Plastic Instruments
  • I'll defer to your better judgement on the drums, I never got chance to indulge past party setups.
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    I would say the reviews for GH Live and RB4 are in favour of GH, but of course personal taste counts more than anything

Yeah but the track list is shit so whatever, I'm gonna start a petition for GH Live but with RB track list.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    It's not a choice, it's both and gameplay is vitally important.  Gameplay and a solid set of mechanics is largely why I play anything.  I like to think I know a thing or two about games and I wouldn't be spending much time with games I thought were inferior.  Mechanically, I think RB is superior.  Harmonix developed that style of game and they understood it more acutely than Neversoft et al.  I played RB 1 2 and 3, played GH 1 and 2 and World Tour and with no particular allegiance prior to that, determined that RB is appreciably better (once Harmonix palmed off GH).  GH gameplay quality took a hit when Activision took over and no amount of gimmicks could hide the fact that Harmonix do it better.  A cursory glance across a few discussions and reviews supports this.  Even Activision CEO Kotick lamented the discarding of Harmonix.
    It's wank to argue about games, and even more so ones involving plastic instruments, but I'm going to anyway for the shits etc :) I could care less* what discussions and reviews say, I'm talking about my own opinion, which I hold in the highest regard. I should clarify that I'm not calling RB a bad game, it's good. I’ve nothing against Harmonix, they made GHII which I love. The reaction against Neversoft, at the time, just stank of misplaced allegiance. RB is a fine game, but GHIII just had more adrenaline for me. The challenge was greater, the skill ceiling increased. I didn’t play any of the GH games after III so unsure what gimmicks are being referred to. Harmonix didn't really develop that style of game, if my understanding of the term is correct, they developed it further, arguably, from the initial design of guitar+falling rising blocks that Konami pioneered with Guitar Freaks. I also know a thing or two about games. @Dante - you’re correct, it’s why I said for large groups / a party RB is the choice. *bait
    m8 i bl**dy teach games and spoke to a bloke once that makes them i'll tell you what s*nshine

i hold your opinion in the highest regard.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    I would say the reviews for GH Live and RB4 are in favour of GH, but of course personal taste counts more than anything
    Yeah but the track list is shit so whatever, I'm gonna start a petition for GH Live but with RB track list.
    @helf They are, yers.  I think the 'more of the same' and reduced tracklist chops dictated by budget constraints hasn't helped RB.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Finding there's little fun to be had in Rocksmith so far, but plenty satisfaction.  It's very frustrating as the dynamic difficulty ramps up just when you think you're getting the hang of stuff, but managing to get through a tough section for the first time is very rewarding.  Been playing almost every day for the last two and a half weeks, fingers are just about starting to develop some resilience!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Am enjoying GHL after the few hours I spent on it last night. Buttons a bit on the wee side but the new layout is certainly a breath of fresh air.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Not played it yet but the RB4 guitar is lovely.  More substantial than the previous iterations, strum bar is close to dead quiet, buttons are spongier, good.
  • I favour click over sponge, always.

We just can't seem to agree on anything :(
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Finding there's little fun to be had in Rocksmith so far, but plenty satisfaction.  It's very frustrating as the dynamic difficulty ramps up just when you think you're getting the hang of stuff, but managing to get through a tough section for the first time is very rewarding.  Been playing almost every day for the last two and a half weeks, fingers are just about starting to develop some resilience!

Good work, Daddy. The fun comes later.

(I think the Riff Repeater lets you set the difficulty so it doesn't keep jumping up. I've not used it)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    I favour click over sponge, always.

We just can't seem to agree on anything :(

I am 100% a clickboy
  • Ghl is now £35 on Shopto on all formats. With RB4 on the Xbox One version with legacy adapter £30, is it the death of the genre again and ever so quickly?
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • nick_md wrote:
    I favour click over sponge, always. We just can't seem to agree on anything :(

We had this in the past I feel, you liked the click for the rhythm, the click annoyed the hell out of me and distracted me too much. 

If the RB 4 quitar is very quiet, I may have to invest, as I'm sure that using the GH ones will wind me up no end.
  • They need headphones.
  • The click gets on my nerves too. I wanna hear the music, not the click(s)
  • I've heard of players using 'silent mod' (turn the volume to mute) to improve their game.

You guys need to get serious innit.

