#Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Let's be clear, I honestly don't know what the proper ending is.  I got to chapter eight, but by then I was just totally exhausted by it and did you know what to move things along.  But yes, two more times to get a different ending to me, although after I was done the game dumps you back (with a new item) to before those events so you can go for both endings in the same game.  I may do that...one day.

Have you tried any of the job bosses in these later chapters?  Later chapters start grouping them together. I had to fight four of them at once (chapter 8 maybe?) at one point.  That was fun.
    Get schwifty.
  • So I haven't even done 'the thing' once yet. How much more of my time does this waste? Is it better to just go for it as seen as I have skipped all of the story anyway?
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Definitely just go for it.  It stretches its final premise so thin you'll actually end up hating the game and yeah, the story's bobbins, so who really cares anyway.
    Get schwifty.
  • You guys are making me want to just sell the game.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I'm still oblivious to the dubious bit still to come. 48 hours in and only on Chapter 4. Not sure what the hell I've been doing tbh. I wait with bated breath.
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • I'm parked on chapter 7.  Started Persona 4 today, so I'm parked for a while.
  • Really enjoyed my time with this after zelda, glad i left it and came back. Now 55 hours in, and got to chapter 5 in this last night...

Wow. Just wow. I mean... Its like the end of ghosts and fucking goblins!

Still, am kinda enjoying it all enough to do all the subs again this chapter. Whats the difference between 'maining the endgame' and doing the subs as well each time? Does it affect the 'true' ending?
  • I'm about 90 minutes in. The presentation and aesthetic of this is lovely. Music, drawn world - it really feels like getting to play one of those mid-late 90s JRPGs I never got to play before FF7 changed everything.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • That's not a bad thing. FF6 was out before FF7 and I think it was the better game. In fact, I would possibly rate Mana and Chrono Trigger and (definitely) Terranigma above FF7.
  • Just realised you're not saying it's a bad thing. I'll just continue downing the caffeine now.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    That's not a bad thing. FF6 was out before FF7 and I think it was the better game. In fact, I would possibly rate Mana and Chrono Trigger and (definitely) Terranigma above FF7.

I'm one of the people whose first jrpg was FF7 back when it released. Got damn near everything in it too. I loved the story, managed to understand it all quite clearly despite the questionable translation, and the materia system was really easy to understand (FFIX crystals probably outdo it for mine).

I agree Chrono Trigger was the better game (than VII), which I only played in 2009 when it reached PAL for the first time on DS. Haven't yet played FFVI beyond the intro (wii VC version). I have Terranigma complete in a box for SNES.

So far Bravely Default feels like FFIX in terms of atmosphere. It looks like my memory of that SaGa game (Frontier?) on PS1 which I played briefly.

I absolutely love the zooming camera when you sit idle in an area. The town levelling business looks like it might be digital crack mark 2 (after Fire Emblem last year).
    hylian_elf wrote:
    That's not a bad thing. FF6 was out before FF7 and I think it was the better game. In fact, I would possibly rate Mana and Chrono Trigger and (definitely) Terranigma above FF7.

Also yeah, not a bad thing at all. It was more a comment that it feels like a game that came out before the CGI cinematic drivers became a big factor in jrpgs in the late 1990s. Quaint might be one way to put it, without being patronising.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Oh god, this game looks like a massive time sink.

I'm aware one of the FF games is renowned for 'Jobs' - I believe it is FFV (US FFII)?
    This game has that system doesn't it?

But how do I know when to change jobs? Is there a benefit to sticking with the default class for a while? So many possibilities it seems so daunting.

My game clock says I'm almost 5 hours in. I'm still on what I assume is the prologue chapter, as I have just rescued some dude <redacted> and gotten on a vehicle <redacted>.

Couple of introductory boss fights now. Two of which were mildly challenging. Went through 2/3rds of a dungeon down to 3 units thanks to not having any phoenix downs. Then got one from a chest and proceeded to win all the battles I was struggling with with ease.

Very, very impressed so far. Absolutely love the atmosphere.
  • US FF2 is FF4.
  • @Vela, max job limit is Lvl 15 I think, the benefits all come down to how you want to play.  Hitting Lvl 5-7 should be enough to start getting a few decent moves, offensive & supportive, & give you a feel for the class.

It's a stunning game in parts, glad you are enjoying it.

The quicker you start getting the village up & running, will aid massively to your quest.  So if you have not started grabbing your daily villagers, get on it.
  • Thanks for the tips. So far I have started off on the village as much as I can, but with only 8 villagers so far its slow progress. Ive got the first 3-4 buildings up to Lv3 for now, and chipping away at a boulder.

