Climate change apathy Ragnarok thread
  • Like, Fox only survives and thrives because it serves an audience. The Mail too. etc. reduce that audience (or rather, reduce that audience's appetite for climate change denial or AGM denial, because racists gonna racist) and you'll find those columnists no longer so willing to talk about it, you'll find Fox part of the consensus
  • look I know I'm not changing anyone's minds in here and I'm sorry to stink up the thread so early on a Monday morning
  • This is the problem at the moment. Hurricanes in Florida, tornados in the South East, snow in the North, so what? Like I said, I don't know what the thing is that could change that. As long as the effects of climate change are to exaggerate already existing weather patterns in the US, we're all fucked. Thank you for coming to my TED Talk. 
    xVYzcXy.png
    https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/access/billions/
  • I'm worried that en masse our civilisation is increasingly comfortable with ignoring or becoming desensitised to high mortality events.

I'm scared about what it would take to make a critical mass commit to personal change.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I reckon that a critical mass already has committed to personal change. How many people in the west in this day and age truly don’t care about their carbon footprint and take no steps at all to reduce it? Not many, I’d wager.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    Within this very page of this very thread there are criticisms of "people" (I assumed from it was members of the public?) who will remain sceptical and hand wave things away until they are underwater and even then just say things like "it's natural, gotta get some gills", and yet still, the position that we can all contribute to changing things (no, not just via virtue signalling yoghurt pot cleaning or dropping a steak from a diet), which would contribute to the education and mass movement towards pressure and changing mindsets and behaviours, which would lead to fewer people resisting the science and fewer people denying reality and more pressure on those leading us and representing us, is totally misunderstood and misrepresented.

It's not about making you feel guilty for your steak, Paul, or suggesting that people giving up steaks would equal the breakthrough we need to save us. It's about finding a way to get people (both 'everyone', especially those normies who deny climate science or hope for magic, and our leaders and representatives who come up with laws) to do something about this before it really is too late (unless you do believe magic of course?) - laws are the only way you will stop businesses in China, the US, India etc from fucking us up for real.

This conversation is a dead end I know I'm gonna get loads of "ha you've fallen for the large company trap, putting all the guilt onto us the little people as if me not eating steak makes any difference" and I'm going to wonder again at the logical capabilities of human beings and then eat a steak and post it on tiktok to show them big businesses

I agree with you, ignore my piss taking.

Global legislation and cooperation on a scale never before seen will pull us out the mire. But I've got no answer for how we're supposed to convince anyone in power that it's in everyone's best interests to do so. It's the kind of thing that is so unbelievably obvious that it's bizarre to me that they need convincing in the first place
  • Personal responsibility will not save us.
  • Vela wrote:
    I'm worried that en masse our civilisation is increasingly comfortable with ignoring or becoming desensitised to high mortality events. I'm scared about what it would take to make a critical mass commit to personal change.

I'm sort of accepting towards it. The pushback even here, where everyone accepts climate change is real and present and imminent and worse to come, and that it can be prevented (or the worst impacts of it to be more truthful) to "we all need to do some things so that other people buy into those things and eventually the critical mass leads to major regulatory, legal, and commercial / capitalistic change" is extraordinary, to my eyes - the justification for not changing behaviours or taking any responsibility, generally "it's the big companies fault", isn't a response: of course it is the big companies fault. who funds them? how do we divert / change that funding? how do we force them to do so with market conditions, AND through regulatory / governmental means?

If it's 'do nothing and hope for a miracle' then I guess we'll see
  • For many it can be a luxury. Can't afford a fuel efficient car. The cheapest food isn't the most environmentally friendly.

Countries that weren't urbanised until the last few hundred years don't necessarily have great infrastructure that helps to ameliorate basic logistical challenges such as wasting four hours per day commuting to work.

Edit: this was in reply to yossarian
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • We’ve had this conversation but consumers are blind to the true environmental impacts of their choices. Since loads of the problem is in the production of goods and supply chains. Those they aren’t blind to (eg don’t drive) are huge personal penalties they’re taking upon themselves and being punished by society for.
  • monkey wrote:
    Personal responsibility will not save us.

It's this that gets me. Personal responsibility will not save us - what does that actually mean, in practice? If you take "personal responsibility" to begin and end at "recycle more" or as Yoss says "care (a bit!) about personal footprint and take steps (how many? are you serious with this?) to reduce it" then obviously it won't save us. If we ALL stopped eating beef like tomorrow, then actually that would have an appreciable impact (even more so if we stopped eating dairy too), BUT a) that's clearly impossible and isn't going to happen and b) I'd rather not have the scenes of bovine carnage as millions are slaughtered anyway

So YES of course personal responsibility, so narrowly defined, will not achieve anything by itself. Can we move past this?

