Holidays
  • I don't give a shit about the animals, that's for E.  I'm going for the mental thrill rides.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Anyone here been to Flamingoland?  We're heading there next week and some insider knowledge would be helpful.

As in the one near Rippon? Circa 1990 I might be your man but nothing since then.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    I don't give a shit about the animals, that's for E.  I'm going for the mental thrill rides.

Holy CRAP those look like fun!

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    I don't give a shit about the animals, that's for E.  I'm going for the mental thrill rides.

The zoo is surprisingly good. The rides are decent. There's a fair amount of bright pink angry bald men drinking Carling.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Is the new coaster opened yet?
  • It says the 2nd of July.  Sik is the new 10 inversion thrill coaster. So it'll be very busy fir that.

Insider knowledge: It's new (as in never used) but it was bought second hand from another park that went bust. It only came with one train as the company missed payments so the manufacturer sold their second train to someone else.

So between the fact that it's new and only having one train, the queue times will be ludicrous. Flamingo Land queue times are notoriously bad anyways so either get on it first thing in the morning or when folk start leaving in the evening. 

Avoid the rollercoaster, Hero. It's was a cheap, experimental flying coaster. Haven't been on it myself but having read plenty about it, you are almost certainly going to get hurt if you get on it due to the weird set up. Look up POV videos. You can often hear the camera person in agony as they get wrenched round the track.

Kumali is a suspended coaster. The ones from that manufacturer (Vekoma) can be pretty rough at times but you should be fine, unless you have back or neck problems.
  • Cheers Grem.

New coaster opens on the 2nd July, according to the website.

Edit: dammit, Matt. Also thanks.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Cheers Grem.

New coaster opens on the 2nd July, according to the website.

Edit: dammit, Matt. Also thanks.

Actually, thinking about it the zoo was my favourite part. My sister rates them and she looks after the big cats at Blair Drummond.
  • I'm never that keen on zoos but Blair Drummond certainly gives most of the animals a lot of space, particularly the lions.
  • The boys have a teacher's training day next week so I've booked a day off work and bought tickets to Legoland.
    They are soooo excited and I'm excited by the fact that we can go midweek, off-peak, when hopefully lots of others are in school.

Any advice on best way to take Ham Wraps?
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    In badly torn cling film, they need to look sufficiently home made.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Badly Torn Clingfilm - new album drops Friday.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Wrap them in ham to protect them.
  • Or should I perhaps just save a little harder?
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Thought I saw our very own Gonzo on my flight back from Toulouse this morning. Couldn’t be sure and didn’t want to alarm some random guy on the plane. Not the best story, rest of the holiday was fun.
  • Should have said aloud "Is that Marcelo Bielsa?", and if they got incredibly excited you'd have been safe to say hello.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Last day of term tomorrow.

Fuckin yaas
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Anyone here been to Flamingoland?  We're heading there next week and some insider knowledge would be helpful.

I've not been in years despite being near-ish.  (I'm about an hour away.)  I'm told that Kumali and Velocity are the ones to try and get on before the queues build up.  (Velocity was there last time I went, and whilst pretty old by now is definitely fun - no inversions, but it's insanely fast, and has the nice gimmick of having you sat astride a motorbike...)   My main memory of Flamingo Land coasters, which apparently hasn't changed, is that they're really uncomfortable - expect a headache.

The zoo was better than I expected, the rides were slightly disappointing, but a lot better than the theme park up the road from me.

How long are you in the area for, and are you planning on visiting any other bits?
  • What do they let you ride in the zoo?
  • What do they let you ride in the zoo?

Meercats
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    I've not been in years despite being near-ish.  (I'm about an hour away.)  I'm told that Kumali and Velocity are the ones to try and get on before the queues build up.  (Velocity was there last time I went, and whilst pretty old by now is definitely fun - no inversions, but it's insanely fast, and has the nice gimmick of having you sat astride a motorbike...)   My main memory of Flamingo Land coasters, which apparently hasn't changed, is that they're really uncomfortable - expect a headache. The zoo was better than I expected, the rides were slightly disappointing, but a lot better than the theme park up the road from me. How long are you in the area for, and are you planning on visiting any other bits?

Cheers Tin.  Already had my sights set on Velocity.

We're spending two nights in a hotel just south of Newcastle then the next five in an Air B'n'B in Pickering.  Not sure how close that puts us to you at any point, but if there's a chance to buy you a (non-alcoholic) beer I'd jump at it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    2 bass performances down, one more to go! Then off to eat Mexican food and drink.
  • Such is the life of a rockstar.
  • Cos wrote:
    Thought I saw our very own Gonzo on my flight back from Toulouse this morning. Couldn’t be sure and didn’t want to alarm some random guy on the plane. Not the best story, rest of the holiday was fun.

One of my brethren most like
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • My crazy missus has just informed me we’re off to Scotland for 11 days in a few weeks. She mentioned the North Coast 500 route. Apparently she has hired a car, bought a tent and is just gonna set off and drive.
    I’m looking for any suggestions on things to see and do. I’m into nature, walking, distilleries, history, etc. Will be 2 adults and one nearly-10 year old boy. Pls help…
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Distilleries might be difficult with the boy. Check first if minors are allowed.
  • Also a bit dull for the driver. Nae tasting then driving.
  • A distillery would be summat for mysen whilst those 2 do a different activity.
    Scotland has been on the cards for a while, might not get the chance to visit again. I just want all of us to see the best parts of it, as it’s always looked awesome to me from what I’ve seen or heard about.
  • And I know Sunday evening is the WORST time to ask so will bump tomorrow.
  • Wishlist:
    Casually bump into g.man, Gav and Unlikely
    Drink some Buckfast in a street with some neds and get battered by them
    Track and catch a haggis
    Selfie with Nessie
    Deep-fried Mars Bar

Have I missed anything?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!