Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Maybe it's not even real, just a figment of our imaginations. Maybe this isn't real. Maybe we're all sitting in pods somewhere in the future being farmed for our memories. Eh? Yeah, maybe...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    The Queen of the Skies.
    The poison Monarch.

The Spruce Goose
  • Managed to get the credits, didn't take all that long. The only complaint I really have is that everything feels a lot easier than usual, it's a step down even from world. That said, part of that is my own familiarity with the series baking in over the years. All the gunlance stuff is second nature to me now, and the wirebug stuff they've added only makes it more powerful. I fainted... once prior to Magnamalo, but I guess that's low rank for ya. I look forward to digging into HR, and seeing what stuff they add.

The new roster this time around really is the best the series has had, only 4U I think comes close to the charm and variety of the monsters. Magnamalo is pretty cool, though he's a damn sight meaner than everything that comes before him, so it caught me off guard. The aesthetic and the general Japan-centric feel of the game makes it feel fresh after a few years of it circling loosely around different cultural touchstones. It's always relied on that stuff, but this time we have a bird that looks like a cursed umbrella spirit, and a yokozuna turtle. Couple that with the noh theatre style intros and it's a big delicious ball of personality.

Gone have a big marathon session tomorrow, see how far I can get through the 5 and 6* village stuff.
  • If World hadn't happened in between, this would feel like such a leap forward after Gen. I didn't spend long with World so I'm loving this so far. It ticks all the QoL boxes that I wanted following Gen etc. No Hot/Cold drinks needed! No micro-managing inventory stuff!

Only on 3* at the mo, but enjoying just dipping in for 30-40 mins here and there.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • The village is the easiest Monster Hunter to date - by quite a distance. Monsters don't hit very hard and the wire bugs are a get out of jail free card if used correctly. Hunter mobility is massively increased.

Hub is meant to be tougher but I've not tackled that yet - apart from the first licence test in the village (good idea that).

I'm in v6* and still with my rare 2 weapon and 44 defence. I don't think I'll need to upgrade either as I only have 2 or 3 fights left.

So far I like most of the fights apart from Almudron, and Rathalos is back to being really annoying. I'm not 100% sure about Diablos' hip check either. I haven't fought everything yet though.
  • I really wish there wasn't so much superfluous crap to collect and sift through in these games. It's just bloat for the sake of it. All the extra buddy stuff feels pretty pointless to me so far. Haven't needed any of it, not even once.

There are several things that are grinding my gears every time I switch this on, besides the audio glitches. Is there a way to sort all the shit I can sell from other stuff?? I'm sure you could do that in World. My box is fucking rammed after only a few hours. The radial menu shortcuts are baffling me too - despite assigning all my traps and tranqs to shortcut menu 2, I'm unable to use them during a fight. They're crossed out with a red X. Why is this? Or is it another glitch???

I like the game, but christ there's just a fucking overload of guff that really isn't needed and adds very little. Having to eat a fucking meal before each fight just grates like fuck really fast. Identical animation that needs to be skipped every single time. Sending your buddies off to scout for mats and hiring them and scouting them and sending mercenaries off is all just needless bollocks. I'm not sure it's actually worth bothering with any of that. Give me a lite version with just the weapon and armour upgrading any day of the week.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    You will need it later, if you choose to fuck around with classes. That's all I can really add.
  • My rule of thumb is to set a minimum limit on items, in case I want to respec. For Ores it's like... 50 or 6, for LR it's 25-50, slightly less for highrank. Auto sorting with Minus, when you're on the box sorts stuff out so all your important items are on Page one. I think the box is still ten pages like before, there's no real reason to keep it clean. If you use item sets when you're filling your gear before a hunt.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Everyone is saying the credits rolling means you beat the tutorial, so i wouldn't be too quick to judge.

Low Rank don't mean dick, you must know that by now.
  • Aye, I've played plenty of MH, I know the deal. It's just the easiest Low Rank in the series to date.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Chalice, are you making sure you're taking all the items in your shortcuts with you in the item pouch before a hunt? Could be why they have a red cross. Check if they're there by checking your items pouch, or scrolling through your items the old school way (L + y or a).

If you have too many items, you're not making enough things! It's very important to make loads of things you're never gonna use.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Nina wrote:
    If you have too many items, you're not making enough things! It's very important to make loads of things you're never gonna use.