I guess this is like Dungeon Keeper without the nonsense.
  • Fucking wiped out hard on a sidequest dungeon early on. This game is punishing with money and items. Have to buy more to scrape through dungeons and that leaves little money for weapons or magic.

In response I'll turn the encounter rate up and hope it pays dividends, but I haven't felt this short on resources since ffix.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Getting freebies from the town shops should help with that in the long run.
    Get schwifty.
  • Was tempted by this until I read all your comments. Sounds like a lot of dedication is required.

I'm quite a novice with JRPG's:

FFVII - got 25hrs in and my mate deleted my save file
    Pokemon Blue - played and completed
    FFIV - got 20hrs in and the game didn't load up in my SNES so I turned it off but did it to quick. As soon as I did it I knew I was fucked and alas the save file was gone.
    Chrono Trigger - played and completed on the DS. Took me about 25hrs from what I remember. Loved it but doubt I would never have beat that last boss without an FAQ. Found that strange as I never struggled with any other part of the game.
    Pokemon X - currently playing, about 15hrs in.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • @Vela the encounter rate slide in the game is awesome & a fantastic feature.  Every time I hit a new town, banged it up to max & speed grinded for 30-60mins.

@Rets looking at your list, this might not be your cup of tea.

Need to finish this, the story took the wind out of my sails when I was crash playing this & I burned out.  Might go back over the weekend.
  • This game really feels like a traditional stereotype jrpg and I love that since I missed out on the heyday of them thanks to PAL versions not existing.

Hit a boss last night who kept healing itself, so it took a good fifty minutes to beat back the tide.

Currently have encounter rate at normal, everyone on freelancer lv5 and five bits of the town on level 3-4. Only have a dozen workers so far though.

This game is going to be my new fire emblem addiction substitute I feel.
  • 12 hours down. Encounter rate at 200%. Temple of wind.

SO. MUCH. JP.
  • Progress in this game is slow. 19 hours in, only just starting chapter 2.

Think I'm slightly over-levelled as I finished the sidequest boss of chapter 1 with a lv30 team, didnt even need to heal.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    200% encounter rate would do that.
    Get schwifty.
  • Yep. Well given my history with past FF games I find it is preferable to being under-levelled at a powerful boss like the FFVII demon wall or FFX blue-hair-fuckwit.
  • Turned off encounter rate entirely (after maxing level on all the jobs I liked and getting all the vampire genomes), completed chapter 5 fully, now onto 6! Then 7...8... That's it, right? It's like final fantasy mixed with animal crossing, instead of visiting my villagers to invite them over or serve coffee, I'm just fucking slashing them to pieces everyday in the same place with different dialogue.  Maybe that's how I'm enjoying this??
  • 30 hours in. Norende is now 80% rebuilt. Lv43 characters, 13 job types unlocked.

Still on chapter 2.

This game is so addictive, its like FE Awakening all over again.
  • Yeah, I've been horribly ill the last few days and been grinding and just beating all the subs on chapters 5-7. Really enjoying it, weirdly. 

Maxed nearly every job across all 4 characters, all level 99, all vampire genomes absorbed, and every side mission and boss done till now. Don't know about chapter 8, bit hesitant to now do 4 bosses at once. Might just do the crystals. Don't think it's worth it to just get 4 ninjas and transience them to death... Rather dull!

Also, fully leveled monk + natural ability seems broken...
  • What's your play time? Any advice on getting more job points?
  • About 75 hours-ish? Job points I wouldn't start grinding till chapter 4 earliest, but chapter 5 is where its at though. Good to find a place where large groups of enemies form (like forests etc), get a Valkyrie + crescent moon x2, and attack x4 on everyone else. Then just auto, and set speed and encounter rate up full.

Took me 2 hours to get from level 70 to 99 in one area in chapter 5, though, and could get a job fully levelled in minutes, so I'd just wait till later on to do the real grinding. I breezed through the early chapters with a thief and angel bow from Norende. The equipment from Norende restoration is very OP early on. I also never bothered with black mage, dunno why but found them not very useful.
  • Cheers for that.

Based on what I know I think I'm leaning towards the following setup:

Red mage/Knight
    Black Mage/Summoner
    Spell Fencer/Time Mage
    White Mage/Valkyrie

That's as at the start of chapter 3. Having spell fencer being able to farm MP and then use red mage skills seems like a convenient combo.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!