Philosophy Experiments
  • n0face wrote:
    Side-note: Where the fuck is the male pill? It's 2013.
    I read somewhere a while back they were developing an injection that would block your sperm tubes with some kind of gell effectively giving you a vasectomy then when you wanted rid you just popped a pill to dissolve it. Sounded like a great idea to me.

Woah, go Science.

Don't think existence of a male chemical contraceptive is an argument for women to stop taking those steps for themselves, if they can still do so safely. It takes two, behbey.
  • Just did "Should you kill the fat man.

Quite like this set of questions. Although the torture question annoys me. It's definitely one that, on paper, makes sense, but when applied to the real world, breaks down: a. because you can't say you have a 75% chance of extracting info, and b. because outside of movies. ticking bombs are rarely ticking in that manner.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

It's not that obvious. You're still in a position where your actions, or lack of action, effects the outcome. You're driving the train, your decision effects the outcome. I suspect you think there's a difference because you're on the bridge and you see yourself as a bystander. Let's suppose you're strapped to a switch, and if you press it the fat man falls.

ffs, I can't remember the name of the distinction I'm trying to make, the difference between actions and things that happen through non action. Fucking brain.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    Just did "Should you kill the fat man. Quite like this set of questions. Although the torture question annoys me. It's definitely one that, on paper, makes sense, but when applied to the real world, breaks down: a. because you can't say you have a 75% chance of extracting info, and b. because outside of movies. ticking bombs are rarely ticking in that manner.

That's brilliant. : )

The abortion one was bobbins though. Floaty leading questions. 
    Trying to coax an absolute out of people, on an issue that has no determinable outcome.

Like the fat man issue... 'what if' one of those people seeds goes on to become a fat terrorist? Or what if the footballer, in respect of the luck in meeting you, tells the kidnappers to fuck off, and give you a million pounds?...

What's more, what if it was a chick (Taylor Swift...), and not a footballer (lack of empathy in a test of empathy flail) attached to you (and you still get a squillion quid at the end of it, and her eternal gratitude)?...

Yeah.

But the fatman question is quality.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I tried this stupid quiz and it's fucking rubbish, I answered that abortions should be allowed and it told me I'd failed? Who the fuck decides that I am wrong and this quiz is right? I hate all this anti-abortion stuff (in fact I told my sister only 2 days ago that she should have one after finding out she is 5 weeks pregnant) and as far as I'm concerned any of these women preaching anti-abortion with their fucking placards and targeting the doctors should be battery farmed so that the couples that can't have kids now can...
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Did you try the fatman one though? Clever idea, that one...
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Just done the fat man quiz...

Do you agree with torture? Yes

It then goes on to put in a scenario where it explains several different things with the ultimate question being would I torture this man? I've already told you I agree with it so why would I not torture him?

I've got my own question to the author of these quizzes, are you a tit?
  • Spoiler:
  • Moto70 wrote:
    Just done the fat man quiz...

Do you agree with torture? Yes

It then goes on to put in a scenario where it explains several different things with the ultimate question being would I torture this man? I've already told you I agree with it so why would I not torture him?

I've got my own question to the author of these quizzes, are you a tit?

I think you're missing the point.

I haven't read the whole thing but its to guage moral consistancy.

some people might answer the first question in a particular way but when presented with a particular situation their answer might be different.

Example: is it always okay to do anything as long as it doesn't harm anyone?

Is it okay to eat your pet cat that just got hit by a car providing it was clean etc?

Is it okay to shag your mom if you know that no one would be harmed as a result?

That's basically what these quizzes are
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    A waste of time then...

I'd like to know where the B&B stands on torture, I'm guessing that there will be a few here that are heavily against it.
  • I said straight up that I had no problem with it, probably why my score was considered 'consistent'. 

I wouldn't advocate if for shoplifters or anything but for serious criminals or terrorists I don't have too many moral objections.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I had the exact same 83%, not that it matters a jot seeing as the 'scores' are based on whichever way the author marks them. We already know within our small group that there are vastly different views on pretty much every topic.
  • You're marked on the internal consistency of your answers, not whether the author thinks you're morally correct or not.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    So I am marked on whether the author thinks my 'internal consistency' is in line with what he thinks it should be? I presume this is derived from his own views. People can be objective but surely not that objective as to completely ignore their own views?

When people start making quizzes about seed-people I think they should probably just not bother and find something else to do. You seriously cannot say that people have contradicting 'internal consistency' if they agree to abortion but don't agree to being kidnapped from a nightclub and held in a room while medically connected to a footballer for 9 months...
  • Some_Guy wrote:
    You're marked on the internal consistency of your answers, not whether the author thinks you're morally correct or not.

Thank you. Was just about to come in and say the same thing. You'll all note that during the abortion one, they go out of their way to say you're not right or wrong (morally), it's about the consistency of your beliefs.

@moto, you were wondering why they were "doubling up" on the questions, it's to test consistency. AFAIK, it's pretty standard methodology in surveys and the like. Differently worded scenarios can get a clearer truer reflection of what people actually think.
  • What do you mean, in his own views? The ideas they're testing aren't that abstract. They go on to explain what they mean.
  • Abortion one is fairly solid outside typically flowery seed-people terms.