True this. Full sets of armour I'm never going to wear just because I happened to have the materials is my specialty.

I'm digging MHR so far. A nice blend of old- and World-style MH. The only bugbear is the easiness. You can even sharpen your weapon on the move if you're riding your Palamute. When does a quality of life improvement take away from the experience? I appreciate not flexing my muscles every time I use a health item, but does being able to harvest mushrooms whilst sprinting not make things a tad too simple?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Nina wrote:

True this. Full sets of armour I'm never going to wear just because I happened to have the materials is my specialty.

I'm digging MHR so far. A nice blend of old- and World-style MH. The only bugbear is the easiness. You can even sharpen your weapon on the move if you're riding your Palamute. When does a quality of life improvement take away from the experience? I appreciate not flexing my muscles every time I use a health item, but does being able to harvest mushrooms whilst sprinting not make things a tad too simple?

They introduced harvesting on the move in World but yeah, it’s a step further here. Stuff like harvesting all ore with one stroke of the pickaxe I don’t mind either way - I’m fine with one hit, fine with three. Also don’t wanna go back to breakable pickaxes, nets etc, that can all stay.

But stuff like hot / cold drinks or armour sets with environmental protections being gone I’m not so keen on. Yes it’s more faff, but at least it forces you to prep a little before a fight. Now I can take pretty much identical load outs every time because it’s all been streamlined.

Monster tracking now completely gone too and once you’ve fought an enemy all weaknesses are given to you. It’s just a bit too streamlined for me, even though I know these changes will be welcomed by most, and that’s fine - different strokes and all, I’m still really enjoying this and had some more great lunchtime hunts with Nina today so the bread and butter (hit monsters with things, alone or with friends) is still solid. Better than it’s ever been, truly.

I just hope World 2, or whatever it is called, doubles down on some of the strengths of World - environments that feel like animals live in them, and interactions between flora and fauna. Gorgeous environments filled with secrets where you have to consider traversal. Environmental hazards that can screw you up, or be used to your advantage. That kinda thing. Until then, though, Rise will most likely prove a very enjoyable instalment, regardless of whether it’s a little over simplified and flashy or not.
  • Also realise a lot of my posts in here re. Rise are a bit nitpicky. It’s just one of those games, for me, where I end up talking more about the flaws, which might kinda end up obscuring the fact that 99% is really, really good.

Great movement, wirebug movesets are super fun, monster lineup quite possibly the best ever (at launch), smooth online (!) etc. That’s all great.
  • The limit on wirebugs for traversal can be annoying. Out of combat they should just let you wirebug all you want.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    The radial menu shortcuts are baffling me too - despite assigning all my traps and tranqs to shortcut menu 2, I'm unable to use them during a fight.

You sure you're not using the Village loadout? There are Village/Quest radial loadouts.
  • I feel pretty stupid honestly but at the same time why on earth would you need all those shortcuts for the village??? WTF were they thinking?? Thanks Haak. I thought it was for SP and MP. Another bonkers idea that could've been better thought out...
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    No worries dude, there are loads of things like this in Mohun - typical Japanese contrary design.
  • In the Hub no less!
  • Gunlance boost combined with wirebug reconvert is some amazing stuff. Get knocked away, recover, boost back and smack the monster in the head, land and do a full burst. Beautiful, beautiful.
  • All village stuff done, apart from finding all sub camps.

Rampage quest to unlock HR next up.
  • That's me and Cinty and Nina in High Rank. Have swapped to the Great Sword for tail choppin' times. Love all the new movement stuff the wirebugs have unlocked, though for GS and GL, I've found that the second set of wirebug skills is far better than the first!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    :,(
  • The health pool of HR is too high. Khezu has 4 times the health of the village version (increases due to Hub and HR). I do more damage now than village but it's a bit tedious fighting slightly modified, tankier versions all over again.
  • Some more good hunts with Nina earlier - as well as Nina and Tempy last night. Loving this.
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    The health pool of HR is too high. Khezu has 4 times the health of the village version (increases due to Hub and HR). I do more damage now than village but it's a bit tedious fighting slightly modified, tankier versions all over again.

Yeah, some of the HR monsters are very spongey, but I wasn’t sure whether to put that down to health pools or the fact I still hadn’t properly upgraded from some LR stuff (you’ll pry that LR Nargacuga LBG from my cold, dead hands...or when I finally unlock the HR version).
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    :,(

:(

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!