Current Affairs
  • When it comes to these kind of claims of misconduct or inappropriate action against a police officer I'm always reluctant to give an opinion as I'm well aware that the circumstances are rarely ever as reported. There's always intel and a thorough decision making process behind these actions. There are always circumstances that we as the public may never know as the reports are always accompanied by bias and rage.

This however?! Nope. Big fucking nope.
    The MET have some SERIOUS problems
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Yeah but guys Khan didn't follow proper procedure in firing Cressida Dick when she resigned and he didn't have the power to fire her.

The Met is a fucking mess. If it was anything else but a police force it would be dissolved and restarted.
  • For examples I've been aware of accusations thrown against officers I know of racial bias and abuse of force against "an innocent little teen".

The parents ran to the papers and social media with poorly shot footage claiming that their innocent little boy was attacked purely because he was black.

What was never shown to the public was the footage of little "boy" selling class A drugs just half hour before, seen carrying a knife on CCTV and using violence against other drug users.

There was a huge shopping list of evidence that this innocent teen was actually a very violent individual indeed and posed a serious risk.

So there is always info that the public will never know about.

However please do not think I'm making excuses here, this incident is vile, wrong in every way and a total abuse of power.
    And it's getting harder and harder to stay neutral with the overwhelming evidence against the MET.

I'm ashamed to have been in the role

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Surely that girl was the victim of assault? Plain and simple.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Serious
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I just watched O’Brien’s monologue about this and he is bang on the money about every aspect of it. About how blatantly racist it was. 

If this was a white girl this would be front page news on every newspaper.
  • davyK wrote:

The police, with few exceptions, are actively evil. The MET have needed an overhaul since I was a kid - every few years they’re beating up a black kid and covering it up, or beating up a black woman and covering it up, or making racist jokes and covering it up, or assassinating people and pretending they’re terrorists, or raping women and trying to ignore that they’re officers, or kettling protestors, or going undercover and getting women pregnant or, or, or, or.

The Police are beyond saving. They’ll apologise time and time again, but it’s time to give up on them.
  • davyK wrote:

The police, with few exceptions, are actively evil. The MET have needed an overhaul since I was a kid - every few years they’re beating up a black kid and covering it up, or beating up a black woman and covering it up, or making racist jokes and covering it up, or assassinating people and pretending they’re terrorists, or raping women and trying to ignore that they’re officers, or kettling protestors, or going undercover and getting women pregnant or, or, or, or.

The Police are beyond saving. They’ll apologise time and time again, but it’s time to give up on them.

This I feel is quite the generalisation and one that lots of people have until they need to call on them.
    Mate, lots of good coppers out there doing their very best, working awful shifts dealing with more shit than you could possibly imagine for pay that can best be described as pathetic.

Trouble is you never hear about the good that the police do, you never hear about all the lives saved every day. You only ever hear about the bad.
    And yes there IS bad in the population of officers out there. That's something that needs serious work on.

But please, don't go calling all police evil. It's an insult to every good officer out there who has sacrificed so much for so little.

• The Police have been pretty amazingly helpful whenever I’ve been unlucky enough to need them. But then, I’ve rarely been at the sharp end. It’s rarely been anything you’d call serious.

Here’s my unsolicited and unqualified reckon:

Most coppers are ace. They’re good people doing a hard job as well as they can.

It’s absolutely fucking vital that every time bad behaviour comes to light, it is investigated and publicly seen to be dealt with harshly as quickly as possible. And by bad behaviour I mean the actual rotten, nasty shit like in this ‘Girl Q’ case. Copper on the take? Swift, harsh justice for them. Copper abusing someone? Swift, harsh justice for them. The Police have to be held to higher standards than John Q Citizen. Not the same standards, higher ones.
  • It probably doesn't help that most peoples experience of the police is a) actively bad like in the examples mentioned above or b) Calling on them and them being absolutely useless.

I'm sure that there are good officers. But as an institution, the police are fucked and need to be totally overhauled.
  • I was once attacked in the street. Mugged, abducted at knifepoint, robbed and threatened with murder, at great length. The very next day the three offenders were in custody and a pair of detectives were sitting with me to get my testimony and confirmation of their identities. The Police can be fucking brilliant when you really need them.
  • There are No Excuses for the abuses of power from ANY officer of the law. Any offence or misuse of power should be investigated and the officers held account. This does happen, just seems not enough in the MET.

