Trials Rising - February 2019
  • You just have to complete the course, so it's not that bad. They're essential tutorials too, so well worth putting time into.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I assume I've still got my save on Bone, should be ready to go.

Give me an album and I will start by setting a time. Cut off can be next Wednesday.

Even if you guys don't get into it I don't mind running myself for a bit.
  • You pick the album pls, I'll play to that.
  • Alright then.....

• 47mins locked. Will play this Weds prob.
  • While a German man shouts at you about evolution.

• 36.785 at around 35 minutes. Messy. In total I think I only shaved 3 seconds off my first run.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    voices wrote:
    While a German man shouts at you about evolution.

Trials Evolution?

Quite liking the new format but also quite glad to not actually have Rising.
  • Just generally evolution. It’s a strange album.
  • Yah get on it you slacker.
  • Apologies for lateness, still haven't played.  Got the album on now though.
  • Played on Switch as my Bone copy still hasn't turned up. Didn't watch vids so I'm probably doing the wrong thing here and there. 39.579, which means I narrowly nabbed platinum, but there's a lot to come off. Couldn't do it in time though, spent the last 20 mins of the album achieving nothing. Decent track.

Intesting album too. As usual with this sort I thing I can say I liked the music but disliked the vocals.
  • I think sometimes you can get into a little rut with tracks, and end up taking so many risks that the chances of finishing get very low. It's fine if you're going to grind out the track for hours, but 40 minutes doesn't afford much time.
  • I think it's a great format for not letting it take over my life.  I resent Trials a bit, partly for how good it is.  The rut is real, I often found that the first handful of goes on a fresh session were better than the last hour or so of my previous attempt.  Happy to do this even if it's just us.  I reckon @Nick_MD should get back on the bike though...
  • There's another track out by the same designer, so we can do that. I'll give other people a bit of time to give this one a go - perhaps until Friday?
  • I'd have to buy the game and tbh I don't think I'd get the use out of it. Enjoying lurking in the chat though.
  • Next track - central park. I can't find a decent video of it, but it's another beautiful track by the same designer. 

Moot - your turn to suggest an album for our two person trials league.
  • Let's do this.

[No idea why I can't post any pictures from work - insert pic of Vitalogy]

(Pearl Jam - if it's the remastered one on whatever streaming platform you're using we stop at the end of track 14)
  • Had to pause it after half an album (forgot my daughter has an exercise class) but I don't think this track's much cop for my meagre skills. Anything with uphill bunny hops (over TNT) feels more low level Evolution Extreme than Hard to me. Obvs this is no thang for most even half decent Trials players but even with practice I've never been a technical rider. 8 faults 2mins 08secs is the pathetic non silver medal position from me atm. I'll be lucky to get it down to 2 faults with half an hour left.
  • I'll have a look. By virtue of the format I haven't played it yet.
  • 27.994, and somehow my stream failed so I can't show how it went. 

I really enjoyed the track. From barely getting the platinum (which I think is 31 secondsish) around the 10-15 minute mark, to trying to get under 30 seconds, and then watching a replay and understanding how the line worked at the start. Eventually I managed to start hitting that line reasonably consistently, and around the start of Stupidmop I hit my time. I got close to it a few times, and mucked up the end ahead. 

Overall a fun 50 minutes, but I can understand why you didn't like the track. The key skill - a kind of bunny hop squish over curved objects - is quite a high level technique. Sorry, I just thought it looked good!

• I like the album, but I don't love it. The only album from Pearl Jam I really got into was the first - Ten. For whatever reason, Eddie Vedders singing doesn't make me believe what he's saying, and the instruments don't have as much bite as I want. Music is such a subjective thing, so I can get why someone would love the album. It's great, but it doesn't stir me.
  • It's a good track, I've just been off the bike too long to get to grips with it in a limited time.  And while it's got a great line for a decent time it's not well suited for scrub types - a couple of the sections are much easier to hit in the flow than they are if you have to restart at a checkpoint.  

Always had a massive soft spot for the stadium rock balladry of Vedder & co, Vitalogy was a slightly weirder effort from them.  I liked all their albums up to Riot Act.  Ten probably is the best though.
  • Bah - played another 30 minutes and took more than 0.3 off, but it hasn't saved. I really like the track. Hards are right in my sweet spot.
  • Another track and album then? Tracks easy, but I'm torn between albums which might be liked versus a band I want to talk about.
  • I'm ready to go again, yep. Go for tha band you want to talk about, sounds intriguing.
  • Right - track is Ten Peaks. Album is Grey Britain by Gallows.

I think you're going to bounce hard off this album, and to be honest I don't get on with the vocals (provided by Frank Carter, who has gone on to form Frank Carter and the Rattlesnakes, which have had some chart success) . I've partly picked it because it's the antithesis to Pearl Jam - I believe it all, even if I don't love it.

The Gallows that I know started the moment Frank Carter left the band and Wade joined (with the first song of theirs I heard being True Colours, all 36 seconds of it - I'd kind of lost touch with new music between 2001 and 2010). You can find it on youtube - it still makes the hairs on my neck stand up. Ha - probably still not many people's cup of tea.

I think the general consensus is that the band were never as good after Frank left, but they really clicked for me. I've gone back to Grey Britain a lot, and while there are some amazing songs that really fit the times (it came out in 2009, so post/mid credit crunch - Misery is a great song, so watch out for that one in the midst of an angry ginger man hoarsely shouting). I can't/don't love it. 

I recently found out that the guy that wrote most(/all?) of the songs went on to form another band - Gold Key - who are actually kind of alright. A bit 'Sixth Form rock' for me, but the catchy hooks are all still there. Conversely, I'm not really a fan of what Frank went on to do (Juggernaut is a banger though - got to admit that).

Anyway; I don't think Frank was the thing that made Gallows great.
  • I've put a bit of time in with Gallows actually, not from my own collection but quite a lot on the old communal speakers at work. Will download the track/album shortly.
  • Bit of a throwback. I spent a few days grinding true scotsman and got the diamond. Pretty pleased with myself for finally getting it.

I'll upload when I'm home (was delaying gym to get it...)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!