and 0.20% for accounts valued at more than £200,000) as stated in the current terms.

Further good news is that as your investments and/or pensions are already with Fidelity there will be no transferring of assets from one platform to another and no time ‘out of the market’. You will be able to continue to use the same log in details that you are using today to access your accounts online.

In addition, as a direct customer of Fidelity you will have access to the full capability of Fidelity’s investment and pension platform. This will provide you with a more in-depth user experience, especially for pensions. Share dealing capabilities for those of you that have the FundsNetwork Pension will be bought in line with how you may currently be trading if you have an ISA or Investment Account with us, with the ability to place real-time trading online, at a cost of £10 per trade. You will receive this new pension functionality from 20th November 2020, in the meantime please continue to use the Cavendish Online website to place pension deals.

Please accept this email as formal notice that from the 2nd October 2020 Cavendish Online Limited and Cavendish Online Investments Limited will cease providing you services via the Fidelity FundsNetwork platform. From this date, Fidelity will own the relationship you previously had with Cavendish. Your account(s) with Fidelity will continue as they are but your relationship will be moved to Financial Administration Services Limited, trading as Fidelity Personal Investing, which is Fidelity’s platform dedicated to its direct customers.

Fidelity will write to you separately to welcome you, outline the additional benefits of being a Fidelity Personal Investing customer and explain the next steps. You can make contact or ask questions by sending them a secure message or by phoning them on 0800 358 4060.

Lastly, thank you for being a customer of Cavendish Online Investments Ltd, we greatly appreciate the business that you have given us.

For more information please visit www.cavendishonline.co.uk/fidelitysale

• b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep look up
  • Lol 1 min before i posted
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Great minds eh Dino? ;-)
  • I'd advise keeping it while it stays cheap and we'll look at alternatives in a few months.
  • Someone remind me at some point.
  • I think fidelity has no fees if you have a direct debit.

At least I think so!
  • https://news.sky.com/story/gamestop-shares-fall-44-after-trading-apps-block-reddit-fuelled-surge-12201860

The irony being that shorting it now, at a ridiculously inflated price, would yield TREMENDOUS amounts.
  • Christ it's tempting.
  • Did you partake in any of these shenanigans?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!