Have you noticed how most of these incidents seem to come from the Met by the way?

• poprock wrote:
    The Police have been pretty amazingly helpful whenever I’ve been unlucky enough to need them. But then, I’ve rarely been at the sharp end. It’s rarely been anything you’d call serious.
    poprock wrote:
    I was once attacked in the street. Mugged, abducted at knifepoint, robbed and threatened with murder, at great length.

I mean...

Based on every interaction I've had though, I'd probably have thought twice about calling them even for the above .
  • . But please, don't go calling all police evil. It's an insult to every good officer out there who has sacrificed so much for so little.

You weren't a police offer for very long, so best not act like an expert Wookie. 

They beat they beat their partners up on a higher rate than the national average, they assassinate foreign nationals, they abuse women, they abuse minorities. They are consistently NOT held to account unless it becomes national news. The police are evil.
  • A police force is a good idea, but I pretty much expect them to be absolute paragons, given the responsibilities involved. This has not, historically, been the shakeout.
  • Brooks wrote:
    A police force is a good idea, but I pretty much expect them to be absolute paragons, given the responsibilities involved.

I agree. That’s a much better (shorter) way of saying what I meant.
  • poprock wrote:
    I was once attacked in the street. Mugged, abducted at knifepoint, robbed and threatened with murder, at great length. The very next day the three offenders were in custody and a pair of detectives were sitting with me to get my testimony and confirmation of their identities. The Police can be fucking brilliant when you really need them.

You're a dude and far richer than most.
  • You're a dude and far richer than most.

That’s true of most of us here.
  • poprock wrote:
    You're a dude and far richer than most.
    That’s true of most of us here.

And your point is? Even by our standards you're well off, no?
  • Do you think your experience is indicative of the actual standard of police? Do you think you are indicative of the average complainant?
  • I haven't lived in the UK in 16 years. No idea how i'm more switched on to what is happening politically and in the police than most of you. FML.
  • In my brief two years on the job I gave my everything to the point that the job broke me both physically and emotionally. It nearly wrecked my marriage.
    I worked every hour of the day and night, missing birthdays and Christmas events with loved ones.

I stood in the pouring rain by a roadside holding a suicidal man's wrists together after he cut them both wide open with a kitchen knife to stop him bleeding out.
    I climbed through broken windows to try and give CPR to man who died on scene whilst his family cried outside, being held back from the scene by colleagues.
    I've been attacked with knives on a routine traffic stop.
    I've had to tell a mother that her 16 year old son died the night before because he was stabbed by his drug dealer.
    I've had to race to help a female colleague who was being kicked to death by 7 large males because she dared to respond to a call about a drug deal taking place and had to go solo with no backup as we were so understaffed.
    I've had to stand for 12 hours in a blood soaked corridor, covered in a victims blood with no sign of a rest of even sip of water because again, we had no staff to take over.
    I've had to take countless missing reports from distraught parents only to then spend the next 12 hours scouring every known location in every town, street and forest to help find the missing child.
    I've talked suicidal members of the public down from railway bridges, tower block roofs and motorway bridges.
    I've spent all night sat in the back of an ambulance with members of the public undergoing severe mental trauma because there's noone available to see them.
    I've responded to reports of domestic assault to countless victims, suffering broken bones and black eyes, arrested the husband only to find that she has refused to give a statement against him because "oh he's not that bad really" and then we've had no choice but to release him and then of course I'm back there 2 nights later for the same thing, only this time I've got the victim trying to assault me for daring to get involved in their business.

All because I've dared to care and tried to make a difference.

Yea I suppose that means I'm evil.
    I suppose that means I'm racist.

Fuck you.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yeah, but aside from that wookie, what the fuck would you know about it?
  • I never mentioned racism Wookie, you’re projecting.

A lot of people have also sealed with suicide, and knife attacks and domestic abuse, and attack of female colleagues…

They don’t use it as some gotcha over people to try and make them feel bad or prove them wrong. What is wrong with you?
  • I know more about it than I pray any of you have to.
  • No I'm stating that please don't go call all police evil. There are damn good people out there doing damn good things.
    Your statement of all coppers being evil is frankly insulting
  • Oh suck my dick and get off your high horse both of you.
  • I think you need to pull back a bit here Cinty.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!