Work - The pros and the cons...
  • I find my Twitter doomscroll-y right now.  Lots of chatter about vaccination rates vs actual immunisations (2 doses pls), new variants, please stay at home, my <family member> passed away...

And then there's the politics and all the twatfaces that respond to everything.  Good news is few and far between in my echo chamber.

Meetings this week... I counted 13.  And I requested that no more are put in my diary at the start of the week cos me and my team have a huge piece of work that needs completed.  Unfortunately not had enough time on that work cos the meetings, and then the emails that won't wait...

Of course, I am supposed to be doing that work right now...
  • I wonder if there’s a pithy name for the desperate refresh of a page just in the hope there’s an update. It’s the near cousin to the cycle of going through - say - Twitter, Facebook, Forum(s), Twitter... - which will inevitably have updates by the completion of the cycle.
  • I wonder if there’s a pithy name for the desperate refresh of a page just in the hope there’s an update. It’s the near cousin to the cycle of going through - say - Twitter, Facebook, Forum(s), Twitter... - which will inevitably have updates by the completion of the cycle.

Social Media Wanking? Hey, a new meaning to SJW that kinda works for both....
    SFV - reddave360

A deep existential boredom.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I wonder if there’s a pithy name for the desperate refresh of a page just in the hope there’s an update. It’s the near cousin to the cycle of going through - say - Twitter, Facebook, Forum(s), Twitter... - which will inevitably have updates by the completion of the cycle.

C(trl)R avings
    F(5)utility
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Troof.
    In a department specific, but company wide, Zoom meeting of about 30+ people just before Xmas. One attendee sent an email to the person sharing his screen talking about another attendee who was speaking at the time.
    The email subject said “I can’t fucking stand x” x being the person who was talking.
    Whoops.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Haha, numpty
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Catch me on a stock and I've got that well beat. Twice.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    We had a To: All email reminding us to please be wearing clothes for conference calls and I never find out why.

This still bugs me. I want details.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    My two personal most embarrassing work stories:
    - accidentally buying an extra large Twix which I decided I read too hungry for, so innocently asking my secretary if she'd like a finger
    - mispronouncing two words in French when auditing Eurotunnel, and inadvertantly asking about anal sex

Hopefully we can hear yours tomorrow night, nick :D. I obviously nearly died in both.
  • I was in the kitchen at work once talking about different teas, I said to a colleague just as a red-headed female colleague walked past, 'not gonna lie I do like red bush'.

I did a proper eyes emoji and walked off.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Strong.
  • The above isn't even one of the two I was referring to.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    This was intentional, but still tickles me. Induction at a call centre about 15 years ago, was the stand up and introduce yourself thing, one of the questions from the other inductees was "celebrity crush" I answered Drew Barrymore, then after a pause added "so hot in ET"
  • Hahahaha, the balls to do it man, props.
  • That's brilliant.

I did something similar years back. I was 19 and on day one of a 5 month long PT instructor training course. It was the stand up and introduce yourself bit which includes why you want to be a PT.

Lots of the group stood up and gave the usual answers "I want to help people" or "I want to do something I'm passionate about"

I stood up and said "I want to be a PT so I can make money and meet lots of women"

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • In one of our weekly zoom meetings I waited until the MD jumped up to get something in another room, quickly took a screengrab of his room then set it as my zoom background, then waited for him to notice.
    It took a little less than 5 mins and the double take when he did was priceless. Thank Christ he laughed.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    pantyfire wrote:
    In one of our weekly zoom meetings I waited until the MD jumped up to get something in another room, quickly took a screengrab of his room then set it as my zoom background, then waited for him to notice.
    It took a little less than 5 mins and the double take when he did was priceless. Thank Christ he laughed.

I'm stealing that one.
  • One of our guys set up a Zoom background video of himself bringing a bottle of water into the room and putting it on the desk. So that during a call he could say ‘Hold on, I’m going to get some water’ and have it delivered by himself. Outstanding effort.
  • Same guy’s Zoom this morning:

neOunfJ.jpg
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    so the thing i learnt is that the host can have all chats including private saved at the end of a zoom call
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • poprock wrote:
    Same guy’s Zoom this morning:

neOunfJ.jpg

I created a few of these for this mornings Teams meeting.

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    oh fucking wednesday

"hi guys URGENT that project from september the client is back and this is moving now, we've done some work on the scene can we send it over please"

yeah go for it- hey wait this is a c4d scene?

"oh yeah we're using that now and this render engine"

oh okay, here are your test frames, this'll cost X based on these times, this look okay to commit?

"yeah they look great but the scene and cameras wont be finished till tomorrow but can you render 4 and give us an estimate speak later"

okay this now cost Y, 3 times as much at 4k, when do you think the scenes will be ready this is potentially 6 days of rendering

"hi guys boss man here Y is more X, which is what you quoted in september"

boss man, we can render N frames at 4k but that's it

"hi guys me again don't think we do this now"

are you saying you haven't got X and don't want N?

"oh no we do want those will send the scenes later"

okay please do because we need to hit GO is you want them for monday

"oh hi we can send half now- how many can you render between monday and tuesday afternoon?"

not that many

"okay will send most later and sign off"

okay

"okay heres a few scenes will send another at the weekend"

I fucking hate this firm
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • This all sounds familiar.
    "We've promised the client it will be done by Monday"
    Did you not think to ask anyone with technical knowledge first moron!
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    This all sounds familiar.
    "We've promised the client it will be done by Monday"
    Did you not think to ask anyone with technical knowledge first moron!

Hahaha, never

That's why I became my own BA, just to stop other people making shitty promises for be

Love the background trickery above, I've not done these zoom stuff, and always tried to avoid webinars where I could, so this is all novel to me
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've had many a similar conversation. Obviously not in the creative field, but similar.

Client: "we need x and y, by next Friday"

My boss: "we can definitely do that, plus we can throw in z as well"

Me after my boss tells me what he's done: "we can do x easily. We cant do y at all and I don't even know what the fuck z is"

• beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    it's absolutely taking the michael

like i couldn't be arsed saying why dont you take all 3thousand frames at 1080 you can have them before monday then run em through fusion for 4k upscale before you deliver wednesday like

just doing whatever they want/will pay cos we're just here to deliver production ready gear not appraise their pipeline and want something from 3 days of fucking about and losing a weekend to people who mislead their clients, and us their supplier

like who even goes oh yeah we'll do this architecture and interiors in c4d- oh people who aren't paying for the correct skill set- I imagine they've lost whoever was working properly in max who sent us whatever the fuck it was we quoted for last year - 

sorry - a problem shared and all that - but yeah all about divvies making promises, like youse say, who don't have an igloo - like they have probably been working on this since new year so am just vexed at them
  • C4d can do the job but it is unusual. Switching from Max to C4d mid project screams of switching contractor though. Probably because they pissed about the first one.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Had to take out licenses for the render engine across the farm too.

"Hi guys these shots look too dark, did you change anything in setup? Please can you check these settings they should be..."

Hi can you open the zip you sent us on your side and tell us what they are because that's what would've been sent to the farm.

:Headdeskanimloopwashoutlut:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!