The Star Wars thread - "Chewie, we're home."
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I think it’s actually a good idea. Johnson was the only director that Disney got in for any of the movies that showed any willingness to buck any part of the formula and try and do something new. If there’s any future to the film franchises, it’s with someone like Johnson.

I think he thinks hes doing a triology but disney/lucasfilm wont let him anywhere near the franchise. The guy who almost killed the golden goose. Should never be allowed near a SW filmset again.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Apparently this is the entirety of Snoke’s scenes in TFA.

I really don’t think that the argument that his death in the second film made a decent third film impossible holds much weight.

Completely fucked the third movie. What a asshole of a egotistical delusioned director.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Sorry, his well-reviewed, billion dollar grossing film almost killed what?
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
  • The Force Awakens was great in one aspect.
    It introduced new Star Wars characters that I really liked and I thought great things could be done with them. A hot-shot fighter pilot, an ex-stormtrooper and a kickass manifest destiny Mary Sue.
    But then it went and... not quite ruined it, but left me ultimately disappointed that it was a A New Hope at the end of the day.

The last Jedi - I initially quite enjoyed it. But it’s main problem is that the tense fleet depleting bloodhound chase had been done a zillion times better in the Battlestar Galactica tv series. The hyper jump/engine reset sequence that was, what? 2 -3 episodes was so tense it was fantastic. And it turns out Johnson couldn’t ape that without copying it totally. He was also the absolute last person to shoehorn into the middle of a trilogy.

Rise of Skywalker. It’s main problem was that it then had to rewrite and at the same time get everything that was supposed to be in JJs second movie fleshed out. And it was rushed. Far, far too rushed. The movie for the first 30-40mins is like watching a music video from the late 90s. It’s awful.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Absolutely loving Dinos energy there.
  • Let's see what Doomcock has to say about this.
  • hahahaha
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    Had 8 been good, I would have cared enough to be annoyed about 9.   But as 8 killed all my enthusiasm, I didn't give a single shit about 9 and still don't.  I barely remember a thing about it.  It's a fleeting memory like any other generic action flick. 9 may or may not be better or worse than 8 but 8 made sure I don't care either way.
    This take had me make a cup of tea and eat that last slice of cake. Cheers.

I don't know what that means but you're welcome.
  • Look at the Star Wars division in this very forum. Division generated by Rian Johnson's TLJ. If a new RJ Star Wars movie came out I know some of us wouldnt pay to see it. Really think Disney is going to go down that route? 
    I wont even watch TLJ on Disney +, dont want to add to its viewing figures.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Look at the Star Wars division in this very forum. Division generated by Rian Johnson's TLJ. If a new RJ Star Wars movie came out I know some of us wouldnt pay to see it. Really think Disney is going to go down that route? 
    I wont even watch TLJ on Disney +, dont want to add to its viewing figures.

Mark Hamill said recently he'd like to give Luke Skywalker a proper send off. There have been rumours that the TLJ and RoS would be "re-done" as limited season series on Disney +. So 7-8 epsiodes for each film to bascially rewrite them and correct the mistakes i.e. killing off Snoke in TLJ etc. Lets see if that does happen.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    $1.3bn. 14th highest grossing film ever. 2nd highest grossing Star Wars film ever, making Disney more money than Abrams’ second bite at the cherry. But I’m sure that, for Disney, all of that pales into insignificance next to the displeasure of some Star Wars fans.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Lol, as for those ‘mistakes’, according to Abrams and Kathleen Kennedy they were planned from the start.

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a28876746/jj-abrams-star-wars-the-last-jedi-trilogy-impact/
  • Yossarian wrote:
    $1.3bn. 14th highest grossing film ever. 2nd highest grossing Star Wars film ever, making Disney more money than Abrams’ second bite at the cherry. But I’m sure that, for Disney, all of that pales into insignificance next to the displeasure of some Star Wars fans.
    Nobody is arguing that it made didn't make money. But I would argue that a huge portion of people that viewed it, did so because they'd already decided they would watch it regardless of reviews etc., plus it reviewed well. I even paid to watch it twice unfortunately (once at release, then again a couple weeks later as my kid wanted to see it).
    They don't give you the money back if you don't like it.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Oh come on, that would account for a strong opening weekend, possibly even week, but you don’t make over a billion dollars from a film in its opening week.
  • If the third film wasn't as big or bigger than the second... Surely that shows people were turned away from the franchise due to TLJ? If it was a massive success then the third film should've seen at least as many people going to see it
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • The bigger issue is that the toys from the recent triology arent selling. Me and you are irrelevant in the bigger Star Wars picture. We arent the target demographic. Its hooking the kids into Star Wars is where its failing.

