• Funkstain wrote:
    If I were Merc's PR, I'd probably leave it at Ham's very impressive post-race interviews, classy, above it all, let-others-decide-about-obviously-corrupt/inept-Masi et al, with Verstappen left to stew in what even other drivers see as a shiftily won WDC, and fuck him right up next year.

100% agree with you there, Funk. 

But Wolff won’t let it lie, even though he should. Aren’t Merc suing the FIA already? I think they should at least keep quiet and rise above it all in the press, even if they’re letting a lawsuit rumble on in the background.

Personally I think it’d be fun to put Hamilton and Verstappen up against each other in the Race of Champions during the off-season. Never gonna happen though.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Agree with everything Funk said there. Ham was the perfect sportsman there at the end, and Max still ends up coming off the cunt, couldn't even congratulate his challenger.

Still that crash when Max landed on Lewis' head and he just got out and walked off without checking on a potentially injured competitor tells me all I ever need to know about the man... forever a cunt.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    I don't think there is any chance this will be overturned, so Merc need to think about reputation. Right now, as far as I can tell, anyone who knows anything about this (most especially the other drivers) are saying that, at the very least, this was "weird" decision making, at worst (Danny Ricc) saying he's "speechless" at the process. This sullies Verstappen's championship significantly. Next year Merc will be back stronger, with a more determined Ham and a better driving partner. If I were Merc's PR, I'd probably leave it at Ham's very impressive post-race interviews, classy, above it all, let-others-decide-about-obviously-corrupt/inept-Masi et al, with Verstappen left to stew in what even other drivers see as a shiftily won WDC, and fuck him right up next year.
    I think it will be influenced by how Lewis is behind the scenes. If he really does feel like the rule makers are working against him and considering jacking it all in, Merc may be more inclined to fight it and 'right that wrong' in their eyes, even if just to get clarity on the rules. If he's leaning more in a 'we'll fucking show them next year' direction then they might let it go
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • poprock wrote:
    Funkstain wrote:
    If I were Merc's PR, I'd probably leave it at Ham's very impressive post-race interviews, classy, above it all, let-others-decide-about-obviously-corrupt/inept-Masi et al, with Verstappen left to stew in what even other drivers see as a shiftily won WDC, and fuck him right up next year.

100% agree with you there, Funk. 

But Wolff won’t let it lie, even though he should. Aren’t Merc suing the FIA already? I think they should at least keep quiet and rise above it all in the press, even if they’re letting a lawsuit rumble on in the background.

Personally I think it’d be fun to put Hamilton and Verstappen up against each other in the Race of Champions during the off-season. Never gonna happen though.

I think I’d only want to see this if they had them in each other’s cars.
  • I think I’d only want to see this if they had them in each other’s cars.

The whole point of the ROC is that everybody has to compete in identical cars, and across a whole range of car types. So two drivers square off for a time trial in Ariel Atoms, then two drivers square off in NASCARs, then in off-road trucks, then in hot hatches, etc etc.

What usually happens is that the cocky F1 drivers get spanked by retired greats, or by racers from other classes (like the year Andy Priaulx walked all over them, or the years Sebastien Loeb has.)
  • they should bring back top gear F1 'star in a car' thing for a special one off to settle Lewis and Max. fastest lap gets the title
  • poprock wrote:
    I think I’d only want to see this if they had them in each other’s cars.

The whole point of the ROC is that everybody has to compete in identical cars, and across a whole range of car types. So two drivers square off for a time trial in Ariel Atoms, then two drivers square off in NASCARs, then in off-road trucks, then in hot hatches, etc etc.

What usually happens is that the cocky F1 drivers get spanked by retired greats, or by racers from other classes (like the year Andy Priaulx walked all over them, or the years Sebastien Loeb has.)

Ah I didn’t realise you meant a Race of Champions (rtm) rather than a racing of champions.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I still see this as nothing more than a refereeing / officiating howler, but it looks more and more like the worst decision of it's type ever made.

I've since found out about the Olympics Basketball final in 1972... That was pretty close. Closer in nature to this F1 finale than the 'Hand of God', for example. It would have looked at least slightly less unfair if all the the backmarkers were un-lapped, whether Merc decided to pit Ham or not.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Apparently the daft twat contradicted his own previous clarification of the rules.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/michael-masi-contradicts-lapped-car-clarification/

It's smacking more and more of Americans desperate to create spectacle. And Red Bull desperate to crown their enfant terrible with a hollow crown before losing him.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Of course he has, because what he did is absolutely without precedent, and to justify it the stewards have had to say that the Race Director can make up any old shit that he likes, and any regulations under the sections he has control over may as well not exist.

It's blindingly obvious that the section they refer to is saying that the Race Director is the person who has ultimate authority over the things mentioned and not the clerk of the course. He still has to follow the regulations set down regarding those things.

There was only one way to finish the race under a green flag within the regulations, and that was the very first decision made - lapped cars may not overtake.
  • Which would have resulted in at least a fair fight.
    The Forum Herald™
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'm surprised other teams haven't lodged a complaint too. Any team that had drivers lapped and behind Verstapen were denied the opportunity to compete for places with those between Verstapen and Hamilton, so totally unfair for those teams, but I guess only Redbull matter.
  • yeah, would have been extra spicy if a team missed out on a chance to move up a spot in the constructors due to it, but i think that was pretty much settled already?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Am I right in thinking that Sainz had a car between him and Max? It's all hazy now.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Danny Ric was the car behind Max at the restart.
  • Sainz had also one stopped, so it's probable he wouldn't have been able to attack Max, but on a restart, you never really know, especially with what Lewis had to do to bunch everything up. Sainz might still have finished third, but caused Max enough problems to not get past Lewis.
  • Apparently the feeling is now Mercedes won’t appeal
    The Forum Herald™
  • I hope they have another opportunity to nail Massi to the fucking wall then.

Letting that stewards decision stand is utterly ludicrous. The FIA have to say that its complete bollocks, or the regulations are meaningless.
  • You don’t sound familiar with the levels of ego and pride in F1, there. No way are the FIA going to nail Massi to anything. That’d be like admitting they were wrong to hire him. No chance.
  • There was something that said that he was replacing a guy who basically did his job plus three others and that guy had a chance to become a dad of the sport before these cocky upstarts like Wolff and Horner were essentially more senior in terms of experience. It must be a tough job come into. 

You basically need a godfather in there whole will break the rules if you fuck around with him.
  • I hope they have another opportunity to nail Massi to the fucking wall then.

Letting that stewards decision stand is utterly ludicrous. The FIA have to say that its complete bollocks, or the regulations are meaningless.

Have you watched the Senna film Dante ?
    The Forum Herald™
  • I think Charlie Whiting could still do a better job now.

Pop, Jean Todt is stepping down so whoever replaces him won't have to worry about admitting wrongdoing. Stefano Domenicali also only came in this year, so Masi isnt his guy either.

I get that its a difficult job, and the previous guy literally wrote the regulations, and that Christian Horner is a cunt, but he had to know that what he was doing was not allowed at least after the race.
  • I think Charlie Whiting could still do a better job now..

I’m not sure the Ouija board could move that quick

T
    The Forum Herald™
  • The FIA have admitted the finale was a shitshow. They’re launching a review of safety car procedures in consultation with the teams and drivers, and ‘hope’ to wrap it up in time to adjust the rules for 2022.

So, er, exactly what we all expected them to do.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/articles/single-seaters/f1/f1-season-was-tarnished-by-abu-dhabi-safety-car-controversy-admits-fia
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    As long as the outcome is Masi never directs a race again then it won’t all be bad.
  • it doesn't solve the problem.
  • So they admit now their was
    Controversy but at the time said it
    Was fine ? Controversial!
    The Forum Herald™
  • In the article they avoid saying the decision was wrong. THey say things like the confusion and the chat from the team principles are causing an image problem.
  • Yeah there is no misunderstanding. We all understand the regulations weren't followed.

The onboards from all the drivers have come out and they are all saying 'what the fuck is going on?'
  • As suspected Mercedes have announced no further appeals
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!