Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Fair enough he didn't get the information he needed, but the commentator was abysmal. Is it Boardman sitting next to him correcting him all the time?

The guy doesn't even know the colours of the teams, and what the fuck was he on about at the end with the 'sprint for fourth' when about ten riders had already crossed the line?
  • The disappointment that the breakaway let that doper scumbag and Uran go with such a short distance left was handily overshadowed by Kristoff dominating the sprint for the bronze. The way the race developed, and with Hagen stuck in the peloton, a medal for a complete outsider was more than we could have hoped for. Not gonna lie, there were loud exclamations of joy in this living room.

It'll be interesting to hear the British and German explanations for how they let the control slip away from them like that - insofar as you can have control over a mass start with so much at stake.

EDIT: Also, it was a great visual spectacle, heartening to see the massive turnout.
  • g.man wrote:
    I thoroughly enjoyed it.

:P

g.man

Grrrr...

• @Sparky; The commentator was Hugh Porter, four times world individual pursuit champ. Met him a few times and he seems a thoroughly nice chap.

He does seem to come across as the Murray Walker of cycling though, hugely enthusiastic and Knowledgeable, just prone to mistakes. Lots of 'em. Today wasn't his best work by a long shot.
  • Really disappointed in the lack of effort from the Germans and Americans, amongst others.

Shame to see Fab crash out too. Also a shame I'll miss the TT because of work. I might have to get creative with arranging meetings.

In happier news - insurance came through and I've finally ordered my new bike.

c_12_2ras5c_raw.png
  • Anyone looking to get a bike, now's a great time, as the 2012 bikes are being flogged off to make way for the 2013 models.
  • were the british team basically gang raped by the rest of the field here?  although team GB seem to have been quite 'honourable' about it, it seemed to me the rest of the pelaton simply decided they would rather stay where they were than do anything to help move the pelaton forward (and therefore team GB)?
    the commentators kept saying team GB were 'controlling' the pack, but it looked more like they were dragging them along!
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Yeah, the attitude of the majority of the peleton seemed to be to stay behind Team GB, let them do all the work, and if they got a sprint finish out of it all well and good, if not, sod it and cruis e home for a 50th place finish.

Not entirely sure why 100 of the field actually bothered turning up.
  • adored wrote:
    Yeah, the attitude of the majority of the peleton seemed to be to stay behind Team GB, let them do all the work, and if they got a sprint finish out of it all well and good, if not, sod it and cruis e home for a 50th place finish. Not entirely sure why 100 of the field actually bothered turning up.

That's how cycling works, most of the time. It makes for some boring races, but with all the action and attacking that was going on pretty much every lap up Box Hill, and the fact that a breakaway managed to last all the way in (in an Olympic mass start, no less) it's hard to see this as one of the boring ones. Massively frustrating, if you were rooting for Cavendish, but definitely not boring.
  • Of course a breakaway lasted. It would have been a surprise if a breakaway didn't last. That route and only 5 man teams. Plus the particular breakaway had a member of the USA and Aussie teams, giving them an excuse not to ride for Farrar and Goss. Don't know what the Germans were doing, never seen a more half assed contribution in my life. Most of the other teams had no reason to help on the front because they either had a man in the breakaway or they were too weak in team numbers for helping to do any good. Sagan for example was the only rider from his nation, if he'd have pulled at the front to bring it back for the sprint he'd have had nothing left for the sprint.

GT: Knight640
  • Splitting hairs: As far as I could tell from the build-up to the race, no one thought this was going to be anything other than a cakewalk for Team GB and Cav - so in that context it was a bit of a surprise to see a breakaway last.

In other news, I might have watched too much cycling in the last year. I just saw the headline "Tony Martin dies" and my first thought was of this guy.
  • Yeah the mainstream media thought it'd be a cakewalk for Cav. But people a little bit more in the know thought it'd be very tough.
  • I GOT MY NEW BIKE AND IT'S LUSH.

Can't wait to go out on my first serious ride. Just took it for a quick burn and christ it's fast. I reckon I can knock about 5 minutes off my half-hour commute. I guess we'll see tomorrow.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Aaaah, advice and recommendations please, work cycle scheme, found out today, tomorrow is the deadline. The only online shop is this one http://www.thebikeshopderby.co.uk/ I'd like something I can take anywhere, don't wanna spend an absolute fuckton
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Sounds like you want a hybrid. Giant Roam One isunder 600.
  • What you going to be doing with it? Commuting? Any serious off road ? Like rocks etc.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Light enough to ride to work, will spend weekends going up and down the peak district, a little proper rocky stuff, nothing major though, are Giant any good then
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yes, really well made bikes. You might want to look at the more MTB end of the hybrid range.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Tiny, under 5 miles
  • Roam one seems like a decent choice.
  • Workid, sorry I didn't see your post on the previous page. Budget is flexible, but it is a beginner's road bike so ideally I'd like to keep the cost below £600.00, unless of course, that's unrealistic.
  • It's perfectly do-able. Specialized Allez or secteur would be a very good choice. Some good Cannondales around that price too.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Turns out I didn't need the bloody quote from the shop, So I'm getting a £600 voucher and will spend on what I want, that Roam does look nice, but I'm a fool and could also easily see me just spanking it on a decent BMX
  • @ Skondo - plenty of good stuff out there for £600 or so.

Despite having a mixed reputation for service the Boardman bikes at Halfords are usually very good. The Boardman Race Bike is £670 and will see you through many a mile (only minor niggle is the Shimano Sora groupset which is really entry level)

I bought a Ribble Andlux Winter traininer and it's really really good. It's a little over the £600 budget again though.

As Workid says though I'd probably go for the Specialized Allez.
  • Cheers WorKid and Suhawk. I will start researching.
  • If anyone wants to watch a really exciting grand tour, check out the vuelta highlights on ITV at 7pm daily. Yesterday's final 5k were fantastic and today's should be great again. Love him or loathe him, Contador livens up a mountain top finish no end. All the teams look pretty weak too, which always makes for more exciting racing.
  • I totalled my race bike on saturday :(

In discusson with the insurance now to see what I can get back.Thinking about a TT bike this time to go with my Ribble winter bike. I can ride sportives/ train on the Ribble and keep the TT bike for racing.

Planet X look favorites - ya or nah anyone?
  • What happened?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!