https://boundingintocomics.com/2020/04/23/toy-executive-confirms-lack-of-demand-for-disneys-star-wars-sequel-trilogy-products/
  • Admiral Holdo action figures not exactly flying off the shelves.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    If the third film wasn't as big or bigger than the second... Surely that shows people were turned away from the franchise due to TLJ? If it was a massive success then the third film should've seen at least as many people going to see it

Sequels always see drop offs in numbers. I doubt there’s been a sequel in history that did as well as its predecessor.

Edit: actually, there probably have been, but those are definitely exceptions to the rule.
  • Terminator 2 + one million others
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Was mid-edit as you posted that.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    This idea that Disney would remake the trilogy sounds like wishful thinking in the extreme. Undermining their moderately successful multi million dollar movies, and spending millions more, just to appease a portion of the hardcore fans.

Better to spend the money on new spin offs with cute marketable Muppets.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    The bigger issue is that the toys from the recent triology arent selling. Me and you are irrelevant in the bigger Star Wars picture. We arent the target demographic. Its hooking the kids into Star Wars is where its failing.

https://boundingintocomics.com/2020/04/23/toy-executive-confirms-lack-of-demand-for-disneys-star-wars-sequel-trilogy-products/

According to the article, the toys weren’t selling from episode 7 on, do not sure what this has to do with TLJ?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Oh come on, that would account for a strong opening weekend, possibly even week, but you don’t make over a billion dollars from a film in its opening week.
    Let's flip your argument. Do you think it made so much money because a load of people waited for reviews and word of mouth then went "i don't really care for star wars but i've heard great things here i'm going to go watch it"?

TLJ had a huge dropoff in it's second week compared to TFA.

RoS is also agreed as shit by most, yet that still made about ~1 billion and over 300mill profit...so are you saying that's a great film?
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    The bigger issue is that the toys from the recent triology arent selling. Me and you are irrelevant in the bigger Star Wars picture. We arent the target demographic. Its hooking the kids into Star Wars is where its failing.
    According to the article, the toys weren’t selling from episode 7 on, do not sure what this has to do with TLJ?
    Also I bet most kids don't give a shit about Luke Skywalker.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Let's flip your argument. Do you think it made so much money because a load of people waited for reviews and word of mouth then went "i don't really care for star wars but i've heard great things here i'm going to go watch it"?

TLJ had a huge dropoff in it's second week compared to TFA.

RoS is also agreed as shit by most, yet that still made about ~1 billion and over 300mill profit...so are you saying that's a great film?

This isn’t about whether or not sales denote quality, but more about the idea that somehow this only got as popular as it did because of early hype. As you say yourself, the film reviewed well, clearly people liked it and it made a lot of money.

I’d have to assume some weirdos liked RoS too. I mean, I’ve met people who prefer the prequel trilogy to the original trilogy. There’s no accounting for taste.
  • The bigger issue is that the toys from the recent triology arent selling. Me and you are irrelevant in the bigger Star Wars picture. We arent the target demographic. Its hooking the kids into Star Wars is where its failing. https://boundingintocomics.com/2020/04/23/toy-executive-confirms-lack-of-demand-for-disneys-star-wars-sequel-trilogy-products/
    Also I bet most kids don't give a shit about Luke Skywalker.
    Not after TLJ they dont thats for sure.

Though I bet the Mandalorian has countered that somewhat. The kids: "Hey, who is that fucking awesome badass slicing through these Terminator droids like they were hot butter???"
    "Duh, its Luke Skywalker bruh, word"
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Let Abrams recut TLJ and stick it on Disney Plus. It’s the only way to settle this.
  • This idea that Disney would remake the trilogy sounds like wishful thinking in the extreme. Undermining their moderately successful multi million dollar movies, and spending millions more, just to appease a portion of the hardcore fans. Better to spend the money on new spin offs with cute marketable Muppets.
    I could see them remaking all nine of them at some point and making a pretty penny off it.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    RELEASE THE SNYDER CUT!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!