PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Max Verstappen, World Champion*
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Max Verstappen/Michael Masi, World Champion*
  • I have a lot of time for Andrew Frankel as a motoring journalist, and he’s summed this all up really well (in my opinion, anyway).
    What is wrong with Formula 1? Well I think the nub of it is contained in a statement put out by the FIA Motor Sport Council today.

Its purpose, I think, was to show the world that it was on top of and looking into the issues that arose from the last lap of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. That is not how it comes across. Because before any of that, it states ’The circumstances… have notably generated significant misunderstanding and reactions from Formula 1 teams, drivers and fans, an argument that is currently tarnishing the image of the Championship…'

So the reason the reputation of F1 is being dragged through the mud is not down to the unprecedented, unfathomable decision by the FIA’s representative to interpret the rules in a way they have never been interpreted before and thereby gift the race and therefore the World Championship to a driver who five minutes earlier had not one hope in hell of taking the title, but us. You, me and every other race fan around the world. We have misunderstood. We don’t get it. There is not so much as a syllable of suggestion that the fault may lie even in part with them. And right there is what has actually been misunderstood, wilfully or otherwise, by them. Not us. The lack of self-awareness, at least in this public pronouncement, is breathtaking.

Of course what should happen is that the FIA Motor Sport Council publishes a full and sincere apology for turning the end of the most exciting season’s racing in years into a puppet show, but I’ll not be holding my breath for that. Then, I’m afraid, it needs to find itself another puppet master. And of course insofar as Jean Todt was going anyway, that will happen and not a moment too soon. But the person on the ground needs to change too, as do the rules by which he or she is meant to be guided. Because worthy champion though Max Verstappen is (and will remain now that Mercedes-AMG has officially dropped its appeal), the means by which it was delivered to him with less than two minutes of the season remaining can never be allowed to happen again.
  • Eric wrote:

… And that’s a very classy statement from Mercedes. (I bet Toto hates it.)
  • poprock wrote:
    I have a lot of time for Andrew Frankel as a motoring journalist, and he’s summed this all up really well (in my opinion, anyway).
    What is wrong with Formula 1? Well I think the nub of it is contained in a statement put out by the FIA Motor Sport Council today.

Its purpose, I think, was to show the world that it was on top of and looking into the issues that arose from the last lap of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. That is not how it comes across. Because before any of that, it states ’The circumstances… have notably generated significant misunderstanding and reactions from Formula 1 teams, drivers and fans, an argument that is currently tarnishing the image of the Championship…'

So the reason the reputation of F1 is being dragged through the mud is not down to the unprecedented, unfathomable decision by the FIA’s representative to interpret the rules in a way they have never been interpreted before and thereby gift the race and therefore the World Championship to a driver who five minutes earlier had not one hope in hell of taking the title, but us. You, me and every other race fan around the world. We have misunderstood. We don’t get it. There is not so much as a syllable of suggestion that the fault may lie even in part with them. And right there is what has actually been misunderstood, wilfully or otherwise, by them. Not us. The lack of self-awareness, at least in this public pronouncement, is breathtaking.

Of course what should happen is that the FIA Motor Sport Council publishes a full and sincere apology for turning the end of the most exciting season’s racing in years into a puppet show, but I’ll not be holding my breath for that. Then, I’m afraid, it needs to find itself another puppet master. And of course insofar as Jean Todt was going anyway, that will happen and not a moment too soon. But the person on the ground needs to change too, as do the rules by which he or she is meant to be guided. Because worthy champion though Max Verstappen is (and will remain now that Mercedes-AMG has officially dropped its appeal), the means by which it was delivered to him with less than two minutes of the season remaining can never be allowed to happen again.

