The British Politics Thread
  • davyK wrote:
    Wifey had a mini breakdown today in the car. The impact of her mother's death in May 2020 hit her - seems to have been triggered by these last few weeks disclosures.

It's probably a safe bet that there will be thousands of others being affected in the same way.

He and his cohorts have to go.

Meanwhile over here the DUP in a pathetic and obvious populist move of proposing getting rid of COVID passports in NI - as if that will smooth things over for the election in May. Fuck them.

Sorry to hear that davy.

I think you are right, this will be opening many old wounds.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    She's OK at the minute but she is very brittle.

It wasn't a COVID related death. The old dear was worn out. But no-one could visit for the last 5 weeks of her life. No proper send off etc. Wifey was pretty stoic at the time as is her form. So a show of emotion was overdue. Nevertheless, it has made things a great deal worse.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    There’s a huge number of people who thought lockdown was stupid and threw their own parties, enjoyed BBQs with friends, and generally ignored the rules. Those people are going to be fine with Government parties at Number 10. Makes the Tories look ‘relatable’.

Yep. A lot of the toxic masculinity the Tories have used to advantage in recent years won't vanish overnight. Shagger Boris rides again.

Yossarian wrote:
    Plus the fact that he’s getting the piss ripped out of him by Ant and Dec and football pundits is evidence of how deeply this story has resonated with the public.

With some people. And ladsladslads with others, taken as approving bants about how anti-estab he is.

He will lose some amount of blue rinse and gammon, but how many of those are likely to vote Dems over Labour? I'd guess well over half. Younger disgruntleds are staring down the barrel of Keith's hoover, trying to make his case he's not too far left for the fleeing right, nor too right for the abandoned left.

Stomper. Stonger. Resect.
  • You need them to vote Lib Dem. As an aside can we not call them Dems, it's too confusing with the Yanks.

Them just not turning out will also help Labour.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I just like Dems because it flows better in writing, but I can use Lib Dems/LDs.

If I were an opposing MP I wouldn't give Johnson too much of a hard time at the minute. I think those who see this as a golden opportunity for digs are very naive, for he's many, many supporters left, to whom his little garden do was in the wrong, sure, but for trying to capitalise on it they'll see these MPs as a massive shower.

Corbyn (apols for the reheat) did best when he talked about Labour's positive ideas, especially at rallies, and lost potential votes when he did his pious bits attacking the Tories and Johnson directly. To beat Johnson you have to outshine him during an election campaign.

Re: our poorest voters that's not easy, but the longer the Tories stay in power the more of us lose wealth, and eventually a leftwing party'll be placed to win a majority. Whether we get one's another thing.

One of the few positives of Brexit was the mass announcement of lower-class dissatisfaction, but alas Labour's now seen as a remainer party under Starmer. We need those people back on side, somehow dodging their bigotry and xenophobia in proposing them a better deal.

A charismatic lefty to lead, but I don't know of any. Corbs was pretty cool for an allotment man. Pidcock's maybe the closest, but she lost her seat and I wouldn't trust her to avoid selling out. Wouldn't stop me voting for her, because her sellout version's probably still a huge improvement.

I wouldn't vote for Moran, but how do the Lib Dems not realise she's their current star?! Full liberal morans. She'd take more votes from Starmer than Davey, and if she routinely showed herself to his left in doing so, I wouldn't mind seeing that. Kennedy II.
  • There's definitely an element in this kind of right-wing populism that the not playing be the rules attitude is part of the appeal. It's the anti-establishment, just one of us thing they try to convey.

In this case though it's complicated by the reality that people went through with Covid and lockdown so recently, and the fact that so many people know someone who died. It's cutting through to an extent because of that.

Whether that means anything in an election a couple of years away is another thing, of course. Will the right-wing media be going for Johnson or his replacement then, or giving them an easy ride? They could have gone after him for so many other things before this (Covid contracts, for example), but they aren't interested in tarnishing the party on its actual policy or general practices.

There is outrage, then, but we're also still just playing the game with this stuff.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hard to position it as anti-establishment when the establishment is the sole thing keeping him in a job
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    More populist throwaways - announcement of the ceasing of the TV licence.

What will these cunts not throw under the bus to distract. I know I'm in the minority in believing in the licence as the BBC website and radio content are unsung heroes of its beneficiaries.

I mean if it changes to voluntary sub then that's fine as long as there is no barging in by advertisers, or no ads for subbers.  But I can see radio taking a nosedive unless it is factored in. The market for podcasts is healthy after all so there can be a sub model for it without tedious sponsors butting in.