The argument has always been that personal responsibility, leading to collective action on a critical mass scale, changes the very markets that carbon companies deal with, changes the very electorate that governments appeal to for their jobs.

It's very very unlikely we'll be able to change the energy market, demand for energy is higher than ever and renewables are NOWHERE near being able to replace them, nor can they in many specific ways (load balance, capacity fluxes etc). So how does me not eating a steak impact that? Well, it doesn't. But if you not eating a steak, and your kids not eating a steak, and the rest of your family not eating a steak, and then more of your friends and family not eating a steak, then wider communities not eating a steak, then whole areas not eating a steak, entire countries showing steak eating at all time lows, then you massively reduce the need for much agricultural energy and you show governments that people are actually serious about this climate change thing (multiply 'not eating steak' by many other 'things we can do') and then any prospective government, any opposition with a chance, is going to say "well front and centre here's what we're gonna do" (see labour plan in guardian today - ambitious!) and that becomes a a REAL ELECTORAL THING rather than an afterthought (OOH MAH MORTGAGE and THEY TAKN R JURBS always much louder than HOLY SHIT I'M GONNA DROWN) and well all of this isn't going to happen so
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    For many it can be a luxury. Can't afford a fuel efficient car. The cheapest food isn't the most environmentally friendly.

Countries that weren't urbanised until the last few hundred years don't necessarily have great infrastructure that helps to ameliorate basic logistical challenges such as wasting four hours per day commuting to work.

Poor people don’t tend to produce much carbon regardless of the car they drive or the food they buy, most of the CO2 is produced by the rich. Those in the middle tend to be trying to reduce carbon footprints.
  • Again this is not a harangue about making people feel guilty for their choices, it's merely my thoughts on what is necessary to get the regulations and real society level changes needed. We do what we have to, and monkey is dead right above, we're blind (deliberately or otherwise) to our consumer choices and their impacts, and anyone who does try and make positive choices for climate is often only able to do so as a massive luxury

Any despair that comes through is not through lack of convincing people in this thread, it's just the sheer impossibility of the task - as you all say, there are people literally underwater saying it's just weather, fukcing Julia H-B was on question time, on the fucking BBC for fuck's sake, dismissing the unprecedented heatwave as "just weather", I wouldn't be surprised if she referenced motherfucking 1976
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Please don't make me order the Uncharted games in this thread
  • I suppose my position is summed up by: getting to the regulatory / legal / capitalistic change we need is going to take a huge sacrifice in personal life choices across the board - sacrifice in our lives NOW for those of us in relative comfort in the west, and sacrifice in potential quality of lives for those with emergent middle classes (China, India etc). I cannot see an alternative to this other than magic. If you take this as the foundational basis (you do not need to agree with this - I would love to see alternate options than sacrifice vs magic!) to force via critical mass movement the regulatory / legal / capitalistic changes, that's the root of my argument - I do not see how ELSE we can force China, who look after China coal, who singlehandedly emit 14 motherfucking percent of all CO2 in the world, to give one example, to be shut down soon.

China's leadership depends on new middle classes saying "yeah OK you monitor and control everything and we have a huge democratise deficit but QoL is OK and there are opportunities etc" . You say to them "sorry it's brownouts, it's much less meat, it's massively expensive energy, it's reduced travel, it's reduced gadgets (another pillar of the economy being manufacturing), it's reduced or more expensive building (another pillar of the economy)" then they'll be like "nah fuck you". How do you persuade hundreds of millions of people that they need to sacrifice their opportunities of middle class comfort to save the world?
  • How much rainforest has been cleared to make the revolting tofu burger that I ordered in place of the steak? Who's profiting from it and what have they done with the money? I will (and do) eat a ton of crap vegetarian food. But as far as I see it, I'm still just another mouth eating and consuming the planet. 

It's just a question of emphasis though really. There isn't much of a disagreement itt. Systems and people need to change and both influence each other. So that's why I give the wash your yoghurt pots messaging pretty short shrift. 
    SECOND WORLD WAR ANALOGY ALERT
    You can't expect people to make the sacrifices and lifestyle changes they did between 1939-1945 when the government is still stuck in 1930s appeasement mode.
  • The haranguing of individuals stuff has been done to death precisely because it is cheap, non-commital for governemnt and can get us pointing the finger at each other.
    Whatever two-bit MP is Climate Sec this month invites the marketing guy from Sainsbury's in for a chat. Sainsbury's launch their "Eat some lentils dickhead" campaign because they care, while shoving lentils in the middle, bottom shelf of the world food aisle while 3 for £10 meat takes up an end of aisle promo. Its all our fault we ate the sausages, the government and supermarkets tried dammit!

