The British Politics Thread
  • Labours reaction to a resounding defeat will be to declare they weren't right wing enough.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    More than likely, it’s been their reaction to every other defeat in recent memory.
  • Seems as though Pincher has been Pinching for over a decade.
    Oh dear oh dear.

Oh and apparently Johnson may have known and Pincher's appointment as Deputy Chief Whip caused another Senior Whip to resign.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Unclear if this means he gives no fucks, or Pincher has dirt on him, or others leant on him, or some combination. But pathetic regardless.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Suggestions Rothmere, and hence Dacre, have decided to turn on Johnson. Somewhat borne out by today's front page. End of days for our glorious PM of so, given the power of our glorious press.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Today's Observer makes for thoroughly depressing reading. Stuart Lee's column in particular. Then there is the omnishambles of the conditions of the Palace of Westminster - featuring some alarming photographs of the communications infrastructure, not unlike the pics I was given of Belfast City Hall's used to look like before it got an infrastructure renovation several years ago.

And thanks to Private Eye - who actually said Johnson was getting a blowjob from his mistress (now wife) when Foreign Secretary , in the Houses of Parliament ,at the time he was trying to get her a £100,000 per year job.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Newsreaders' dry delivery of “Mr Pincher” amuses me.

I suppose a return to the Carry On years is a part of making Britain great again.
  • If you want a political party as left wing as you’d like, you’re going to have to start a sufficiently left wing political party. You’re not going to shift Labour to the left by not voting for them, and you’re definitely not going to shift Labour to the left by interminably writing barely coherent posts about how insufficiently left wing they are for your liking.

Think this is but much. Escape's post here was very coherent and his ideology clear - and that particular post was an obvious olive branch (if it were even necessary) to those who accuse him of holding ideology above utilitarianism. Add to the conversation or don’t but at the very least aim for better than pointless and insulting
  • davyK wrote:
    And thanks to Private Eye - who actually said Johnson was getting a blowjob from his mistress (now wife) when Foreign Secretary , in the Houses of Parliament ,at the time he was trying to get her a £100,000 per year job.

Y’know, in most jobs getting caught shagging your side piece in the office, during working hours, would be enough to get you fired.
  • There weren't previous allegations when Pincher was appointed.
    The PM didnt know of any previous allegations when Pincher was appointed.
    The PM knew about previous allegations when Pincher was appointed but there were no formal complaints.
    The PM knew about previous allegations when Pincher was appointed but they had as far as the PM knew been resolved.

Where have we seen this pattern before?
  • Labour rule out a return to the Single Market or Customs Union. Somehow, this is part of their plan to improve Brexit.

They don't have a fucking clue do they?
  • My view is that undoing Brexit is going to take a long, long time and will require very small steps.
    Pushing for rejoining the Single Market now is too soon. It will just kick off division again which only benefits Johnson.

We need sensible, boring foreign policy first. Not Daily Mail headline fuel.
  • What are the better suggestions for solving the NI issue?
  • The Irish Sea border is the best we have for now. Its not better than those solutions but its the best that is likely to happen this decade.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Labour would be slaughtered by the right wing press if they suggested rejoining the SM or CU, the likes of Murdoch and Dacre would have an absolute field day. It would also open up the next election to being fought over Brexit, again, which is likely to be much stronger ground for Johnson than Starmer.

As much as I like the idea of Labour campaigning on rejoining as much of the EU as is feasible, I do think that doing so would likely cost them at the next election.
  • For once I agree here. Electorally, saying "single market or customs union" right now is at the very best a can of worms, and at worst electoral suicide.

Rejoining anything EU, from where I'm looking at this country, is going to need generational time: a lot of positive effort to make the positive persuasive case, a lot of Brexit harm, a change in attitude in a lot of people (or simply, a bunch of old bastards dying and the younger bastards being persuaded not to automatically take their place).

