Monster Hunter
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Whoa I'm on 4 star Village. Is the big boy up next? Better get STRONK ON DANGO

Have fun with him.
  • More good hunts today with Shabby, Nina and Tempy. Got my urgent for 7* pop and sold off all the weapon types I don’t need, leaving me with only *checks notes* 48 weapons.
  • Time for my usual moan about every Monster Hunter.

Gimmicky windy pops can go and do one.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Does everyone else clear all * quests before moving up? I just want to see thr armour / weapons
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Does everyone else clear all * quests before moving up? I just want to see thr armour / weapons

I’ve been doing most, though not every single one yet. That’s more to do with doing a lot of MP and generally enjoying it when people pop their own quests up / do urgent when they trigger.
  • Small thing I've really appreciated this go is being able to stat up the armour I'm already wearing (a bit) so I can retain my incredibly specific skills setup for longer without needing a complicated re-spec.
  • It helps that Wide GL is really easy to define the spec for in the first place - max Evade Extend and Window, max Artillery, Capacity up, and any slot left gets a Guard and/or anti-whatever debuff the mon I'm about to hun can inflict.
    None of that elemental or weakness exploit noise, just shoot the cunt in the knees.
  • I'm finding myself glazing over already with this game. It's getting repetitive a lot quicker than World did.
  • 4 attempts to get past wind dragon. Major lesson in frustration - climb up, get knocked down, place weapon, get knocked down, finally get on weapon, get hit, weapon destroyed. Die. Rejoin arena straight into another wind blast - repeat.

Seems designed more for multi player.
  • HR8 urgent unlocked, i’ll beat that and then it’s review time baby
  • Tried this docked for the first time this morning, framerate is ropey
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Frame rate has been fairly solid for me docked and undocked, only gets a little bad during colossal brawls. Even Rampage with its multiple mons manages fine.
  • Yeah frame rate is fine for me. Found the resolution a little muddy in handheld but that could be my imagination. It’s certainly not handheld mode Xenoblade Chronicles 2 levels of muddy.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah, I've not had any frame drops, feels like a solid 30. It definitely is a bit lesser in handheld which is my main place to play, but aye, it's not XC2.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I miss XC2.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I miss XC2.

Same.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    How can it look worse in HH? Surely it should look better if anything due to higher pixel density?
  • Handheld games often drop the onscreen resolution, no?

XC2 runs at 720p or thereabouts when docked, but it goes way down in handheld. As in, sub-500p and even sub-400.
  • Spider chops next.
  • Last quest done: a really good elder dragon this one.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Handheld games often drop the onscreen resolution, no? XC2 runs at 720p or thereabouts when docked, but it goes way down in handheld. As in, sub-500p and even sub-400.

Right, I dunno why but I had it in my head it was the opposite.
  • Spider chops chopped. Fun fight.
    HR7
  • Spider?!

NOPE
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I have now hunted every monster in the game. Roll on the end of April!
  • HR7 quests finally have monsters that hurt and would be reasonably challenging without Rise's mobility.

Rajang was fun but Tigrex's deceptive homing charge was getting a bit tedious after it had done it 85 times in a row. Diablos definitely has weird hit boxes and that hip check is mean. I fell all the way to the bottom twice fighting Diablos so just quit the quest. That's enough for today.

3 more to do and then it's the final boss. 2 days left to do them. The it will be June when the Switch is back in the house to sample the dlc.
  • there's bits to nit pick with this game but overall it's fucking great
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Just final boss to go - when I get the Switch back tomorrow.
  • (current) Final boss down. The usual turgid large monster affair.

Dear Capcom, some people like these large monsters, most hate them. Please stop - they are really boring (and frustrating for solo'ers in this game).

Overall, this is very, very good and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Rubbish monsters are muddy (a real monster) and the two large turgid things (gimmick monsters). Rampage is a gimmick as well - thankfully there aren't many mandatory ones. Imagine it would be good in multiplayer though.

The level of movement is unparalleled and evade distance is fantastic for getting out of the way, let alone the wirebugs for the ultimate in teleporting to a safe place. The new monsters are great and the returning ones are similar enough to the old versions but with some extra moves thrown in. Nothing is hard though and there is no fear with these monsters - mostly because of hunter agility.

I really liked the music in the levels but really didn't like the village or hub themes. MH normally has really good hub music. The kids were weird and the village quest girl staring at you was really strange. I assume some sort of sex doll fetish thing....

The dlc will be out next time I get hold of the switch so I'll be back to see what they've changed. I'll also be interested to see the PC version as the 60fps will really help add some solidity to the monsters with the extra frames of animation.
  • I really enjoyed Narwa, due to it having actual mechanics that rewarded good use of the wirebug to get onto the islands it spawned with its big attacks. More so than most prior elder dragons it felt like an event that had mechanics, rather than a slug fest against a HP sink. Plus you got to gatling gun its head every so often.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!