This sticks in people's craw and they turn into anti-climate voters because they are fed up of being hassled.

Its got to be bigger than all that now.
    Start with the alternatives people wont notice and the things people want to change but can't.

In reality we have Captain Rishi Planet deciding at the last minute to go to COP27 while his chancellor is at home planning 20% VAT on electric cars. No Solar on British fields for British food for British people.
  • Monkey That's asinine and you know it:

1) first of all well done for value judgement on 'revolting'. a 'win the argument' point rather than an engage with the argument point if ever I saw one. Why bother? you may as well resort to ad hominem

2) second more importantly, the whole point is take responsibility to some extent (and accepting how difficult that is). If you're dumb enough to swap steak for extremely dodgily sourced tofu then that isn't achieving the goal I"m talking about, is it? your "capitalistic change" is broadly none, or maybe even worse. That's not taking responsibility it's being dumb and taken for a ride. It doesn't figure into my argument at all - I already accept that this is difficult AND unlikely!

and I've addressed the more serious point countless times already. The government is 'stuck' in appeasement mode BECAUSE we are unwilling to make the sacrifices and lifestyle choices necessary to push them into war footing. The reason the WW2 comparison is so silly which you acknowledge is because with WW2 we were under direct and imminent threat of being invaded and killed and subjugated by an understood, clear enemy. Climate change isn't a bunch of nazis is it? So changing the gov stance, changing gov policies, to be electable, won't happen until that 'to be electable' becomes the reality - ie: when the majority of the country by a sizeable margin really is willing to suffer  through changes, and will only vote for a gov that will achieve them

Liv again it's not about haranguing, it's about recognising (at least in my opinion) what's needed to achieve proper change. The reason the gov does stupid virtue signalling shit, and enacts broadly harmful policies in opposition to their stated positions on climate change, is because they can: they represent us. You want that to change, you need people to recognise the danger and act / change accordingly. If you don't see that happening (I don't), then I can't see the gov changing, and therefore I Don't see the corps changing and they will be mining coal with the last of the wall-e robots to keep the cockroaches warm
  • My personal experience of Chinese people, including those CO2 emitting middle classes, is that they’re very environmentally aware.

They save water, they don’t turn heating or air con on unnecessarily, they wear sweaters and coats indoors in winter even during times of financial plenty. They’re number 2 in the world for per capita adoption of electric cars, no 1 for in the world per capita for bikes, 99% busses and public transport electric, near 100% taxis not on fossil fuels, way up in the world for personal solar adoption, no.1 hydro, way up there for wind as well.

Even meat consumption is way below most countries. Their per capita CO2 output despite all that fucking building and construction going on and all that manufacturing they do (for us as well) is only a bit above the UK and less than half of the USA.

Yes, they’re no 1 for pollution, but they’re the most populous nation on Earth and a developing economy - per person they already make more efforts in their day to day lives than anyone I know in the UK or America.

You wanna get China onboard? They’re onboard, they’re leading most countries in the world. They genuinely care a lot about the environment and there’s zero debate about the effect of man made emissions on the environment. But there’s a limit to how much you can ask of them without addressing the Middle Eastern and American elephants in the room.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Vela wrote:
    For many it can be a luxury. Can't afford a fuel efficient car. The cheapest food isn't the most environmentally friendly.

Poor people don’t tend to produce much carbon regardless of the car they drive or the food they buy, most of the CO2 is produced by the rich. Those in the middle tend to be trying to reduce carbon footprints.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I wasn't singling out poverty here. My point is that choices on how our cities are designed (eg urban sprawl in USA, Australia) and supermarket cartels (cheap sausages, expensive fruit and veg) can force people - rich or poor - into environmentally unfriendly behaviour.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I agree, but that’s looping back around to systemic changes being needed and personal responsibility having very little impact.
  • China even have given up fireworks in cities for pretty much the past 5-7 years. Even during spring festival.
  • My personal experience of Chinese people, including those CO2 emitting middle classes, is that they’re very environmentally aware. They save water, they don’t turn heating or air con on unnecessarily, they wear sweaters and coats indoors in winter even during times of financial plenty. They’re number 2 in the world for per capita adoption of electric cars, no 1 for in the world per capita for bikes, 99% busses and public transport electric, near 100% taxis not on fossil fuels, way up in the world for personal solar adoption, no.1 hydro, way up there for wind as well. Even meat consumption is way below most countries. Their per capita CO2 output despite all that fucking building and construction going on and all that manufacturing they do (for us as well) is only a bit above the UK and less than half of the USA. Yes, they’re no 1 for pollution, but they’re the most populous nation on Earth and a developing economy - per person they already make more efforts in their day to day lives than anyone I know in the UK or America. You wanna get China onboard? They’re onboard, they’re leading most countries in the world. They genuinely care a lot about the environment and there’s zero debate about the effect of man made emissions on the environment. But there’s a limit to how much you can ask of them without addressing the Middle Eastern and American elephants in the room.