(jokes)

(but not really)

(ok jokes)
  • That's retarded. People playing a music game with sound off because of a bunch of numbers in the screen may end up higher. 

Retards.
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    Ghl is now £35 on Shopto on all formats. With the Xbox One version with legacy adapter £30, is it the death of the genre again and ever so quickly?
    Rock Band?
    GH doesn't have a legacy adapter, because it's a brand new guitar. 

I might get it so I can transfer my collection and get rid of my 360.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire

• pantyfire wrote:
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    Ghl is now £35 on Shopto on all formats. With the Xbox One version with legacy adapter £30, is it the death of the genre again and ever so quickly?
    Rock Band?
    GH doesn't have a legacy adapter, because it's a brand new guitar. 

I might get it so I can transfer my collection and get rid of my 360.

Ooops, yeah RB4 is £30 with Legacy adapter, can't remember where though
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    Ooops, yeah RB4 is £30 with Legacy adapter, can't remember where though

Can you try?
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    That's retarded. People playing a music game with sound off because of a bunch of numbers in the screen may end up higher.  Retards.

It can help you pick out the rhythm greatly - hearing nothing but 'click clickity clickity clickity click' drills home how many of each click type are needed. I don't think it's actually useful that much in GH/RB as there aren't really as many dense/hard to read patterns, for the most part. Some JP music games on the other hand, there are dense, dense charts where hearing just the button rhythm can help understand the pattern. Kinda. That's the theory anyway.

Any road, still enjoying GHL quite a lot. Playing mostly GHTV with the missus. Kicked up a notch to expert and the trickier chord shapes are starting to appear. Main difficulty atm though is just soloing, can't quite groc on sight the note positions consistently yet, when there's a variation of blacks and whites.
  • Ah, I see what you mean. I was thinking more from an enjoying-the-music point of view.

I have no experience of any crazy Jap rhythm games apart from Osu on DS.
  • Osu is what got me into rhythm games. Fantastic title.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Any road, still enjoying GHL quite a lot. Playing mostly GHTV with the missus. Kicked up a notch to expert and the trickier chord shapes are starting to appear. Main difficulty atm though is just soloing, can't quite groc on sight the note positions consistently yet, when there's a variation of blacks and whites.

I really cannot get my head around expert. For the majority of the song I do really well and then it just hits me with such a quick sequence of changes. Very tricky to master.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • I really cannot get my head around expert. For the majority of the song I do really well and then it just hits me with such a quick sequence of changes. Very tricky to master.

I like that there are 'intensity' listings for each song, so essentially 5-tier of difficulty, per difficulty. I tend to be okay up to tier 3 expert, making mistakes of course and having the odd tricky chords I can't quite hit straight away, but in general passing them. 4 and 5 tier are a tad out of reach currently.

My biggest gripe atm is when in power-up mode, it's damn near impossible to tell hammer-on/pull-off notes from regular notes, as everything is lit up blue anyway, so disguises the ho/po's. It's really bad, unless I'm missing something.
  • Plus I guess there's even more range of difficulty, per genre, per intensity, so a tier 3 indie is going to be easier than a tier 3 metal, mayhaps.

I've got the missus doing tier 2 and 3 advanced as a bridge from regular to advanced, and it's working out great for her, so mayhaps look for lower tier expert to bridge into it.
  • I do think that playing Channel 1 on TV all the time doesn't necessarily help with learning expert! Some of those outrageously fast metal songs are both amazing and seriously tough.

HO and PO are also something I seem to be struggling with at the moment.
  • The only way to learn is to fail hard! Always good to push yourself on rhythm games, within reason. The single piece of advice given to newbies asking for tips on getting better on an old bm forum I frequented was "jam harder". Is true at every level.
  • Completely agree. I spent a short amount of time on normal, quickly jumped up to hard and I am now focused on expert. It is the best way to learn.
  • Defo. I said the same to the missus. Accepting you will fail is the path the enlightenment.

Stick that on a pic of the Dalai Lama.
  • Okay this 'intensity' thing ain't telling that much tbh. Paint it Black listed as 5 bars but is pretty tame.

Shifted onto Hangar 18 to gauge things and got destroyed by the solos.

Chop Suey on the other hand was pretty straight forward, 92% sight read woop! Comes down to whether or not you can shred consistently I think.

The noodling of stuff like Hangar is some way off for me still. Enjoying.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!