They may or may not have a clue (ie: they may or may not know that rejoining at least the CU is the best move), but that doesn't stop this policy announcement being sensible.
  • Someone needs to do something about that right wing press I think.
  • So we're saying we're going to wait a generation for Stormont to restart then? Or are we expecting reunification to solve that problem for us?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don’t think that the choice in front of us is Labour choosing to rejoin the SM & CU or not, I think either way we won’t be rejoining any time soon, we just have to decide if we want Labour or the Conservatives trying to resolve these issues from outside the SM/CU.
  • Stormont not sitting is a political decision by the DUP, who I might have some more sympathy for if they didnt court this Brexit shite when it suited them.
  • Who knows maybe Johnson will end up writing history as the man who could finally unite the people of Northern Ireland as even the most hardened loyalists realise being linked to England is shit and the DUP are a bunch of backward morons who dont warrant anyone's vote.
  • It is, but the Irish Sea border is also a political decision by the Tories.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    So we're saying we're going to wait a generation for Stormont to restart then? Or are we expecting reunification to solve that problem for us?

It's a fucking mess and the conservatives trying to please the DUP for reasons I can't fathom isn't helping. At all.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The fact that NI seems to be doing relatively better than anywhere else in the UK is a difficulty that Brexiteers have to face down. But that's admitting that Brexit is a fuck up.

So lets bang drums about borders, protocol issues etc.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    RE NI/RoI - we need to have a grown up conversation about what unification would look like - economically and culturally - and what governance would look like.

Only then can a border poll (being talked about today in the news) be meaningful. The last thing we need is a nasty campaign with politicians preaching to emotional responses.
  • davyK wrote:
    So we're saying we're going to wait a generation for Stormont to restart then? Or are we expecting reunification to solve that problem for us?

It's a fucking mess and the conservatives trying to please the DUP for reasons I can't fathom isn't helping. At all.
    The DUP were the difference between them being in and out of power not too long ago.
  • Is there not an argument that by not being the opposition to the brexit approach, Labour risks political suicide anyway? 

Either they are for it or they are not - its been 6 years since that fucking vote and things dont look to be getting much better. There are numerous records of business losing out because of it. Its no longer "This might happen" its now "this has happened" in terms of brexit flaws. 

Lots of speculation from Irish commentators that Boris wants to fight the next election again over Brexit. He can get it done, he is 100% for it etc. I get that Labour dont want to get caught up in it again but I reckon its going to be thrown at them anyway and they might as well have some control on how they are represented in all this.

Unless they really are against rejoining the single market in which case, carry on.
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK wrote:
    The fact that NI seems to be doing relatively better than anywhere else in the UK is a difficulty that Brexiteers have to face down. But that's admitting that Brexit is a fuck up. So lets bang drums about borders, protocol issues etc.
    This is what it is all about, Johnson gives no shits about the DUP. I would say he might be hoping they would give him the confidence backing like they did May in the event of a GE not returning a Tory majority but the idea of Johnson not winning at least the same amount of seats as 2019 won't have crossed his mind.

Nope this is just sabotage of NI to drag them back down to our level. Of course if that happens the UK GDP will be even worse but who cares about that.
  • davyK wrote:
    RE NI/RoI - we need to have a grown up conversation about what unification would look like - economically and culturally - and what governance would look like. Only then can a border poll (being talked about today in the news) be meaningful. The last thing we need is a nasty campaign with politicians preaching to emotional responses.

Agreed but I dont think either side is actually ready for this. I think many on the Unionist side will see it as defeat and far too many on the nationalist side will see it as victory. It can only work if this is sold as best for EVERYONE on the Island and no one side is taking over (Im still amazed that so many irish view it as simple as taking back 6 counties and that will be that)
    SFV - reddave360
  • While there’s good reasons for Labour saying no customs Union, no single market, it’s ultimately driven by fear. And will limit how much growth they can get out of the economy. Shooting themselves in the foot before they even start.
    Think the customs Union can easily be added as a pledge without too much blowback. It’s not the single market so you don’t have to worry about immigration being an issue. No one voted for departing the CU in the referendum, it was done, and can therefore be undone, in a general election.
    Also helps NI and other EU border issues and trade. Good for business etc. And leaving it has been a disaster so if the Tories want to debate that, good luck. It was done primarily to facilitate these mythical trade deals that haven’t shown up.

The only thing it does do is give the Tories (both parliamentary and tabloid) the opening to make everything about Brexit again. But they’ll do that anyway.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!