Plastic Instruments
  • Picked up Guitar Hero Live at the weekend as it was half price.  (Having got rid of all my Rockband stuff a while back...)  

I like the new button set up, as it makes it feel like something at least vaguely new - I can imagine it being infuriating to anyone who's hard wired the old set-up into their subconscious mind you.  It also gives me the same horrific cramp in my hand that playing an actual guitar used to induce.

As for the guitar...  I don't remember the old Guitar Hero controllers being quite so hilariously tiny, but perhaps that's just nostalgia.  It's annoyingly noisy and clicky, but that's not really anything new.  Having a button for Hero mode is welcome if barely used.  Meanwhile the bluetooth dongle seems a bit underpowered as we were losing connection if I stood at the far end of the lounge.

The game itself is...  I haven't decided, but it's been fun so far.  it's two games really isn't it?  The live section is great at its best, and stupid at its worst.  It seems initially immersive, but is hampered partly by playing with lots of different bands - making you some weird festival session man; but mainly by the completely artificial behaviour of the crowd.  (A sign can change from "You rock" to "you suck" in a single camera pan.)  At its best though it's great - standing back to back with my daughter as I noodled on the guitar, she sang, and the crowd went nuts was great fun.  (I don't understand why singing isn't allowed during the main "Live" campaign though...)

I was slightly wary of GHTV at first, but again, I'm finding I quite like it.  Most of the songs on Guitar Hero aren't massively to my taste, but the constantly changing roster mitigates against that to some degree, and I like not knowing what's going to be thrown at me next.  (I've already accumulated a fair number of play tokens should I want a specific track, but haven't felt particularly inclined to cash them in yet.)

So, yeah, maybe not a classic, and I think I might have been slightly let down had I paid full price, but it is at least, a new(ish) experience, and proving pretty entertaining so far.
  • Flatmate bought NuRock Band cos it was cheap or something I dunno.

It's fun as always (where is my keyboard tho) but, and it's a big BUT, those freestyle solos can be a barrel of hot piss. They suit certain songs perfectly, but on others they feel fucking hilariously awful. The actual mechanics are quite fun, and in the right song it fits but I can't say I ever wanted to see Robert Smith shred his way through a solo in the middle of Friday I'm In Love, nor do I want to add some toneless shite in the middle of St. Vincents Birth In Reverse. I know you can change it by pausing, but I think it should have been after difficulty on song select so you could build a playlist with no pausing at the start of each track. Also the new Drum Fills appear to be piss but I've not done a tutorial yet.
  • I wish the gh controller had a headphone jack like the PS4 controller.
  • Feel exactly the same with RB4 temps. Can be amazing, can also be horrific. Will probably turn it off completely.
  • I know the pad has to function like a controller but TBH i'd rather the share button was a solo style toggler or something too, I've already had it fuck up about 5 songs.
  • How do the Rock Band Freestyle Solos actually work? Is it a case of them removing the note placement and letting you go crazy?

If it is, that sucks as far I am concerned. Part of the enjoyment is nailing a particular solo or tricky solo section. Free Bird guitar solo on expert is a very challenging beast.

Done the 'career' on Guitar Hero Live now, it was okay. The songs are not particularly good but the love style and the new control scheme made them enjoyable to play.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Kind of, it changes the note track into a couple of different phases that are meant to be played on the higher or lower part of the neck depending on colour, and then you are tasked with either going crazy, strumming to a loosely represented and changing rhythm, doing hammer ons, big sustain sections, or staying within a winding path. 

I know why they've done it, it's because very few musicians play solos note for note every time they perform a song - it defeats the purpose of the solo as a component of a song - but it errs towards More Notes = More Impressive and More Expressive, so it can feel really counter to certain styles of song and guitar playing styles. 

In a ludicrous OTT rock song it works really though, because those songs generally tend to be of the More=Better style of thinking. You can turn it off, I just wish you could do it when selecting a song to streamline your setlists, because I like it on some songs but hate it on others.

My main issue having not played a Rock Band game since Beatles is that I've actually played guitar since then and fucking hell it really doesn't help.
  • I can see how that can be frustrating then. I wasn't particularly sold by Rock Band 4 myself, opted for Guitar Hero. I think going back to the five buttons in a row could be very confusing now!
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • For anyone interested just bought Guitar Hero Live for Xbox One for £39.99 with the guitar

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/guitar-hero-live-ps4-xo-ps3-x360-41-99-delivered-game-possibly-39-99-2374096
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Get it people.
    It's really good.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • That's a bloody good deal
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah that's pretty great. That game musta bombed tho
  • Or game ordered way too many, which is aways an option.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's dirt cheap everywhere...
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Still, I'll wait until it's half as much again.
  • I'm just starting out on Rocksmith. Been playing every day since Sunday, already seeing big improvements. Makes me think back to how long I spent getting good at guitar hero back in the day, what a waste!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Aye, Rocksmith is properly great. It's top 5 of all time for me probably, as it actually teaches you a skill.