I love him. He's a bit geeky but he knows his stuff. His podcast with Dan Prosser covers the AD race and the incident in detail and they totally nail it.
    https://youtu.be/6vSM0EBky5Q
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I've unsubbed from all YT videos, I click on nothing F1 related, except this thread. When summat gets shown by the algo, I go out of my way to click "don't recommend shite from this channel". They're obsessed with buzz and social media so if enough people do this, it will send a message. If people consume this drama, they'll think it's all upsides.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Ok, time to pretend that the FIA aren't totally clueless idiots. To that end, they have hired YOU to make the race calendar for next season. You can do this anyway you want. Thanks to the brown envelopes Red Bull have slipped them all season, you have the funds to make ANY track a Grade 1 circuit. What do you pick?
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Naked calendars are always popular.
  • jdanielp wrote:
    Naked calendars are always popular.

shirtless-f1-drivers-vintage-stirling-moss-with-steve-mcqueen.jpg
  • Ah good old g. The only surviving forumite that remembers black and white
    The Forum Herald™
  • Heh. I did used to watch F1 in black & white when I was a lad tbh.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Ok, time to pretend that the FIA aren't totally clueless idiots. To that end, they have hired YOU to make the race calendar for next season. You can do this anyway you want. Thanks to the brown envelopes Red Bull have slipped them all season, you have the funds to make ANY track a Grade 1 circuit. What do you pick?

In order of preference for me:
    Trial Mountain (you did say any track)
    Monza Historic
    Hockenheim (pre Tilke redesign ruining it.)
    Mugello
    Brands Hatch
    Circuit de la Sarthe

Non viable ones that would be an interesting spectacle for a F1 car to go round :
    Nordschleife Too long and narrow
    Oulton Park Too narrow
    Knockhill Too narrow
  • Same here. On my glorious Pye 12" b&w portable. Developed acute hearing as I had the volume down really low so my parents couldn't hear. Power socket was down the side my bed so I could turn it off at the slightest hint they might be on the way up.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    I'm a bit biased because I grew up about 15 minutes from there, but I'd love to see Donington return as an F1 track - Senna's ridiculous wet lap 1 there will live on long in the memory, mostly because I was there, getting piss wet through...
  • Whats Monza historic? The oval?
  • Yes. The one with the banked corner. You can play it on Project Cars 2 and it's brilliant. You can also play the original 15km Spa circuit on that too but it's a bit dull.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Ah good old g. The only surviving forumite that remembers black and white

I at least hope I'm much younger than G... I remember black and white TV's very well.

Hell for the snooker...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Bob wrote:
    Ah good old g. The only surviving forumite that remembers black and white
    I at least hope I'm much younger than G... I remember black and white TV's very well. Hell for the snooker...

Ah but presumably you where on the otherside of the TV.
    The Forum Herald™
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yeah. In the back of it, trying to plug a NES into the RF socket.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • F1 is often accused of being a European championship, so I just tried to make a calendar using next years dates using only current Grade 1 tracks, and making it a bit more global. This as it turns out is quite difficult, because most of the tracks are in Europe. There are no tracks in Africa, and only one in South America.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Aha, so the obvious solution to the current problems for the FIA is to punish Lewis for failing to attend the end of year awards gala. https://uk.yahoo.com/sports/news/lewis-hamilton-set-face-punishment-163124281.html
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Yeh, but rules must be followed.
  • “Forgiveness is always there but rules are rules,” added Ben Sulayem

That's some brass neck.

Anyway, Article 6.6 is superseded by Article 3.1

3.1 It is the competitor's responsibility to ensure that all persons concerned by his entry observe all
    the requirements of the Regulations. If a competitor is unable to be present in person at the
    Event he must nominate his representative in writing. The person having charge of an entered
    car during any part of an Event is responsible jointly and severally with the competitor for
    ensuring that the requirements are observed.

James Allison was his nominated representative, and attended the event.
  • Ham is a knight now, can he not just plunge a sword into Masi's neck or feed him to the Queen?
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Surely Masi can just say there's no punishment for Lewis since he can over ride the rules? Seems the least he could do
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I suspect my penchant for shithousery in the face of injustice is the sole reason I'm not an F1 Team Principal, but come on Toto, this is just begging for you to misinterpret the rules in response to them.
  • **** BREAKING NEWS!! ****

LEWIS HAMILTON TO RETIRE!!

It has been reported he wishes to leave F1 to pursue a career in music, however his request to join the group, Musical Youth, was rejected on the basis that he could not pass the dutchie on the left hand side!!
    The Forum Herald™
  • Driver crash damage costs from last season:
    https://www.planetf1.com/news/driver-crash-damage-costs-2021/

Pretty impressive from the Alpine team
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Wow. I wonder to what extent teams factor in these stats when employing/retaining drivers.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!