It has to be collaborative and in total, yes - you can't have one country saying "well now that China has turned off coal we're alright to keep private planes" or whatever. That's what trades collaboratives (WTO, world bank, UN, IMF, etc) and treaties are for. Maybe even force, given the existential threat.

But the kind of sacrifices Chinese middle classes will need to make - to name just one thing, wean their economy's dependency off coal and concrete - are far more than you mention. They are life changing. And they won't accept it, I think. And nor will we, or the Americans. BUT what you are mentioning is yet the only way we can go, and hope for: if it continues as a trend, and if it spreads beyond China's borders in a serious way. 

Because the reality is being no2 for electric cars is a drop in ocean, and meat consumption is on the way up and up as prosperity grows, and solar / wind and hydro mean not much compared to one coal company = 14% CO2, so it needs to accelerate, and spread, and grow and grow and not reverse in any way, and put pressure on the leadership to enact change. Right now, it's the kind of virtue signalling Liv and others decry. It's not about how much better China middle classes are than, say, US or Euro (although that is a good, separate point) it's about how likely it is that the movement will reach a mass critical enough to impact China Coal (my shorthand for everything)
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Monkey That's asinine and you know it: 1) first of all well done for value judgement on 'revolting'. a 'win the argument' point rather than an engage with the argument point if ever I saw one. Why bother? you may as well resort to ad hominem 2) second more importantly, the whole point is take responsibility to some extent (and accepting how difficult that is). If you're dumb enough to swap steak for extremely dodgily sourced tofu then that isn't achieving the goal I"m talking about, is it? your "capitalistic change" is broadly none, or maybe even worse. That's not taking responsibility it's being dumb and taken for a ride. It doesn't figure into my argument at all - I already accept that this is difficult AND unlikely! and I've addressed the more serious point countless times already. The government is 'stuck' in appeasement mode BECAUSE we are unwilling to make the sacrifices and lifestyle choices necessary to push them into war footing. The reason the WW2 comparison is so silly which you acknowledge is because with WW2 we were under direct and imminent threat of being invaded and killed and subjugated by an understood, clear enemy. Climate change isn't a bunch of nazis is it? So changing the gov stance, changing gov policies, to be electable, won't happen until that 'to be electable' becomes the reality - ie: when the majority of the country by a sizeable margin really is willing to suffer  through changes, and will only vote for a gov that will achieve them Liv again it's not about haranguing, it's about recognising (at least in my opinion) what's needed to achieve proper change. The reason the gov does stupid virtue signalling shit, and enacts broadly harmful policies in opposition to their stated positions on climate change, is because they can: they represent us. You want that to change, you need people to recognise the danger and act / change accordingly. If you don't see that happening (I don't), then I can't see the gov changing, and therefore I Don't see the corps changing and they will be mining coal with the last of the wall-e robots to keep the cockroaches warm
    I don't know if it is asinine. 
    1) The gf is vegetarian and does the cooking. So I eat loads of that stuff and I don't like any of it. I'm qualified to make that judgement. Tofu in stir fry is ok. Richmond meat-free sausages are actually pretty good. And eggs. Everything else, poor to grim. 
    2) You can only vote for what's on offer. My choices are fossil fuel cunts, all mouth no trousers Labour (although they have improved a lot), and Green. But because our voting system is a mess, voting Green actually improves the chances of fossil fuel cunts getting in. 

You're really relying on the older generation to change their minds. They're the ones that keep voting for the cunts and believing the bullshit. And that system of lies is kept going by the government / media / corporate establishment. So again, it's the top-down system.
  • Chasing electability is something I give pretty short shrift to in most circumstances. In this case, it's something governments can lead on super easily.

Building up renewables of any form is going to mean the creation of high skilled jobs. It's no different than Governments past who pushed for car manufacturing to come to the UK. You don't need a focus group to tell you to do it.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    My personal experience of Chinese people, including those CO2 emitting middle classes, is that they’re very environmentally aware. They save water, they don’t turn heating or air con on unnecessarily, they wear sweaters and coats indoors in winter even during times of financial plenty. They’re number 2 in the world for per capita adoption of electric cars, no 1 for in the world per capita for bikes, 99% busses and public transport electric, near 100% taxis not on fossil fuels, way up in the world for personal solar adoption, no.1 hydro, way up there for wind as well. Even meat consumption is way below most countries. Their per capita CO2 output despite all that fucking building and construction going on and all that manufacturing they do (for us as well) is only a bit above the UK and less than half of the USA. Yes, they’re no 1 for pollution, but they’re the most populous nation on Earth and a developing economy - per person they already make more efforts in their day to day lives than anyone I know in the UK or America. You wanna get China onboard? They’re onboard, they’re leading most countries in the world. They genuinely care a lot about the environment and there’s zero debate about the effect of man made emissions on the environment. But there’s a limit to how much you can ask of them without addressing the Middle Eastern and American elephants in the room.

It has to be collaborative and in total, yes - you can't have one country saying "well now that China has turned off coal we're alright to keep private planes" or whatever. That's what trades collaboratives (WTO, world bank, UN, IMF, etc) and treaties are for. Maybe even force, given the existential threat.

But the kind of sacrifices Chinese middle classes will need to make - to name just one thing, wean their economy's dependency off coal and concrete - are far more than you mention. They are life changing. And they won't accept it, I think. And nor will we, or the Americans. BUT what you are mentioning is yet the only way we can go, and hope for: if it continues as a trend, and if it spreads beyond China's borders in a serious way. 

Because the reality is being no2 for electric cars is a drop in ocean, and meat consumption is on the way up and up as prosperity grows, and solar / wind and hydro mean not much compared to one coal company = 14% CO2, so it needs to accelerate, and spread, and grow and grow and not reverse in any way, and put pressure on the leadership to enact change. Right now, it's the kind of virtue signalling Liv and others decry. It's not about how much better China middle classes are than, say, US or Euro (although that is a good, separate point) it's about how likely it is that the movement will reach a mass critical enough to impact China Coal (my shorthand for everything)

I think you underestimate the level of sacrifices the Chinese people can and do make for overall, selfless social safety and stability. The one country in the world still doing Covid zero.

Collaboration is all well and good, and I have shown you real world actions Chinese people and the state take to reduce emissions and waste. There’s certainly areas to improve by the effort put in by citizens and state is massive. Where’s the equivalent in the UK? People are only considering lowering their heating usage this year because they can’t afford power.

Collaboration sure. Where are China’s collaborators? And what do you mean by “maybe by force”? Force from who against who?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I agree, but that’s looping back around to systemic changes being needed and personal responsibility having very little impact.

Our society is completely intertwined; locally and internationally.

We all need to do better, some more than others, but that systemic change is also necessary. A planetary scale crisis has to be addressed at all levels.
  • The force bit was musing. Upon reflection ill judged: if we get to a point where international collaboration between states is such that an outlier not adhering to whatever treaties and rules have been set up to protect us against climate change, I’m pretty sure that diplomatic means would be enough. I had in mind major fossil fuels providers whose economies are weighted towards their exports: surely the better way of dealing is helping them rebalance economy, literally pay them not to produce oil etc.

As for the rest I was agreeing with you and impressed with the level of self sacrifice for greater good (apart from predicted raises in meat eating and energy use and concrete use etc), absolutely agreeing that we don’t see that here and especially not in the US, and that we need that and more besides to achieve the changes necessary the critical mass that changes everything and actually gets us on a path to sustainability.

Is pitting the achievements of one country / society against another (we’re doing this - what are you doing?) a good way of obtaining that critical mass? Maybe it is, maybe it’s a fundamental approach even (amongst others: persuasion, logic, compensation, etc) but it’s tough not to sound hypocritical when one company does so much harm by itself
  • I mean I don’t like china leadership ideals, I’d prefer an open and democratic society in principle, I don’t like forced assimilation of entire cultures like the Uighurs and I’m very concerned about succession from a position of almost absolute power - it never seems to go very well.

But I’m not in here criticising them on this climate change topic or singling them out other than like the US they pollute a lot so are an easy go to. and am well aware of the hypocrisy and dumbness and awfulness on display around the world with our ‘democracy’
  • If anything an autocratic authoritarian gov may be the only way to achieve the actual changes needed, right?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!