• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Tetris was on PC before anything (apart from some Russian computer on which it was originally developed), but Tetris was a launch game - no doubt about that.
    I'm not allowing it.

krs can disallow it in his world, I will allow in mine. So nyah.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    This is krs's world, we all just live in it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Haven't read the thread but

Mario 64
    Wipeout
    Halo

I think they might be mine. If not I'm going to go back through the thread and change them because those are some quality launch titles.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    This is krs's world, we all just live in it.

Who is this deity?
  • I'm not allowing Super Mario World or Super Mario 64 either. They're just sequels. Anyone can make a sequel.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Doesn't leave a lot does it? Halo is only one in a sequence of FPS games. So that doesn't count either. Or do deities make up their own logic?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I pass a vote of no confidence in our overlord krs.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Sorry, guys, you just have to suck it up. I don't make the rules. Krs does.
  • SM64 isn't a sequel. Discuss.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    krs wrote:
    I'm not allowing Super Mario World or Super Mario 64 either. They're just sequels. Anyone can make a sequel.

END OF DISCUSSION.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    It was, just Shigsy is crap at numbers, he counted all the thrown away ideas not just the released ones, silly bugger
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • What launched with the PS4 and One?
  • WorKid wrote:
    SM64 isn't a sequel. Discuss.
    It isn't, no. And certainly doesn't play like one, since it didn't translate Mario from 2D to 3D at all.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Of course it's a bloody sequel.
    OED wrote:
    sequel 'si:kw(ə)l
    ► noun
    a published, broadcast, or recorded work that continues the story or develops the theme of an earlier one.

Next you'll be arguing that each season of American Horror Story is a brand new show.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yoss is the high priest.
  • davyK wrote:
    Tetris Mario 64 Super Monkey Ball

These.  Also agree with the quote on the previous page about faultless fidelity.  Super Mario World gets a look-in on account of its excellence, but doesn't instantly spring to mind for me because it's no better than the previous entry the generation before.  Halo C.E would be next on my list, after the three above; it was a giant stride forward for console first person shooters - excluding the mp in its sequel I haven't enjoyed one on any machine half as much since.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Batman on the Amiga.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • TheDJR wrote:
    What launched with the PS4 and One?

They're not out yet.  Nintendo decided first was everything and launched the Wii U in May, remember?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Yoss is the high priest.

Nah, he's the Thomas Cromwell of the piece.

Joe Schmoe wrote:
    Tetris
    Super Mario 64
    Halo
    Tetris
    Super Mario World
    Super Monkey Ball
    DOOM (32X)
    Virtua Fighter
    WipEout
    DOOM (32X)
    Virtua Fighter
    Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection
  • Geometry Wars on 360 was a great launch title too.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • A demo version being in PGR3, also a fucking great launch game, was class.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    What about the poor relation or forgotten launch games?

Pen Pen Triicelon on DC was a cute little animal racer that wasn't earth shattering but is quite amusing if you don't take it seriously.

N64 had a Shogi game at launch in Japan. The cart even had a modem built in for online versus action.

PS2 Fantavision was mentioned earlier - no doubt a victim of the emotion engine hype that was around at the time.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Of course it's a bloody sequel.
    OED wrote:
    sequel 'si:kw(ə)l
    ► noun
    a published, broadcast, or recorded work that continues the story or develops the theme of an earlier one.

Next you'll be arguing that each season of American Horror Story is a brand new show.

It depends on how you look at it, though. Nintendo tends to focus on gameplay ideas and mechanics, first, before attaching an IP that fits them best. I don't really see much similarity between what came before 64 and 64 itself, outside of aesthetics.

Though I was really trying to make a distinction that 64 was a revolutionary step, so it's more not a "direct sequel" than sequel in itself.
  • It's weird how on the mobile site you can clearly see the thread starter. Who is "deleted user"? :')

Anyway, I can't remember a game blowing me away as much as SM64 did. It was like, the zenith. Like a divine gaming experience. It felt otherworldly. I remember my brother and I being just so dumbfounded, especially trying to get to grips with the N64 control pad!
  • That's true some of the time but I can't imagine Mario64 being started as anything other than a Mario game. I can even imagine a there being a hard drive somewhere in Nintendo with a few failed attempts at 3D Mario. They knew 3D was coming for a long time and Mario games had already shifted something like 50m units. It's worth getting right.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • @ZMM: judging by the post, Deleted User for OP may have been PlanM. Doesn't look like Davie's posting or writing style, and Lawro surely wouldn't have started this thread. Right?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    That's true some of the time but I can't imagine Mario64 being started as anything other than a Mario game. I can even imagine a there being a hard drive somewhere in Nintendo with a few failed attempts at 3D Mario. They knew 3D was coming for a long time and Mario games had already shifted something like 50m units. It's worth getting right.

I agree with some of this: you reminded me that the original vision for Mario 64 was more like the Bowser Stages, so more like a straight platformer with linear paths rather than the open ended design we ended up getting (which when went on to transform GoldenEye 007 to what it became).

On a related note, this interview with Giles Goddard on the making of Super Mario 64 by Mark Green (N64/NGC/NGamer/Arcade magazine) is a really interesting read.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!