jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I've heard from a few different sources now that there had been some kind of agreement made in advance of today's race that a red flag wouldn't be shown towards the end (unless given exceptional circumstances, presumably?). I'm not sure if this is true or who it was between, but if so it would be another of these FIA overstepping the mark style situations like the deal making before the restart the other weekend, especially if not all teams had a say, but if it turns out that Mercedes agreed to it then maybe they just have themselves to blame...
  • Brundle asked Massi before the race if there would be a red flag in this situation and he said no. I suspect thats where it came from.

Which is actually the right decision. Red flags aren't there to give a thrilling climax to a title fight. They're used on safety grounds. A barrier needs repairing, a third of the field just crashed into each other on a restart, we've done 2 laps behind the safety car thus fulfilling the requirements of a race, things like that.
  • Trying to think objectively about the scenario and i do think they need to reconsider safety car use and rules. I think with modern tech it's not nearly as needed as it used to be in terms of gathering the drivers in the right order etc, and they can make things much fairer, as safety car has always been a lottery and mostly harms the car in the lead.
    the VSC is a better tool for keeping the race fair since you don't lose any advantage built. (also maybe you need to ban pitstops during VSC/safety car.)
    if an incident requires more than VSC to resolve, why don't they just use a red flag? bring all cars in...either everyone or no one gets a free pit stop (that's a red flag rule that needs considered too)...then you resume without wasting too many laps.

make those changes and they you have it where you maintain the gaps and any tyre diffs, or you compress the field but make it fair on tyres.

finishing races behind the SC is unsatisfactory, even if it's what i felt should have happened yesterday according to the rules...but i'd have been happy with a 1 or 2 lap shootout between Max and Lewis if it was on fair tyres
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    What happened yesterday was such bollocks. Why wasn't Sainz in 3rd allowed to get in on the action?
  • What happened yesterday was such bollocks. Why wasn't Sainz in 3rd allowed to get in on the action?
    Cos Red Bull and F1 just wanted Max to win it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Ram's suggestion of no more safety car makes sense to me. Also have pit stops banned during VSC, and no work on the cars during red flags and that would remove any opportunities for an unfair advantage. Or if pit stops must be made (dangerous tire ware etc) the impose a 10 second stop go penalty before work can star so teams will only do it if absolutely necessary.
  • Aye still rankles today. Already sick of the 'totally deserved' plaudits for Verstrappon. In the context of the season, yes. Maybe more wins, podiums, but Ham has shown the consistency of a champion to draw level on points with less. In the context of the last few races and yesterday's In particular, no. Ham had that race and Verstrappon in his pocket. Events conspired against him which is fair game in F1, but when the race director conspires against you, it's rotten.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Also he wouldn't have had more wins if ham had been given the win yesterday...
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Also he wouldn't have had more wins if ham had been given the win yesterday...
    or they hadn't gifted max the win in spa by....running behind a safety car for just 2 laps then declaring the race finished.
    or indeed the couple of races earlier in the season that max won by forcing lewis off when he was trying to pass, and max got no penalty.
  • In My mind Massi clearly bowed to pressure from Red Bull and Horner to 'let them race'
    The Forum Herald™
  • Which is why there should be no direct contact from the pit wall to the director. Masi is weak, Horner is a cunt.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • i'm sure i remember horner using the exact words "we only need 1 lap" in his call to Masi before they suddenly changed the Safety Car process
  • Webbins wrote:
    Which is why there should be no direct contact from the pit wall to the director. Masi is weak, Horner is a cunt.

Yeah and it may just be the way they choose to broadcast it but Red Bull are always on the Blower first.. then Mercedes.. In hindsight they maybe should have changed lewis tyres but I expect Max would have just caused a crash.

It's Motorsport sometimes things just don't go your way.

Some crazy talk from Webber and the Daily Mail about Lewis quitting but I can't see it without at least seeing how the new regulations pan out.
    The Forum Herald™
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    What happened yesterday was such bollocks. Why wasn't Sainz in 3rd allowed to get in on the action?

This is such a massive problem. I'm not sure that Sainz would have had the tyres to attack Max on the restart  and, by all accounts, only just managed to hold off Tsunoda and Gasly to keep third place at the end, but Max was effectively given complete protection for the restart with a lapped Daniel Ricciardo acting as a rear buffer.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Brundle asked Massi before the race if there would be a red flag in this situation and he said no. I suspect thats where it came from. Which is actually the right decision. Red flags aren't there to give a thrilling climax to a title fight. They're used on safety grounds. A barrier needs repairing, a third of the field just crashed into each other on a restart, we've done 2 laps behind the safety car thus fulfilling the requirements of a race, things like that.

Fair point, although intentional misintepretation of the official rules isn't there to give a thrilling climax either.

I imagine that Ram's argument for getting rid of safety cars wouldn't be considered on the basis of the VSC not giving enough clear track time each lap for marshals to do their job in as safe as possible conditions (and the loss of sponsorship money from the manufacturer providing the safety car of course...).
  • Webbins wrote:
    Which is why there should be no direct contact from the pit wall to the director. Masi is weak, Horner is a cunt.

I don’t think so. I think it’s clear the rules are not fit to handle situations of nuance so it makes sense for both involved parties to have a say and a third person to make a decision.

If you think Wolff didn’t have a say in Hamilton only needed to recede a few tenths of a second when he kept his place then you’re deluded.

Also if that decision didn’t play a part in conceding a bit for red bull I’d eat my (ice cream cone wafer) hat.
  • jdanielp wrote:
    Brundle asked Massi before the race if there would be a red flag in this situation and he said no. I suspect thats where it came from. Which is actually the right decision. Red flags aren't there to give a thrilling climax to a title fight. They're used on safety grounds. A barrier needs repairing, a third of the field just crashed into each other on a restart, we've done 2 laps behind the safety car thus fulfilling the requirements of a race, things like that.
    Fair point, although intentional misintepretation of the official rules isn't there to give a thrilling climax either. I imagine that Ram's argument for getting rid of safety cars wouldn't be considered on the basis of the VSC not giving enough clear track time each lap for marshals to do their job in as safe as possible conditions (and the loss of sponsorship money from the manufacturer providing the safety car of course...).
    in 'my argument' there though they'd have gone quickly to red flag if the VSC wasn't up to the job, and then we'd have had a couple of laps racing on fairer tyres (either both changed under red flag or neither doing so under VSC or red flag). i still think in that scenario max would prob win, but at least it would feel like a fair fight and not a setup.
  • @crayon
    Wolff did have a say. Both Sky and C4 were critical of him asking Masi not to bring the full safety car out when there was a VSC earlier in the race.

I feel Wolff has been pushed into this by the past actions of Redbull to be fair.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • @ram
    With both on new softs I think Lewis would have won. You saw how close he was to coming back at Max on the second straight. Max may have decided to run him off the track but the Mercedes looked super slippery yesterday and deffo had the legs on the RB.
  • Webbins wrote:

I don’t think so. I think it’s clear the rules are not fit to handle situations of nuance so it makes sense for both involved parties to have a say and a third person to make a decision.

If you think Wolff didn’t have a say in Hamilton only needed to recede a few tenths of a second when he kept his place then you’re deluded.

Also if that decision didn’t play a part in conceding a bit for red bull I’d eat my (ice cream cone wafer) hat.

Horner, Wolff et al aren't having a say, they are mostly just whinging and it crosses into coercion. The director has full view of the race, they should have encyclopedic knowledge of the ruling and should apply the ruling accordingly to what occurs on track, not what some jumped up, adrenaline fueled team principal thinks should happen. At the very least it should go to a assistant director who acknowledges the complaint before deciding it is worthy of raising with the director.
  • Yeah, the full safety car bunches up the field and gives marshalls space to get out on the track to clear debris.

The problem with a red flag is how much time it takes. That would bring in a whole new set of problems.
  • I don't agree with the shit show that happened yesterday but none of that had anything to do with Verstappen. To say that he wasn't a worthy winner is disingenuous imo.

Both Max and Lewis have provided us with the greatest F1 season in living memory. The level of consistency both managed to deliver week in week out is mind blowing especially when compared to the rest of the pack.

My only gripe going forward is that next season it becomes a development arms race again just as the rest of the playing field was catching up!
  • Just ban pit stops under the safety car unless you were involved in the reason for the safety car I guess.

With what happened to Jules Bianchi and a marshall being killed at Brands Hatch this year I don't think VSC covers enough safety bases and red flagging continually isn't practical as Dante highlighted.
  • Eric wrote:
    Just ban pit stops under the safety car unless you were involved in the reason for the safety car I guess. .

Yeah, this is the way.
  • I’m not sure who thinks it’s a good idea to have cars diving into and out of the pits during a safety situation
    The Forum Herald™
  • But only when it’s his cars.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    There were bound to be conspiracy theories, but Latifi crashing in return for Albon is a cracker.
  • I don't think there is any chance this will be overturned, so Merc need to think about reputation.

Right now, as far as I can tell, anyone who knows anything about this (most especially the other drivers) are saying that, at the very least, this was "weird" decision making, at worst (Danny Ricc) saying he's "speechless" at the process. This sullies Verstappen's championship significantly. Next year Merc will be back stronger, with a more determined Ham and a better driving partner.

If I were Merc's PR, I'd probably leave it at Ham's very impressive post-race interviews, classy, above it all, let-others-decide-about-obviously-corrupt/inept-Masi et al, with Verstappen left to stew in what even other drivers see as a shiftily won WDC, and fuck him right up next year.
  • The thing is you never know what the cars will be like. There’s a chance it’s completely clear who will win after race one - as has been the case in the previous four years.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!