Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I see metal gear ray whenever I see that pic
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Someone's work in progress is capturing defunct euro border stations

http://ignacioevangelista.com/index.php?/seleccion-natural/work-in-progres-after-schengen/

This is particular:

17_poratlet-pa-indexh.jpg
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Castellated beams ftw.

OMG check this one out! This is my fave so far:

17_kosceg-indexh-ma.jpg

Check out them conrcete column/beam combo dealies holding up the first floor that probably have a proper fancy name that I can't remember right now.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I bet that looks all kinds of amazing when you've got shots from each side. Reminiscent of zombie apocalypse house when you square off all the overhangs.

i.e. http://all-that-is-interesting.com/post/4956385434/the-first-zombie-proof-house
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I would happily live in either.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    The idea of border stations reminds me of the odd times as a child, a passenger in a car, and running into a farmer charging 5pence to drive over his bridge/through his gate.

You don't see that no more. It's not even as if they've automated the ordeal. They've just gone.
  • Zombie house is admirable but if it isnt packing its own mahoosive back up generator you are going to either be completely exposed or entombed when the power goes off.

All you really need is a concrete box on concrete legs accessed by rope ladder, cos zombies cant climb those for shit. Glass roof on top to keep things light inside.

Before anyone gets clever with the amount of time a person needs to climb a rope ladder, those industrial closers moving huge slabs in front of the windows on zombie haus arent exactly quick off the mark either.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    There was a video of it which looked sped up, I get why now.
  • Sorry for being a bore and ruining those guys' nice publicity thing though.

Someoneiswrongontheinternets.gif etc.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    It's the internet, you're only as boring as the next poster.
  • Oh fuck.
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    This pic really gives me feels. Nicolas-Moulin-4.jpg

Looks like a colossus's sword after hes been defeated.
    Real s.o.t.c. vibes.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That zombie house is wonderful.

Ever been to Eindhoven? This building used to be an interactive science & engineering museum that was built by Philips. I know about it because there used to be a short programme that was repeated on BBC as a colour test transmission.

It's a conference venue now - boo. But I got to go inside it a couple of years ago on a conference - yay. Ate my dinner under the marvellous roof.

22893_fullimage_Evoluon_Eindhoven_560x350.jpg

Inside...back before it became a conference venue. Youtube has the transmission test programme - search for Evoluon
    EVOLUON3%201990%20K.jpg
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    So much dig to dig for that place. Some mates opened a bar and I really love the underside of the awning.

10434351_1437219469883721_6030546188855518958_n.jpg?oh=47aa3307289c98f5c91a1c05738cbe1d&oe=5550C8BB

It's on this...

10683462_1482293328709668_1878487039592361301_o.jpg
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Gonna put this here, I'm in two minds about it...really it should probably go in the climate thread, probably.

http://inhabitat.com/australias-first-carbon-positive-prefab-house-produces-more-energy-than-it-consumes/
  • I'm all for sustainability but I cant help be annoyed at these articles from a professional point of view for a number of reasons.

1. How long does it take for the structure to 'pay back' the carbon footprint caused during it's construction?
    2. 800 square feet is tiny, that's ~80m2 which is 8m x 10m. Does the structure continue to be 'carbon positive' at larger sizes? My guess is probably not due to the ratio of increased volume internally to the proportionally smaller increase in roof area for solar panels, especially if you were to add a second story.
    3. How much does it cost? If it was super cheap or cost neutral with traditional structures then they would probably be making a big deal about it.
    4. I hate architectural publicity bullshit.

Sorry, I'll go now, I don't want to spoil the thread! I just see a lot of architectural BS on a daily basis and it gets right up my chuff.
  • It's a decent enough proof of concept. Prefabs can't be much bigger than that. We'll have to wait for better solar panels, and solar windows, to take up the slack.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I would have thought the "payback" would be irrelevant wouldn't it? Any structure is going to generate a carbon footprint during construction so why it's important to identify what that was for a structure that subsequently produces a negative carbon footprint I don't know.
  • If it would need to be running for 1000 years to pay back its carbon debt, you might as well stick to other buildings.
  • Nah, you can already get full on house sized pre fabs for the domestic markets, and they can (and do) prefabricate quite a lot of stuff on larger projects these days for the cost benefit.

I worked on a project a couple of years ago in London that was a 130 apartment block that was largely pre fabricated off site. Moderna Hus it was called, Skanska were trialling the method they use in Scandinavia, except the project was bollocksed by typical fat, lazy, senior contractor/consultant dickheads that we suffer greatly from in the industry. No desire to learn anything new, or integrate new ideas, they just want to turn up, do everything the same way they learned back at uni in the 70's, they care more about their professional institutes next pissup dinner Tha about the quality of their work, or how they are perceived.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    IanHamlett wrote:
    If it would need to be running for 1000 years to pay back its carbon debt, you might as well stick to other buildings.

I can't see why the construction process for this would be any more carbon intensive than traditional methods.

• @goobs Nor can I but it might.

@Roujin That's fabbing on-site from a load of pre-fabbed bits. Cheating.
  • Carbon footprint of creation of a solar panel vs a slate roof tile?

• IanHamlett wrote:
    @Roujin That's fabbing on-site from a load of pre-fabbed bits. Cheating.
    Take it or leave it brah, its best we can do unless the ability to airlift entire floors from factory to site is developed!
  • I'm guessing you mean the mining, splitting, and shipping of slate and not the compression of volcanic ash for a billion years.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I think it's about 5 years for a PV panel to be neutral in the UK, so probably a lot less in Oz.
  • Yes but there's a distinction between a self contained liveable unit and a bunch of bits that arrive at a site to make a sky-rise.
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    I'm guessing you mean the mining, splitting, and shipping of slate and not the compression of volcanic ash for a billion years.

How much carbon is released into atmosphere as a result of the underground compression of ash into rock?

• IanHamlett wrote:
    Yes but there's a distinction between a self contained liveable unit and a bunch of bits that arrive at a site to make a sky-rise.

Its not self contained, it has to be connected to water, drainage, telecomms and power utilities. So there will always be work to be done on site. Just a lot less than the traditional pre fab processes we use now where assembly is done on site.

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    We had some accommodation blocks built at work recently. The rooms came as self contained units and were basically stacked on top of each other, plugged and plumbed in and then bricked around. It was very quick.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!