The consistency thing is there. I got an inconsistency because I defined a person by a set of criteria that could only exist post-birth, then said abortion in late pregnancy is wrong.

That's logically inconsistent. Maybe not morally or subjectively or whatever, but I am being inconsistent, which is a philosophical no-no.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    What do you mean, in his own views? The ideas they're testing aren't that abstract. They go on to explain what they mean.
    In the author's own view if I agree to abortion but don't agree to being kidnapped but then agree to having seed-people growing out of my carpet i have internal contradictions?

How about just asking the question?

Do you agree with abortion? Yes or No

Under any circumstance? Yes or No

Why do we need fictional kidnapping and make believe seed people scenarios to answer that?
  • Because those are binaries, and the matter of abortion is not binary, as proven by the examples.
  • Because the scenarios, when written well, remove a lot of the baggage from our thinking. There's plenty of topics that people have a stance on that they don't have good reasoning for, they have intuitions. It's not necessarily a good or bad thing, but it's worth exploring.

Man, I have to sleep, and I need to put thought in to a response. Hopefully SG is being a night owl, and will put his brain to work.
  • The latter question depends on how far you trust your imagination to go.

See my questions about no harm. I think most people would say yes but would baulk at agreeing to having sex with their mom even if it didn't harm any one (of course that extreme situation would not necessarily occur to everyone)
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Abortion one is fairly solid outside typically flowery seed-people terms. The consistency thing is there. I got an inconsistency because I defined a person by a set of criteria that could only exist post-birth, then said abortion in late pregnancy is wrong. That's logically inconsistent. Maybe not morally or subjectively or whatever, but I am being inconsistent, which is a philosophical no-no.

What if the dude taking the test was one of them diehard' football loving badgers, and the baller was the top star at his favourite club?

What if those people seeds all looked like Thandie Newton?

All the abstractions in that question set leaked like an unwanted child...
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Why would anybody want or need to have sex with their Mum?

I think that one thing can be deduced from this, if philosophy is all about seed-people, kidnappings and sex with one of your parents then it isn't really a topic for me. I think this sort of bullshit falls more towards the is it art side of things.
  • Oh moto stop being so reductive, it isn't becoming of you. 

They aren't real genuine things, they're analogies to get you to consider the abstracts around the debate of Abortion, and thus expose any contradictions. They're dumb, simplified terms to help people around the intricacies of the topic, if you can't see that then yes, you may as well give up on any notion of Philosophy, as it uses these ultra simplified terms to communicate complicated ideas, because proper high level philosophy talk is impenetrable if you haven't studied it, I should know as I'm studying it and read papers from Stanford is an absolute nightmare because they're so complicated, because oddly enough life is complicated.

The abortion one is quite straight forward, if you can just force yourself past the 'seed-people' analogy (which is OBVIOUSLY about pregnancy, that's the ENTIRE point) It's getting you to understand that, no, abortion is not a Yes/No question, because there are so many factors involved that it'd be absolute hysterical to boil it down to yes/no.

@Dyna Those are variables you can't expect to account for in a simple survey, unless you want to got he route of making a survey so complicated that it encompasses all the variables, in which case you've ruined the original purpose of a simple survey.

Edit: that might come across as a bit hostile at Moto, it isn't intending to. The author of the test casts no aspersions on your moral or ethical rights, at all, only uses simple analogy to highlight logical inconsistencies with what you say. Which is to say, you can't logically say a person needs to display all the traits of a moralistic, decision making, culpable being and then say that late-term abortion is wrong, because as far as we know they don't have that ability in late-term pregnancy (again, rather reductive, but it IS a inconsistency, whether you like it or not)
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    @Dyna Those are variables you can't expect to account for in a simple survey, unless you want to got he route of making a survey so complicated that it encompasses all the variables, in which case you've ruined the original purpose of a simple survey.

Then why does the fatman set work so well? That quandary may actually be more complex...
  • I don't know, I'm not an expert in logic, or philosophical use of language.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yeah, but... 

I find it hard to look at fat people on the train now... Like - "You gonna bomb my shit now, you fat fuck"? -~_~ - I hope this is temporary...
  • Problem with torture what-ifs is that you can accept the wrongness of an action and do it anyway if there's a compelling reason to. Why ought my personal ethic override the lives of a million odd folk, in the bomb instance? That's a million that could be better than the fatguy and me.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I'm not being anything I am simply saying I don't understand why you need to determine whether somebody is or isn't in agreement with something.

I agree with abortion but I don't agree with forced abortion, this doesn't mean I am contradicting myself. I agree that some people deserve punching, again this doesn't mean I agree that everybody should be punched. I simply don't understand how seed people is more ultra simplified than simply asking a normal question?

I don't think I've been arsey or flaming by simply saying I don't understand the need to invent numerous make belief, unrealistic, fantasy scenarios to determine whether I agree with abortion or not, I do. So I shouldn't be attacked or belittled for it. People get me to print things for them, I don't turn around and say they are stupid for not understanding how the printing process works or they shouldn't ask if they don't understand.

If Elmlea posted in this forum saying that he had felt the need to hit somebody I wouldn't mock him for his previous views but merely offer my sympathy that a situation arose that was so out of his comfort zone he had to act in a way that repulsed him. Is that me being philosophical or just a normal person that doesn't feel the need to go all Freud on everything?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!