theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    It's basically insurance, which you can buy from anyone.

these do it for £14.99 pm on the above 15" MacBook Pro

http://uk.protectyourbubble.com/gadget-insurance/get-quote.html

Which whilst more than what Apple charge, does cover you for "equally retarded" events. And theft. Others might be cheaper.
  • Seems ok but the value of my macbook bumps it up to £20 a month.
    I will check and see if i can add it to my contents insurance as a named item.
  • I won an iPad 3 today from a competition I entered ages ago. Excellent start to the week.
    Twitter: Andy_Wharton | PSN: thehumantarget86 | Xbox Live: humantarget86 | Steam: thehumantarget
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Never heard of them but these guys are cheap

http://www.worldwideinsure.com/computer-insurance-associate.htm

£1999 value comes out at £120 a year.
  • @ humantarget Good work man

Cheers mod will check them out
  • Think that might come under "somewthing as equally retarded" ;)

Quite probably, I'm sure they thought I did it deliberately in the shop. Anyway, the accidental damage omission is a pretty big one - I've dropped my Air three times off the chair arm rest; fortunately not breaking it, but it seems to be that mishaps like that are the most likely problem with a laptop.
  • I'm sure I posted this on a former forum but when I was waiting to be geniused at an Apple store, the guy in front of me was complaining that his laptop had died. It had a crack right down the centre of the screen running from top to bottom. He had it replaced on the spot. 
    Obviously I don't know how old it was or what cover he had.
  • I really do think it depends on who you see in store, that is mental though, dont really understand how people manage stuff like that.

2 years ive had my iphone, not a scratch, saw my friend on the weekend and she has broken her second screen in 6 months
  • Hi, my wife has this big screen which is apparently a computer. It has a wireless keyboard. The keyboard light started blinking when I tuned it on. Now it won't come on. Have the batteries gone? If so how do I change them?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I'd stick new ones in the battery compartment if I were you.
  • monkey wrote:
    I'm sure I posted this on a former forum but when I was waiting to be geniused at an Apple store, the guy in front of me was complaining that his laptop had died. It had a crack right down the centre of the screen running from top to bottom. He had it replaced on the spot.  Obviously I don't know how old it was or what cover he had.
    Did the guy look like Gordon Freeman?  Might have been my boss, he did that exact thing a little while back.  God knows how he got away with it.
  • My new macbook air came in this morning. Just in time too, as i started a new job today and they havnt really got a computer for me set up, so im borrowing some guys old pc laptop, and im sitting on different desks all week.

Decided on the 11", 1.7 i5, 8gb Ram, with 256gb flash storage. I absolutely love it! Its so speedy, and light, and cute...i did some final cut pro on it earlier as a test, and i cant believe how much faster it is than even my imac.

@liveinadive now THAT's a machine! Applecare is definately worth investing in. Bear in mind theres an educational discount if you have a uni friends or family (only 30% mind you).
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    Now it won't come on. Have the batteries gone? If so how do I change them?

Use a coin to twist the slot on one end of the keyboard. The batteries'll be in there.

Mildly jealous of cosmic's MBA. I'd rather have one of those than the new MBPR.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • No idea if this has been posted here or not, but came across this on the BBC :
    Sources say Apple is planning to release a smaller iPad later this year
    Did they not do that 5 years ago?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I used to refer to my iPhone as my iPad Nano.

In other news, it looks like the Windows 7 partition on my MBP is properly hosed. If I want to reinstall it (I only use it for Steam, so I'll just have to redownload some games), would I have to go through the Boot Camp root, or can I boot from the Windows 7 disc and just point the installer at the correct partition? I'm assuming the latter.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Is there any free software that'll go through your Mac and tell you what's wrong with it?  I'm getting really fed up with how badly mine work.  Pretty close to using Windows as my primary OS, if I'm honest, the amount of problems I have with OS X these days is frankly ridiculous.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I was going to say Soluto but that's PC only and alternativeto.net suggests

http://alternativeto.net/software/ccleaner/?platform=mac

http://alternativeto.net/software/cleanmymac/?platform=mac

perhaps.
  • My Macbook shipped today. :D

Patience.............
  • My Macbook shipped today. :D Patience.............

Mine was delivered just now.  The retina is a beautiful thing!
  • I wish I could have justified it but I need storage, I'm terrible for wanting everything in one place.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    AJ_ wrote:
    Is there any free software that'll go through your Mac and tell you what's wrong with it?  I'm getting really fed up with how badly mine work.  Pretty close to using Windows as my primary OS, if I'm honest, the amount of problems I have with OS X these days is frankly ridiculous.

I had to do that for a while, OS X was beach balling so much it was unusable. So glad I've got it working again.

I wish you the best of luck in finding out what's wrong.
  • OMG!  The retina display is a sight to behold!  Most of my apps are retina ready but a few are a little fuzzy around the edges but this will sort itself out over the coming weeks.  Gaming is a joy either on the mac or as a bootcamp windows 7.
  • Mountain Lion is out today.

Anyone going to get it?
    I should get a free upgrade I think, as should Jimmy.
  • I'll wait until the weekend based on the problems I had with Lion on the first day.

I had this free upgrade thing last year and iirc, it involves getting and redeeming a code. You have to request it from Apple and then they take their sweet time about sending it through. But I think the way of requesting it is through the App Store which gets buggered to fucktown with all the people caning the 4 GB  or so downloads.    

Can't remember the process exactly but I do remember a lot of hanging and pissing round.
  • Anyone with half a degree of patience should probably always wait until the first patch has been released anyway. That's not how I roll though.
  • So best thing is to wait a few days/ a week?

Edit: answered as I was typing
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Any system you have the choice of waiting at least a few days before updating the OS (i.e. not Xbox) I always wait now.

Got burnt on the original iPhone update and that was that.
  • tbh, if I wasn't going out tonight and tomorrow I might try and get it sooner. It's probably worth requesting the code tonight as that might take a day or two to come through. 

The problem last time was that it was released simultaneously around the world but that happened to be 6pm UK time. So everyone tried to get it at once. Don't know how they're doing it this time. 

They won't patch whatever early problems it has for 5-6 weeks, probably. I have no idea why I'm not prepared to wait that long for some tweaks and fancy features I won't use, I just know I won't.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Mountain Lion is out today.

Are you sure, I can't see it in the App Store?

Still, I'll wait until it hits 10.8.1 before plumping up the cash. The number of reviews I saw for Lion that were "This thing fucked my MacBook" meant I never upgraded. Snow Leopard fo' life, yo.
  • I was going off the BBC report, doesn't seem to be much fanfare on the apple site though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18978166

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!