Top 3 Launch Games Of All Time
  • were there actually launch games with the amiga and st? 

I remember the batman pack?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    EB? Noobs. When I first started buying games it was my local video shop. EB was years later.

Ahem. I bought my Atari 2600 from Boots.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I was all about the mail ordering, from the dodgy ads in the back of C&VG et al.

Trying to remember the names of them. Was great "fun" sending them a cheque and waiting, hoping, praying that your order would eventually arrive. With a dodgy RGB scart cable glued on.

Got all my import megadrive, super famicom and thence PSX/N64 games that way, apart from a few I'd pick up from Goodge St CEX. Some more dodgy purchases would've been my pre-modded (with a...front-light? I think?) orange spice GBA, which actually worked perfectly and was just so awesome, I remember lording it over those with lesser blacks or whites, squinting at their shitty screens.

Then came proper online: my jap DC was eBay, and from then on we didn't need to worry about shitty PAL conversions so that ended my importing days.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I bought an Oric-1 from EDCO which was Belfast's primary source of school books etc.

Remember getting NES, SNES and N64 games from Woolworth's. In fact I got my SNES from Woolworths. The NES was bought in Argos, the N64 from an independant trader.

When we had a Virgin Megastore in Belfast it had a healthy games floor - that was the NES - N64 days for me.

• Oh wait best launch games.

I bought my Megadrive with Golden Axe, was that launch? It wasn't a brilliant game but it was just such a huge step-up from NES / MS experiences. I see it wasn't launch in Japan - the Megadrive launched with just Space Harrier 2 and Super Thunder Blade! Blimey.

Wow. Was just getting confused about those saying SF2 was launch-ish with SNES, remembering that I'd had my SF for a long time before SF2 came out. Turns out the SNES launched an astonishing 18 months later than the SF, in the UK! And the SNES was so shit, with its letter-boxed games and everything running in treacly PAL-o-vision.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

The Amstrad 464 came with a pile of cassettes as part of the deal. Most of them were pretty ropey but there was odd half-decent one in there. Oh Mummy springs to mind.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The UK SNES launch lineup was pretty spectacular. SMW, F-Zero and Pilotwings - all PAL optimised may I add.

When I got a modded SNES I had to get the NTSC versions of these because the optmisation causes them to glitch at 60Hz. The PAL versions of them have borders but they were speed adjusted to allow for the slower frame rate.

Think the rather ropey Super R-Type was skulking around then too - only to be outdone by the cynical cash-in that was Pitfighter.

EDIT: a check of the wiki states that F-Zero wasn't a UK launch title - Super Tennis instead. Still a pretty sold line up. We played a lot of Super Tennis - had two SNES-es on the go in a mate's house with tournaments.
  • Says in Wiki that launch in EU was SMW, F-Zero and Super Tennis? But splitting hairs, I guess.

I remember how excited some of my friends were about getting the SNES. I thought there was something wrong with their systems: everything looked like we were viewing it through a dirty lens, smudgy and less colourful and much less sharp; and then I kept messing up my jump timing because it was so S-L-O-W.

Pal-optimised may have meant it was slightly better than it could have been, but SMK, SF2 (as particular stand-outs) were tragically shit compared to 60hz versions.
  • Ha I remember recommending they "upgraded" to Scart, not realising at the time that the scart connector was capable of carrying both full RGB and crappy composite signals. They weren't happy with me.
  • WH Smith sold games too, although they were pretty expensive. And Virgin of course. The games aisle of Curry's was always packed with kids playing new games for free.

We had a decent indie shop that sold a good range, and that was where I usually got my first sight of new consoles and exciting Japanese curiosities. They had Panzer Dragoon running on an import Saturn in the window one year, and I recall getting soaked stood in the rain watching the intro sequence, young mind blown. The staff were horrible, snobby arsehole's who generally criticised your purchase and would harass you if you spent more than five minutes on the display machines.

Often it was actually cheaper to buy the Jap version of a cart (which had been out for ages) than it was to go to high street stores and pick up the new PAL version.