My last plastic guitar game was Guitar Hero 2 on the PS2. I gave it up because it was taking time away from my real guitar and because ladies don't dig Fisher-Price guitars.
  • Sadly my lady doesn't dig real guitars either...
  • Mrs Daddy loved guitar hero. In fact it's the only game we've ever played together. She got obsessed with Message in a Bottle to the point where she was dreaming about it. She's also better than me at Rocksmith.

My fingertips are raw, gonna have the weekend off.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Definitely need to get Rocksmith, as soon as I sort out the jack in my tele.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I have ordered RB4 (geetar and game) which is a mere 55pounds for me from Amazon UK, shipping adds a bit more.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • May well pick up GH live PS4 after reading the positive feedback here. Price seems decent too.
  • Skerret wrote:
    I have ordered RB4 (geetar and game) which is a mere 55pounds for me from Amazon UK, shipping adds a bit more.

How are you getting it for 55?
  • nick_md wrote:
    May well pick up GH live PS4 after reading the positive feedback here. Price seems decent too.
    I don't want to learn to play guitar, ain't nobody got time fo dat shit etc...
    But I do want to feel like I'm playing somewhat.
    The 6 button config on GH Live allows me to feel that. 
    It's hard enough that you need to practice but not too hard that it feels like what's the point. 

And when you slip into that zone and your fingers are auto tinkling the neck and you have just pulled off some cool complicated section you feel damn fine.
  • @Panty Do easily get enough tokens to play other songs on GH TV or whatever it's called?
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • That side of it is heavily slanted towards paying for the EXACT song you want to play right now. 
    You are given a bunch of tokens to use and you get tokens regularly from levelling up. 
    But it's only 3-5 at a time. 

BUT I'm finding that whole TV thing really good, without spending a penny or a single token, I've played that mode by far more than the other. 
    It reminds me of MTV way back in 90s when it was really popular - you choose a channel that is either Rock or indie/pop orientated then it plays a unknown selection of songs usually around a theme like 'Indie goes Pop' for the next 30mins. Then you get a channel ident and the theme of the next 30mins changes to something else. 

I'm finding this mode really compelling because you don't know what's coming next and you get to play and sometimes like songs you would never dream of choosing if presented with a giant list and a five second preview. 
    Add the live song leaderboard consisting of 10 other online players playing that channel at the same time to compete against (taking first place on the last note of the song is sweet), along with guitar unlocks like harder note sections and more points per note etc... And I really like it!
    Admittedly the focus has moved away from 4 mates in a room cranking out a song accompanied by groaning plastic instruments to a more single player or two player experience (got a old USB mic? - it'll work for singing). They know Rock Band has the mates in a room pretty much sewn up so they've come up with their own take and it works really really well.
    I can't stress how much adding the second row of buttons makes this feel new and inventive.

I'm reluctant to get RB now and the only reason I would is to have access to all the songs I've acquired over the life of my 360. The thought of playing the same old tired 4 button set up is leaving me cold.
  • Playing the single player mode now. It's actually quite good the faux band members are nowhere as near as obnoxious as I thought they would be and it works. 

The bass guitarist is well Fit and she fancies me, she sees into my soul. But so does the drummer. 

Plus there's a girl in the front of the crowd at Strictland Lark, Jephson Hangout with a fantastic pair of tattybojangles.
  • Oh and I've just realised the in game cash you earn playing TV can be used to buy more plays.
  • I'd quite like the option to play whatever I want, and the TV mode. Sometimes on RB I'd think hard about what to play, so the option of it throwing stuff at me sounds good. I'm not sure I'm down for paying to play a particular song though.

Whats the vocal stuff like? This I found was always fucking awful compared to RB.

RB with adapter appears to be £40 on Amazon now. Which my drums will work with, and the GH Metallica guitar, but annoyingly, none of the other bazillion wired guitars I have.
  • You can play any song you've played in a set in the normal more traditional mode. 
    These songs are for the most part are separate from the TV mode.

I've not actually tried the vocals. The misus would be doing the singing and she doesn't know many of the songs as they are quite modern and we are old. I think you can use a smartphone or tablet in place of a mic, I hooked up my old RB mic and it worked. I think the vocals are a way for someone else join in and do not effect the score for the song. 

The TV 'plays' thing will put a few people off but I'm not finding it an issue, like I said, you get free plays regularly and you can use the in game cash you get from playing songs to buy more - I think 1500 guitar bucks buys 10 plays, you get about 140 guitar bucks per song depending on how good/bad you are. 
    I'm level 13 and I must have spent about 50k on guitar upgrades and stupid stuff like player art cards, if I'd kept putting that money into plays I don't think you would ever have to play a scheduled song!
    And as you said, it's quite nice to have songs thrown at you you might not normally play. 
    I've definitely added a couple of songs I would never normally listen to my collection - Dead Sara, Weatherman is a stonker and.... Luke Bryan is much to my shame a new guilty pleasure.

And I just remembered it's nice to have the actual videos playing as you play, none of this weird manakin stuff we got used to from days of yor.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!