Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Will be interesting to read hire they defend the rejection. Does court beckon??
  • It will surely go to the courts.
    It seems pretty clear cut that the rules weren't followed correctly. RC didn't even seem to deny it instead leaning on the excuse they wanted a race.

Think of the money involved in winning vs not winning the championship. It'll go to courts.
  • Merc. won the constructors' championship.  Unless things have changed since I last followed this (which admittedly was six+ years ago) that's worth way more than the drivers' championship.  They'll piss and moan (with good reason) but I'd be surprised if it ends up in court.
  • They would still win the constructors if Ham won drivers so not sure what your point is.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    They won't take it to court. Its over. Max is champion.
  • Your point was the money involved.

EDIT:  Liv.
  • The Max Fanclub is claiming this it why it's fine.

FGbgjNQXEAUeVgU?format=jpg&name=large

Seems pretty clear to me that this is saying the Race Director has ultimate control of these over the clerk of the course, not that the Race director can make up any old shit he likes in regards to them.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Your point was the money involved.

Yeah.
    Your reply makes no sense though.
    They will lose money for Ham not winning. Them still getting money from constructors doesn't change that.
  • Yeah, the issue isn't use of the safety car, it's what the other cars were told to do before it left the track.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    Your point was the money involved. EDIT:  Liv.
    Yeah. Your reply makes no sense though. They will lose money for Ham not winning. Them still getting money from constructors doesn't change that.

OK, I will use more words.  My point was that taking this to court is likely to be expensive, potentially damaging to the Merc. brand in terms of public perception, and ultimately futile, because the FIA have ruled.  Lewis was completely right to avoid any comment on the politics of the situation in the post-race interview.
  • Yeah, Lewis took this classily.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Tbh, I see this in a similar light to Maradonna and the Hand of God. It's more controversial, because without such direct interference, Ham was going to win that race. 

But the incident on the 1st/2nd lap was also badly dealt with.

Look at it another way. For years, F1 had never been so balanced. So the officials had never had to deal with anything like it, and tbf, can be expected to make some dumb mistakes.

A bit like VAR last season. But instead of an introduction of tech, it's the competitors themselves that have forced the officials to adjust, and just like with VAR, they'd not had a scooby.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I mean, at the end of the day Max won more races, got more poles and broke the record for podium finishes in a season. So even though the last race ended in a shit show, he's not exactly an undeserving champion- like him or not.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    Your point was the money involved.

Yeah.
    Your reply makes no sense though.
    They will lose money for Ham not winning. Them still getting money from constructors doesn't change that.

Only the constructors championship earns prize money. Drivers is just for the prestige. Ham prob on a bonus so it might save merc money! ;)
    Unless you meant in terms of marketing and knock on revenue from have the champ etc
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:
    I mean, at the end of the day Max won more races, got more poles and broke the record for podium finishes in a season. So even though the last race ended in a shit show, he's not exactly an undeserving champion- like him or not.

This.

But he is a cunt, and they will have to account for his conduct, because if they don't he will eventually cause a huge crash.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    A huge crash where someone else gets hurt...
  • FGbh8kSWYAAtF8L?format=jpg&name=large

I'd go full on dickhead next season. As soon as there is a safety car, ask if lapped cars will be allowed to overtake. If Massi replies they are, ask how many of them. When he gets annoyed at this, ask if the safety car will be coming in on the same lap, or the following lap.
  • They would have been far better served just admitting that Massi fucked up, but within the rules there isn't actually any recourse for the Race Director not knowing what the rules are.

Essentially, the decisions says any rules regarding anything listed in 15.3 don't actually matter because the Race Director can just decide on the spot what he wants to do regardless of the regulations. Going to court might give clarity to this.
  • Merc have lodged a protest against the decision, so this will rumble on
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Clarity for next season would be better than nothing.
  • jdanielp wrote:
    Clarity for next season would be better than nothing.

Yeah. I'm sure that will be mercs angle "we're not angry at max, it's about clarity of rules " etc
  • The marketability of "Best driver in history" cannot be underestimated.
    If this was any other season maybe things might be different but that title is a golden goose that any business would be mad to leave on the table.
    That will be paying out pretty much until the end of time, or until someone does 9.

Prize money is pocket change in comparison.
  • That stays with the driver, not the team.
  • You think Ferrari aren't still raking in money off what Schumacher did in their car?
  • I have no idea. Go find out and report back.
  • Nah I'll leave you clutching at straws.
  • Not covering yourself in glory here but sure. Night night.
  • I didn't really consider it at the time but if fia really wanted to finish with a fair race they should have red flagged instead of safety car. Then they could at least have had a fair go to change tyres etc.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!