Nioh
  • Is dodge affected by weight class? I know movement feels more sluggish in the higher weight class, but I am always panicking when dodging so not noticed. I feel dodging is less effective in general than blocking, but I also find parrying very strict so maybe I am just feeling the old man hands. 

400 deaths now! Last boss I fought had a wing, and he had a very nasty grab at the end of the combo, so I took it very cautious after a few drubbings. Winning still feels great. After that I did some sub missions instead, including Demon King and Horns on Head, Dragonfly in Hand. Fucking mad fights, each one had at least one instakill through block attack, but I did both. 

I have been so careless with deaths that I am now around 15 levels behind the recommended level. Whoops!
  • Curtis wrote:
    Oohh blue is NPC? Gotcha, didnt realise what all the coloured graves meant.
    I woudn't bother using the blue phantoms. They're weak-sauce and the AI is very basic (its supposed to mimic the playstyle of the player who dropped it). The most important thing for boss fights is to be on-point with your burst counters (RT+B, after they flash red and attack). Other than that Mezuki is pretty easy if you stay up in his face and can confidently evade (in low stance) through his swings. Or you can semi-cheese him by doing ring-o-rosies around the hut. lol! He's too big to navigate the corners properly and gets stuck sometimes, which is your opportunity to lay in some free damage.  ;)
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    But blue npc's make good cannon fodder. :) Where i (and i play differently to Curtis) do use blue npc's is occasional boss fight (when i just get annoyed and want it over and done). I used a blue npc for mezuki the only boss fight i have used a blue npc for. Also i use them on the occasion sub mission as some of those are just evil bastards and you need someone to watch your back. There was a sub mission yesterday where i would end up with 3/4 enemies trying to fight me. Just ridiculous so needed help of cannon fodder to thin out the herd. Where i definitely do use blue npc is when i want to get a load of summoning cups. 2 against 1 when fighting red graves is easier. Its even easier when you get a mission based npc who cant die tagging along. Then i activate every red grave i find and just batter them mindlessly into the abyss. I would add for @DS using the torji gate is useful after you have cleared a few levels. Go to random encounters. Items you use online dont come out of your single player game stock. Items you do get online go into your single player game stock as do your amrita (stuff you use to level up). Its also fun to help people and you also learn stuff from them especially if your new to the series.

Page turn advice for DS
  • Tempy wrote:
    Is dodge affected by weight class? I know movement feels more sluggish in the higher weight class, but I am always panicking when dodging so not noticed. I feel dodging is less effective in general than blocking, but I also find parrying very strict so maybe I am just feeling the old man hands. 

400 deaths now! Last boss I fought had a wing, and he had a very nasty grab at the end of the combo, so I took it very cautious after a few drubbings. Winning still feels great. After that I did some sub missions instead, including Demon King and Horns on Head, Dragonfly in Hand. Fucking mad fights, each one had at least one instakill through block attack, but I did both. 

I have been so careless with deaths that I am now around 15 levels behind the recommended level. Whoops!

Are you using your spirit stones at the shrines? I find that you pick up more than you think and sometimes they get you over the edge to level up. I also sometimes turn around and head back to the shrine to level up if i hit the amrita target to level up. Also use the thing in your inventory to summon your guardian spirit and amrita back. Useful if you were carrying alot of amrita.

I think dodge is affected by weight class. I try to keep mine under 30%, protagonist feels faster, but i am wearing light armour. Curtis might know better.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Cheers for all the tips lads.

I'm rocking light armour cos lol heavy. Fucked in about 2 hits though. Starting to get the dodge timing down though.

I'm not really an Elfbell kinda guy so its just hammering nut against the wall til I break through.
  • Yeah I only use spirit stones when I need to prop myself up some amrita for a level, I am not finding the curve too harsh so far. Just been a dunce and let myself die too often. I will never learn.

I am also like DS, not a fan of summons and co-op in this stuff until I've done it myself.
  • The good thing about the online is you can only help out for a level you have cleared yourself. So it works alongside your single player campaign. Its a fun sandbox and there are different playstyles so its nice to have the choice of you want to take it. Though much more satisfying to beat a boss by yourself.

I need to go look at my number of deaths, when i find the stat. I think with me i dont block enough and tend to use rolls and dodges which gets me into trouble when i dont dodge or roll far or quick enough and get hit. The owl guy is still a bastard and the rifle/arrow to the head dont do much damage to him. Which means i cant soften him up before i go in to do the heavy damage.
  • There's definitely a benefit to it, sure, it's just not my bag. I will probably do it when I've cleared the single player stuff for the first time.

Stats are on the Titles page - make sure you're checking there for your prestige stuff which is a nice little boost to a variety of stats - and gameplay records I think? Second page of that. There's a lot of them.

For the Owl, make sure you're using high stance overhead strikes to hit his eyes - massive stamina damage for free.
  • Checked and ive died 140 times. Probably 20 of those are through drowning by being a clutz. Im in region 2 still so that number will probably go up significantly when i get to the middle of the game.
  • Curtis wrote:
    Fuck it. Just double-dipped. May as well use my extensive experience to guide some of these fresh fish through the troublesome parts. Plus there are new DLC weapons which I'm hoping are available from the off. And its my favourite game of recent years, so at £25, its a no-brainer decision. Don't worry, I'll have caught up with you lot in one session.

