Current Affairs
  • I did wonder what the fuck teal independent meant.
  • Fucking hell. Elementary school shooting.

14 kids, a teacher and the shooter all dead.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Think it currently sits at 18 dead children and 3 dead adults. I posted a link earlier in the America thread.

What can you say still, the shooting in the supermarket wasn't that long ago, then there was the church here in Orange County, and I've seen one or two other news articles that were only minor shootings in the last two weeks I think. Kow is right, the US is quite fucked in a scary way. It often feels like don't argue with stupid, only stupid also has access to guns.

And not really related, but I've been seeing articles for weeks now that California is gonna need to start a state wide water preservation thing. As it's just too hot and too dry. Never imagined that was a thing, but here we are. At least some of the Las Vegas lakes are getting so dry that the corpses get discovered, most likely mob related.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Over 45k gun homicides in 2020 alone in America.

27 school shootings this year alone. By May.

Last year was the 'record' at 34.

The country is completely and utterly fucked. Imagine living somewhere thinking your kid could be shot dead today when you send them off to school.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    And I slowly see the GoFundMe's popping up for funeral costs etc. I've seen people next to the road with signs up asking for money to be able to pay for a funeral, or in other cases cancer treatment. Absolutely awful to think that it's a possibility that some of the families of today's victims might have to go into debt just because of a mad man.

I'm not saying this is the case, and the GoFundMe's might be legit and help them, but days like today suddenly make me remember the things we've seen that you just don't expect to see in a country that thinks they're an example to the rest of the world, and that still attracts immigrants because they genuinely think the American dream can be a reality. (And again, this can be true for some, and it will be a better place with more opportunities for plenty of them. It's hard to describe America after living here for 5 years, it feels impossible to understand.)
  • Jesus fucking Christ.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    This earthquake in Afghanistan signs bad :-(
  • The Mo Farah stuff that’s finally coming out is incredible.  For those that haven’t seen it - he’s revealed he  was illegally trafficked to the UK and forced to work as a servant/slave.  He eventually confessed his situation to his PE teacher who notified social services and got him out of there (and subsequently also helped him get citizenship).

It might give pause to those who delude themselves that Modern Slavery isn’t a thing in this country…
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Holy shit.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Tory government will probably ship him off to Rwanda now.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • It’s an incredible story, as many of his tend to be. I just can’t shake the unease at the fact that a man who was once incredibly fast at running has been given an official pass to stay, yet they’ll keep families with less fast dads separated and unable to re-enter the country.

It’s not Mo’s fault mind.
  • Also, who the fuck has little African kids running their house? “What we need Mary, is a small cheap child to clean the chimneys, shoe the horses and do the Sainsburys shop.”???
  • Also, who the fuck has little African kids running their house? “What we need Mary, is a small cheap child to clean the chimneys, shoe the horses and do the Sainsburys shop.”???

Ain't upper middle class white assholes keeping african slaves (these days, anyway) or child trafficking in general. Same goes for women and girls being trafficked into sexual slavery - although in this case their customers absolutely can be white and middle / upper middle class. 

Not to say we shouldn't hate on toffs, people with horses etc. They have it coming too. Showing off by having a functional chimney in 2022.
  • Although, there absolutely are white gangmasters / sweatshop workers that take advantage of exploitative labour / effective slavery in the food, textile industries.
  • Modern slavery is still very much a thing, we just don't hear about it in our comfortable little lives.

It's horrific what human beings are capable of doing to each other.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Who is gonna play him in the inevitable movie adaptation then?
  • Leigh Francis.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Dwayne The Rock Johnson
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Jacob Rees Mogg
    Gamertag: gremill
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Jacob "The Rees" Mogg
  • Turkey's annual inflation rate is due to hit 80%!
    https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/turkeys-annual-inflation-hits-fresh-24-year-high-796-2022-08-03/

"food and non-alcoholic drinks prices climbed 94.65%"

Wow! I cant even imagine how that works. Keep in mind we are reeling over 9%.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's because g.man keeps eating all their chickens
  • Fuck knows but my gas and electricity bill is to go up by over 300 quid in a couple of months, and it's only about 200 just now. I'm no mathematician but that's more than 9%
    Anybody want to buy a hot tub BTW?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Does it come with a solar array?
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Boolitt wrote:
    Anybody want to buy a hot tub BTW?

That’s no way to speak about your wife.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Very good, Hair
    All joking aside though, how are folk going to cope with this pish.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The government is going to have to step in, there’s not really any other option.

Hopefully Truss or Sunak are able to grasp this before too much damage is inflicted.
  • Boolitt wrote:
    Very good, Hair
    All joking aside though, how are folk going to cope with this pish.
    We are not. Simple. Poverty for millions
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Hopefully Truss or Sunak are able to grasp this before too much damage is inflicted.

This seems unlikely. Not least cos absolutely fuckloads of damage had already been inflicted, with them pretty much at the helm, over the last decade+.

General strike / civil disobedience/ dissent seem increasingly likely. Feels like what we need for a genuine material change, and kinda what she have been hoping for. I guess it happening peacefully is more realistically what we might hope for? Fuck knows then.

And I'm very aware I'm one of the lucky ones who does not have experience if living on the breadline, or below, these are very troubling times.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!