[/pointless nostalgia]
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    Pal-optimised may have meant it was slightly better than it could have been, but SMK, SF2 (as particular stand-outs) were tragically shit compared to 60hz versions.

True. I keep the PAL versions as collectables but play the NTSC versions of F-Zero, Pilotwings, SMK and Mario All Stars...though PAL SF2 Turbo seems to play fine at 60Hz - though I'm not good enough to notice to be honest. That suggests it received no optimisation at all - which is an fecking disgrace.

Megadrive owners got it worse - Sonic PAL is horrific - no effort at all from Sega.

• cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Anyone mentioned Fantavision yet, it was edgy
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Oh wow yes with my Megadrive I was too young to know about RGB vs composite outputs, and for the first couple of years with my imported machine I used a "standard" scart cable. Can't remember what prompted it, but one day I just bought a full RGB capable scart cable, and it was night and day, just amazing the difference on Sonic.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

I got a modded MD with region and 50/60 switches and RGB SCART. It felt like a new console - I just went through all my carts boggle eyed. Micro Machines in PAL is fine as it's Brit-code but everything else was shambolic in PAL.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yes to Fantavision.

Parodius was a PS1 launch game in Japan.......sticks in memory more than "generic sports game in 3D" shit that we got such as NHL Faceoff. Ridge Racer was impactful - though unlike Wipeout it probably got the usual PAL hatchet job.

• IanHamlett wrote:
    FLUDD threw up some new gameplay options but the bits without it reveal Mario to be virtually perfect. I'd like Mario to go on holiday again. 3D Land World Catsuit Edition didn't do it for me like the other 3D Marios.

Me too. I'm still ashamed that I used to have some sort of vendetta a few years after launch against Super Mario Sunshine because of its flaws and how it "wasn't a proper Mario game". Because it's precisely those flaws that make it so interesting, and the shift in setting too.

Will we ever see a Mario platformer set in a "real-life" environment again?
  • Super Mario World Super Mario 64 Halo CE Those three really don't have any competition. I'm amazed the thread has got to page five. If we're including handheld then obvs Tetris.

This.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Anyone remember John Menzies? I bought games from them back in the days.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Super Monkey Ball and Tetris are as close to perfect games as anything can be. They can be played today as they were launched with faultless fidelity.

M64 was magnificent and still is but has been upstaged by Galaxy. SMW might be the other candidate.

The impact of Combat back in the day is a gaming moment I will never forget; it even surpassed arcade games like Space Invaders because it was 2 player versus. Graphics have taken the shine off it today for a modern audience even if the basic gameplay is intact.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Haven't read the thread but

Mario 64
    Wipeout
    Halo
  • Couldn't agree more on Monkey Ball and Tetris. I still dig out the old 'Cube to play Monkey Ball. Sega AM4 perfected that on their first attempt.

On a related note on launch games Wii's Banana Blitz, while obviously not as good as the first, captured what made the first so great in its level designs (while moving away from the crazy designs from the second). Great, well calibrated controls too.

Speaking about Super Monkey Ball reminded me of Star Wars: Rogue Leader for some reason, what did/does everyone make of that?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Star Wars : Rogue Leader at launch was a technical marvel. I didn't play it much but it showed what the cube could do.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Was the NES launched with Duck Hunt?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Re: Tetris, hadn't it been available on other formats before launching with the GB? If so, does it count?
  • I'm not allowing it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Krs has spoken. Tetris is out.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tetris was on PC before anything (apart from some Russian computer on which it was originally developed), but Tetris was a launch game - no doubt about that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Was the NES launched with Duck Hunt?

There was a pack with SMB1 and Duck Hunt on one cart but don't know if that was launch.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Tetris was on PC before anything (apart from some Russian computer on which it was originally developed), but Tetris was a launch game - no doubt about that.
    krs wrote:
    I'm not allowing it.

• Remember when you could only get Nintendo games in approved Nintendo retailers? That was fucking weird. Shops with all other computer and console shit but no Nintendo stuff at all.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!