Yes!
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • My bloody god. "The Sunmata Yokai Hut". The fight at the bottom of the drained lake. Bloody hell. Im knackered. That was relentless.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So PS4 nioh 2 upgrades to ps5 remaster for free. But did Nioh 1 to nioh remaster? Link last page didn't suggest so, which feels kinda sad if you want those next gen shinies? Collection itself is very expensive Vs just buying 2...
  • They're 80 hours long each, I think you'll be fine with just the most recent one.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Nioh OG got a bad rep because it was considered a Souls x Ninja Gaiden rip-off at the time. The game has way more depth than that, but not enough Souls crowd got on board. 

Yes the OG game is bloated and overly long. No 3rd person melee combat RPG should take 70 hours minimum to complete! If you wanna go 100%, you're talking close to 100 hours.

Nioh 2 is a perfect sequel - it improves on the original in every way. They made it somehow accessible to fresh fish, and yet deep enough that you can spend countless hours tinkering with builds. 

Its my favourite game of recent years. Nioh 2 has it ALL! Its a 10/10 game played by very few. You need to play it to understand what i'm saying. Forget your Souls reservations. Its not the same at all! 

What it is, is utterly sublime!
  • But still bloated and overly long.

The combat is as good as anything. The enemy designs, weapons, equipment and build options too. But the level design isn't varied enough to carry it for 80 hours. They could easily have snipped out 4 or 5 levels in it and spent more time making the others more distinctive to improve the experience.

It's still great like. Just beware the bloat.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    So PS4 nioh 2 upgrades to ps5 remaster for free. But did Nioh 1 to nioh remaster? Link last page didn't suggest so, which feels kinda sad if you want those next gen shinies? Collection itself is very expensive Vs just buying 2...

Nioh collection on PS5 upscales both games. Thats what the eurogamer analysis said. Whether Nioh OG comes for free if you upgrade from the PS4 version not sure.

I agree with both Curtis and JonB comments. The game does become alittle diablo-esk with the loot, you just want purple or green weapons after awhile to improve your armour and weapons so you can hit harder, to get better weapons and armour so you can hit harder etc. Its addictive.

The sidebar to this is the better it does with players the more chance we have of a proper ninja gaiden sequel.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The first game (which I own) doesn't get a free upgrade.

Not sure I cba to get the second or the collection though. Will prob try it in BC anyway cos it's still meant to be nice, just not quite the full set of graphics options.
  • Had a hilarious (well not at the time) benny hill momemt with a boss at the top of a castle. Finally got him down to a sliver of health, i was in the same situation. Desperately needed a gulp of elixer then a few blows and he was finished. Ran around in circles for over a minute with him just chasing me. Not trying to hit me just chasing me. Im shouting at the tv for him to try a attack so i can get that split second to dodge and take a swig of elixer. He finally tries a attack, i dodge, get the space, take my spinach then go popeye on his ass. Boss dead.

Afterwards i went to the torji gate and made myself available for summoning. Thinking people would struggle with this level and the boss. I get called it straight away. Two of us summoned to help the summoner. We laud waste to the castle and the boss. More annoyingly the summoner was fighting the boss for the first time as we went in (cut scene kicked in). But we prevailed. Made me laugh. Took me umpteen times to learn how to beat the boss myself, his attacks etc and online we just go in and rush him all three of us. He never stood a chance.
  • DLSS has been added for Nvidia cards.
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    ayns wrote:
    DLSS has been added for Nvidia cards.

Runs at 4k maxed native 60fps anyway, but its a good touch.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Ryu Hayabusa skin available to all. Check the Boons tab at the Shrine.
  • Cheers curtis, i see this is getting more love on rllmuk.
  • Got this for £5 from Asda Leicester. Quite happy with that.

Now need that PS5 to see it in all its glory.
  • Started 2. Jesus fuck this is tough. Maybe starting with the Tonfa is not a good idea. Don't remember the first game being quite so brutal?
  • I played it pretty straight with a sword and the spinning blade thingies. I also used the switch glaive for a while too.
  • Started 2. Jesus fuck this is tough. Maybe starting with the Tonfa is not a good idea. Don't remember the first game being quite so brutal?

Lol, i felt like that when i started it.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    I played it pretty straight with a sword and the spinning blade thingies. I also used the switch glaive for a while too.

Yeah I really fancied trying something different but I'm getting mauled by the first demon lol. Might just go sword then.

• You may want to play purist, but don't be afraid to ask for help either. You can often find someone who's willing to buddy you around, so that you can build up some amrita and better equipment.

I didn't bother with changing stances at all (mid-stance for the win), but you do need to get that Ki burst down. You'll know that from playing the first though.
  • Enenra, what a git.

Died a million times until I realised I could do the ki dash thing to get some distance. It was the alternative world teleport and fast triple swing that was killing me every time until then.
  • Redid the level as I’d missed a shrine dude and enrenra went down on 2nd attempt today. Funny how things are different the next day.
  • This game was too much for old chalice. Cheers to Syph for the lend but there's no way this game fits into my life these days. It just stomped all over me.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!