Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Can someone explain the graph in https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jun/15/record-temperatures-global-heating to me?

In particular, the "global average temperature" peaking mid-year. Isn't that an explicitly northern hemisphere thing? Isn't the average kinda flat the southern hemisphere also exists? Misleading title, or is it actually skewed cos there's more land / measurement places up top?
  • Probably the land surface area impact. Oceans hold more heat, but they are incredibly slow to raise temperature relative to land. Air temps at the ocean will probably vary more gradually too.

And yes, southern hemisphere has a greater proportion of oceans but the surface temperature sets could also include satellite and drifting buoy sensors as well. Ship based observations too.

The other big factor might be ENSO. El Nino and cold water upwelling off western South America is a variable influence but I think on average the equatorial ocean surface temps should be reaching maximum around July through September/October, so that probably means the global average maximum is not going to tend towards austral summer (Dec through Feb).

In short I reckon it's the landmasses fault.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Also, northern hemisphere records far cooler temps in boreal winter than the southern hemisphere because oceans cool down slower than land. So that probably also means the maximum is going to be incredibly unlikely to be in the southern summer.

Even factoring in Antarctica.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Makes sense - thanks!
  • acemuzzy wrote:

I think it means we're all fucked.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Makes sense - thanks!

• I hope Team Cherry get the game out before January.
  • I'm worried about what el nino will cause in Australia. Last time we had an average to hot summer, half the country seemed to burn. Some studies have linked the smoke to the subsequent triple-dip La Nina by way of a mechanism I can't recall right now.

Anyway with three very wet years behind us, the amount of fuel loads must have fire emergency services incredibly concerned for what a hot, dry summer might bring.
  • Yeah it's going to be a bit grim. And maybe worse the year after.
  • Phoenix, Arizona, sounds fucked by climate change. Well, pretty much the planet is fucked, I know.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jul/14/phoenix-heatwave-summer-extreme-weather-arizona
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I realise the northern hemisphere always has hot summers in places such as the Mediterranean countries, inland places like Mongolia, China's desert regions and the Middle East.

It really frightens me what it will be like in the southern summer for not only Australia burning like a cinder, but the SE Asian countries, India and it's neighbours, and pacific islands with potential for failed monsoons, and whatever new disasters await the Amazon, Antarctic ice shelves, and African nations relying on monsoons as well.

Maybe NZ will be ok.
  • The problem is, deep down, we kinda think we're indestuctable. We know the history of life on Earth but we don't think it can apply to us because we've invented smartphones (or digital watches as Douglas Adams put it).

We know it's happening but we pretend it'll be ok because we have to. People with kids should be shouting the loudest but we've got more to lose so we pretend harder. At the same time we've become spoiled and are not willing to make the sacrifice it'll take to sort it out. We can do it when the chips are down - just look at Ukraine, but we'd rather not. 

And to compound things further there's a sense of helplessness that any personal sacrifice is pointless because some other fucker will do it anyway, so we look towards politicians to make a stance they're never going to take because they wouldn't stay in power very long if they did, because deep down we're also selfish.

This can still be sorted, just about, but it won't be. Really, it's only just started to kick in and it's happening much faster than the models predicted. The scientists are as amazed as anyone but tbf they have been warning us for the better part of 50 years that we need to sort this shit out, and although they did say it's very hard to predict these things 5 degree bumps in record temps were never imagined. 

And the part of our brains we don't like to consult - the part that know it's happening, don't know how bad it is. But we'll know soon enough I guess.
  • It would be interesting to model the impact of banning unnecessary shit, the kind of stuff that you associate with overconsumption (plastic tat, designer goods, basically stuff that at best gives five minutes of fun to a child or an influencer).

Combine that with mandatory home insulation or design suited to the location, and enforceable efficiency standards for appliances.

I realise we are in the era of needing carbon negative en masse, but I wonder what the impact of waste is. That should be an easy thing to do immediately, in principle.
  • From a purely selfish stance I was hoping the boy would be ok, or at least a 30yr old man when it got really bad. Seems deluded these days.
  • I have a feeling we had already had this lined up for us by the 1970s
  • I think I'm going to join BHD and start believing in aliens and hope they can sort this out, although given their propensity for crashing maybe they're as dumb as us.
  • Vela wrote:
    I have a feeling we had already had this lined up for us by the 1970s

When we zombie march towards it for 50yrs then aye. Where in Aus do you live?
  • Tasmania. It's highly susceptible to bushfires, lots of old forests too that are starting to burn more frequently.
  • Ah. Yep that's pretty vulnerable. Fingers crossed for you this summer old bean. What's the house insurance like these days?
  • Does it even cover it?
  • Yeah, we are relatively close to a decent stand of eucalypts which happily burn themselves the fuckers (the seagulls of the tree world). We had to have our home built to a high BAL rating - bushfire attack level.

Insurance covers it.
    We had a close call several years ago in Western Australia with a grass and scrub fire that came within the back fence neighbours. Honestly I'm pretty zen over it - my reaction last time was so long as the family is safe I'm happy, and we have an easy route out and clear evacuation points nearby. We aren't in dense bush.

The main concern really is at the community level. Lots of people are at extreme risk elsewhere and so is a hell of a lot of really unique wildlife.
  • Also I read that Tasmania once had some regular trade with California in the 1800s and it might have been the reason eucalyptus trees are now an invasive species there.

In Tasmanias defence we have the single best scented wood on the planet: Huon pine
  • I've been to Tasmania to visit my Aunt. She lives in Hobart. It's proper gorgeous.
  • And bonus points for being the least racist bit I visited.
  • Holy fuck it is/has been/ can be racist or was not long ago. There are dreadful racist history and recent slanders against muwinina people.

But it has improved immeasurably since the 1990s.

Dare I ask for a surname of your aunt - we all know each other
    Spoiler:
  • I can't remember but she was Jane Hall until she got married. Had two sons, Stephen and Simon but Simon died a few years ago.
  • Her husband is called Jack, I think. Haven't seen her in 30yrs.
  • Hall is a common name here. Had a teacher by that name but obviously doesn't confirm anything. That said, my wife and I moved 3000km away and I worked with someone my wife went to school with.
  • Hope nobody has a holiday in The Med planned anytime soon.
  • Adriatic mid august?  Will it still be there?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!