Top 3 Launch Games Of All Time
  • Any list without SM64 is just wrong.

I'll add Wii Sports and SMW.

Ridge Racer gets an honourable mention. And PowerStone.
  • Hang on. Was Soul Calibur a launch game? Blew me away, that one. I also enjoyed Ready to Rumble but not sure it it deserves a place on this sort of list.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I can't stand Wii Sports. Once you realise that you can play the game without actually moving the controller in a way that resembles the on screen action, without even looking at the tv, it becomes a bit of a joke. They may as well have done away with the motion controls and just had one big button to press instead. Accessibility taken to the extreme.

Incredibly popular, but utterly pointless.
  • Yeah but you're playing it wrong. That's not their fault.

Starcraft was rubbish once I realised I could just pay a Korean to do it for me.

I stopped playing snooker once I realised it was easier to put the balls into the pockets with my hands.
  • WorKid wrote:
    Hang on. Was Soul Calibur a launch game? Blew me away, that one. I also enjoyed Ready to Rumble but not sure it it deserves a place on this sort of list.

Soul Calibur wasn't a Dreamcast launch title.

Still an amazing game.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • The original Ridge Racer is one I'll chuck in - I remember me and my brother scrimped / traded stuff for a PS1 but couldn't afford any games - we rented Ridge Racer and we and a load of his mates just spent an evening getting best lap times.
  • Spot on workid... if you don't play Wii sports in the spirit intended then there's literally no point playing it. Despite the millions of hours spent playing and enjoying games as a kid, and that interest and enjoyment waning as i got older, Wii sports provided some of the absolute peaks of my gaming enjoyment.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I can't stand Wii Sports. Once you realise that you can play the game without actually moving the controller in a way that resembles the on screen action, without even looking at the tv, it becomes a bit of a joke. They may as well have done away with the motion controls and just had one big button to press instead. Accessibility taken to the extreme.

Incredibly popular, but utterly pointless.

You can play dance revolution with a dpad too. Doesn't make the game any less fun.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • WorKid wrote:
    Hang on. Was Soul Calibur a launch game? Blew me away, that one. I also enjoyed Ready to Rumble but not sure it it deserves a place on this sort of list.

Soul Calibur wasn't a Dreamcast launch title.

Still an amazing game.

Yes it was!
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Well, in the US it was, but the Dreamcast had already been available for almost a year.
  • So no one will nominate pen pen tri icelon instead?
  • I'd hope not, it doesn't even work with the VGA cable.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    You can play dance revolution with a dpad too. Doesn't make the game any less fun.

But it really does.

• Bollockoff wrote:
    Vela wrote:

But it really does.

By that I mean that you can, but shouldn't play it like that. Just because you can conceivably play it wrong does not make the game itself bad.

Similarly, Wii sports isn't bad because you can be a grumpy bum and flick your wrists instead of playing it properly.
  • The 8-ball pool on Wii Party was better than the whole of Wii Sports.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'd hope not, it doesn't even work with the VGA cable.

I quite liked PenPen....though there were some REALLY annoying bits when you started to bounce off other characters and had to endure the dizzy animation repeatedly....with a bit more work it could be been a corker.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The 8-ball pool on Wii Party was better than the whole of Wii Sports.

You mean Wii Play? Wii Party was released much later on (and is actuallly quite good when 3 or more are gathered).

• Wii Play, yes. My bad.
  • Wii Play Tanks was amazing fyi
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Wii Play Motion is very nice too - shows the M+ controllers off quite well.

• Vela wrote:
    Wii Play Tanks was amazing fyi

Definitely, if that was a DL game it would have been one of my favourites of the generation.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Vela wrote:

But it really does.

By that I mean that you can, but shouldn't play it like that. Just because you can conceivably play it wrong does not make the game itself bad.

Similarly, Wii sports isn't bad because you can be a grumpy bum and flick your wrists instead of playing it properly.

But with Wii Sports, you can't play it any other way as there isn't an option to. Every input you make is recognised by the game in the same way, no matter how much effort you put into it, the results are the same. There isn't any depth to it at all, and it just highlights the fact that the Wiimote didn't have the accuracy to do justice to the sports it was trying to replicate.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I hear what Vela is sayingqi just have actual experience of how dull most rhythm action games are without unique input.
  • The best way to put it was Edge (or Games TM or Eurogamer's?) review of Guitar Hero where they said that it is a game that demands to be played standing up.

Yes you can play it sitting down.
    Yes you can play DDR with a controller.
    Yes you can play Wii Sports with a flick of the wrist.
    Yes you can play Street Fighter on a 360 controller.

But unless you are standing up rocking with your cock out, or dancing like a muppet, or nearly knocking people out with a wii remote, or executing QCFs with a proper arcade stick - you're doing it wrong!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That's like saying if you're playing a driving game you should turn the pad like its a steering wheel while making car noises otherwise it's not fun.

Horseshit. If the game is fun, it's fun. Wii Sports isn't fun for me as it's far too simple, no ammount of jumping about the room changes that.

Also, lumping Street Fighter in with wavy wavy bollocks, shame on you Vela.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Wii Sports Resort is what Wii Sports should have been. It's a splendid game that makes the original totally redundant even without a tennis game (though the table tennis as a substitute is delightful and it could have a full game built around it).

• Wii Sports Resort Table Tennis is awesome.

Carry on.
  • Vela wrote:
    Yes you can play Street Fighter on a 360 controller. But unless you are... executing QCFs with a proper arcade stick - you're doing it wrong!

Some of the best players around use a pad. Not necessarily a 360 pad, although some do, but not a stick either. It's a competitive game and the spirit is in the fightmanship, camaraderie, etc.; not the tools and how you use them.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Seems like if one were to collate the responses on this here thread, SM64, SMW and Halo would probably be the most popular.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!