• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    In that silly hypothetical with two applicants, you just pick the person you like the most. Else the person you think will earn you the most profit, if you're a Lorshugah type.

Racism might well come into it, but it's simply not a situation that prises racism from nonracists.

It’s not a silly hypothetical at all, it’s a genuine situation that can and does come up and which hiring managers should be trained to be able to deal with correctly if you don’t want your company to come up against a lawsuit.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Yikes. Just back from an afternoon and evening drinking gently in the garden.  Hope all is OK. I just skipped to the end.

Aye. 12th. Off today and tomorrow. