Climate change apathy Ragnarok thread
  • Funkstain wrote:
    If anything an autocratic authoritarian gov may be the only way to achieve the actual changes needed, right?

I’d hope not, and I get where you are coming from now - apologies if my response came across overly hostile.

I admire China a lot - it’s a bloody brilliant country. And seeing first hand the huge effort, from grassroots up, to protect the environment has been heartening (even if they could do with using far, far fewer plastics!). From a personal aversion to energy waste, food waste, a commitment to planting trees (we do tree planting days), a commitment to renewables and building the infrastructure around it - electric cars! Electric buses! High speed rail! Regular and cheap public transport! Metro lines aplenty! Home solar!

It’s a lot and it’s cool. China pollutes a lot, it’s a big country. Globally though it sits right on the average per capita pollution. That’s both heartening (as it is growing) and distressing - it’s doing a lot but it’s clearly not enough.

Which brings us to democracy. I’ve been in China my entire adult life now, which is fucking weird to think about. And I pray to god that this is not the only way to get things done. For all the good it does (and it does do good) I’m with you on preferring democratic ideals and principles.

The fact is, I do think force is the answer, but not one directed from one country to another. I think a capitalist led democracy fails, and I don’t see things changing quick enough to matter. Why would it?

We have the info, we know what is happening, and our great grandkids won’t be sympathetic when we tell them we cared about the environment but someone splashed orange on the glass of a Van Gogh, or didn’t use the right tone when advocating for change. They won’t care while famine and disease ravage them and their throats are filled with tumours. They will hate us. Rightly so.

The morally correct path, to save the most lives and to give our kids a fair future, is likely an abhorrent one. Violence, not against a country, but against power structures. Civil unrest. Eco terrorism. Thats the stuff I feel comfortable typing out, but that’s the reality. We’re not bringing people around fast enough. Democracy changes by force and by constant growing civil disobedience or, bizarrely, you accept democracy can’t solve the problem.

But if you’re waiting for Labour or the Tories or the republicans or democrats to take action, or the greens to get into power…

It’s not gonna happen.
  • The fact is though that non-violent, peaceful collaboration requires holding your nose. It means America and the UK not constantly attacking China then expecting them to pull more than their fair share on Russia and the environment.

That’s the compromise right there and it sucks. But if the USA continues to vilify China, and pollute at twice the rate of China per capita, then don’t expect Chinese people to be perceptive to any more sacrifice.

Is it right? No, but that’s the political system we have.
  • So that's good, we now have more than two paths to success:

- Grassroots leading to critical mass leading to regulation and laws and capital change of focus

- Magic

- Violent overthrow of power structures (and establishment of...something else more pleasant and environmentally friendly?)

I prefer the former! But as you say not going fast enough and may not even be achievable in time.

I don't believe in magic.

And violence is definitely gonna happen at some point but it will be haphazard and nasty and I'm not sure there's a plan in place for what happens after you flood the coalmine / destroy the factory / kill Bezos
  • Funkstain wrote:
    So that's good, we now have more than two paths to success:

- Grassroots leading to critical mass leading to regulation and laws and capital change of focus

- Magic

- Violent overthrow of power structures (and establishment of...something else more pleasant and environmentally friendly?)

I prefer the former! But as you say not going fast enough and may not even be achievable in time.

I don't believe in magic.

And violence is definitely gonna happen at some point but it will be haphazard and nasty and I'm not sure there's a plan in place for what happens after you flood the coalmine / destroy the factory / kill Bezos

I also prefer the former.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The grass roots thing still has a whiff of the tail wagging the dog to me.

It just doesn't work like that, does it?
  • I think the theory is that our politicians have no backbone. They’ll only do something if they think it will help them get re-elected next time around. So they’ll only do something about the climate crisis if we, the voting public, show that we give a shit first.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I think the politicians are more interested in what big business wants than what the plebs are bothered about
  • But the only way you can really do that is through the Greens. Which creates the problem of splitting the progressive vote and letting in more Tories. It needs a climate Farage. Some attention-grabbing, outspoken, ball sack that a critical mass of people can form around, giving Labour no choice but to get serious about it.

Or it could even come from the right.
    https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1589607555134734341
  • If the Greens start picking up more and more council seats, then Labour will start paying more attention to environmental issues. They shouldn't need to though, this should be freebies to Labour.
  • monkey wrote:
    But the only way you can really do that is through the Greens. Which creates the problem of splitting the progressive vote and letting in more Tories. It needs a climate Farage. Some attention-grabbing, outspoken, ball sack that a critical mass of people can form around, giving Labour no choice but to get serious about it.

Or it could even come from the right.
    https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1589607555134734341
    If the Greens start picking up more and more council seats, then Labour will start paying more attention to environmental issues. They shouldn't need to though, this should be freebies to Labour.

I mean, this is only true if you believe democratic action = The Vote.

I’d argue any force for change on environmental policy now needs to be divorced from parties. Make disruption and activism so prevalent that parties have no choice but to concede.

And don’t pay attention to borders. Push for a boycott on all American goods. Australian goods too. If we care about pollution they’re some of the worst in the developed world. Disrupt the lives of the powerful constantly and then follow that up with personal sacrifices irregardless of whether it’ll make a difference in the big scheme of things.
  • But if environment = what if Labour or what if Greens, then you’ve lost.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I wonder what our consumption patterns will look like this winter, now that energy prices are dumb high?
    Was trying to find some clear data on energy usage during the lock down, most sources say there was a significant dip:

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/08/covid19-change-energy-electricity-use-lockdowns-falling-demand/

Pricing us out of using energy with mad prices could be an idea, if the money goes to the right people.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • poprock wrote:
    I think the theory is that our politicians have no backbone. They’ll only do something if they think it will help them get re-elected next time around. So they’ll only do something about the climate crisis if we, the voting public, show that we give a shit first.

Politicians on average act on behalf of the market.

Until the most lucrative action is to take environmentally sound decisions, the economy will power on towards the abyss. Growth must continue, apparently.

Again, has anyone read Ministry for the future? Cinty and funkstain have hit on some of the major concepts of it.

Another one is the idea of transforming carbon credits into an actual global currency supplanting the dollar, pound, euro, etc. Where value increases the more carbon dioxide you sequester or not emit in the first place.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    We probably need to stop 'trying' to recycle plastic, and demand a bit more from our government:
    https://www.greenpeace.org.uk/news/plastic-recycling-export-incineration/

Caveat: I learnt this from a campaigner who appears to be well known for tracking down these kind of environmentally reckless loopholes, but is designated as a climate sceptic.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Plastic not being recycled is an established thing, so I don't think your source matters too much on that.

It's a problem that's baffling to me. Build recycling plants in the UK, in places that have high unemployment. This creates jobs, and tackles the problem of plastic waste.
  • It's not profitable. 
    So requires state support / investment. 
    But Tories.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Or just ban the use of single use plastics, or tax them so producers use better alternatives.
  • It's not profitable, which is why we shouldn't rely on private companies. It wasn't that long ago that the soft drink companies were moaning about recycled plastic not being good enough for bottles because imperfections would mean it wouldn't be clear. Today I've got Ribena bottles made from 100% recycled plastic, and I can see right through them.

If the UK were to do this at scale, it would reduce the cost of doing it, and could even make it profitable. Set a minimum requirement for every plastic bottle for recycled plastic.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The head of one of the world's biggest oil companies has been named to lead the COP28 global climate talks in Dubai

But of course
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    The head of one of the world's biggest oil companies has been named to lead the COP28 global climate talks in Dubai

But of course

It's decisions like this that will make Extinction Rebellion successors even more determined.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I quite enjoy that German Mud Wizard has become a meme now -

3WhWOaO.png

The video is excellent
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Riot police never learned a thing from the battle at Agincourt
  • I think this is the full video -

• Anyone expect New Zealand to cop an extra tropical cyclone?

Looks absolutely devastating
  • "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • We have a good innings but I guess it's time for another organism to have a try.
    It's a pity we couldn't even last longer than the dinosaurs.
    You rang.....
  • Quite weird, the slow march to awfulness we can all see coming. No government wants to do anything remotely drastic enough because they're still having a party over the border so why shouldn't we?
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I blame the Greeks. Fucking terrible idea.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!