But we all know this crew will make a pig's arse of it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The BBC and the NHS used to be about the only two substantial British things to be genuinely proud of and grateful for. This government has killed them both. Fuck them forever - on top of brexit, unbelievable levels of generational damage.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The family jewels and silver are on the market. And the shysters and wolves are massing. Fuck them. Fuck them. Fuck them all and the horses they rode in on.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Probably a behind the scenes deal with the BBC's rivals, to get him cut some slack. Interesting to see if coverage eases. Probably all part of Operation Big Dog.
  • While I'll recognise the blatant timing and motivation the BBC does need a kick up the arse or there simply won't be enough people left paying the license.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I agree. But I don't trust this parcel of cunts to do anything.

sponsors and ads = faceless cunts with money setting the content and agenda.

FUCK. OFF.
  • Ads will kill it. Subscription services usually don't make money and are subsidised by the megacorps. But it does need a shake up about what it does, who for, what its programmes look like, how they're available, the level of acceptable quality of its output, the whole works.
  • RTE in Ireland is funded both by a licence fee and advertising and as far as I know is fine.
  • The competition for the BBC over the next 10 years is Netflix etc. So putting ads into the mix at this point, dunno, can’t see how that works.
  • My immediate suggestion would be to put a sub on iPlayer and BBC Sounds for people who don't have a standard TV license.
    All4 has a £4 per month sub that removes adverts, that would be about the price point I would look at.

It wont solve everything but it would be an immediate revenue driver.
  • Cbeebies, nature and selected bits of their current affairs are probably the only things I've seen recently that are any good. Maybe the odd comedy creeps through. The quality of the writing on their prestige dramas is usually laughably shit and ludicrous. That's the bit that really stands out for me on international comparisons. The low budgets and the rest are excusable. But the writing is unforgivably bad.
  • Surely the 'oldies' that we associate with the tories wouldn't want this to happen to BBC? The strictly watchers, radio 2 listeners. Watching Pointless, and Casualty, Michael Portilio pissing about on trains.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Apart from the more immediate cut to their funding (which is presumably punishment for not actively killing bad news for Government), it's just noise. The charter doesn't get renewed until 2027. If Johnson is still around by then, this country will have bigger problems than this.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    Surely the 'oldies' that we associate with the tories wouldn't want this to happen to BBC? The strictly watchers, radio 2 listeners. Watching Pointless, and Casualty, Michael Portilio pissing about on trains.

Oi!!!!!
  • davyK wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    Surely the 'oldies' that we associate with the tories wouldn't want this to happen to BBC? The strictly watchers, radio 2 listeners. Watching Pointless, and Casualty, Michael Portilio pissing about on trains.

Oi!!!!!

Hahaha. Core demographic Davy ;)
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Frosty wrote:
    RTE in Ireland is funded both by a licence fee and advertising and as far as I know is fine.

I like you Frosty I do but are you comparing the output and archive of the BBC with that of RTE and coming to the conclusion that they are actually comparable
  • I mean if “fine” means “financially sound” then sure sorry
  • I meant fine as in not editorially bankrupt just because it has advertising which seemed to be the suggestion*. I've only lived here 4 years now but I dunno, they seem comparable to me. Both are publicly funded national broadcasters who fill a similar role in society (as far as I can tell) even if the scale and historical output is different.

*I imagine a lot of people would argue that the BBC does just fine in this regard already though.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    The BBC and the NHS used to be about the only two substantial British things to be genuinely proud of and grateful for. This government has killed them both. Fuck them forever - on top of brexit, unbelievable levels of generational damage.

The bbc's left wing creep is problematic, yes.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You misspelled “right wing”.
  • It has the worst and best of both elements. But its pretty telling that it tolerated, condoned and covered up for Johnson in a way it never did or would have for Corbyn,
  • But the scale man. The scale! Someone quickly pull us up an infographic of the output of the BBC. Dramas. Soaps. Comedy. Radio for everyone. Podcasts for everything. World service in multiple languages. Local services. Sports. News and current affairs. Arts and culture. Documentaries on everything. Music. Web content. IPlayer.

There are many many things wrong and many many others that could be improved about the BBC. Most of these would be common to any large corp with 22k employees - fiefdoms, different directions, bad projects, wasted money.Large offices in London = too much focus there (although Salford and other regional bases trying to improve that).

But there really is something for everyone on the BBC, still, after all this time and the only way you can achieve content to cover lots and lots and lots of tiny %s of populations is guaranteed income.
  • I do think left wing creep needs to be qualified and explained and defined here. It means nothing in isolation. What do you mean?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!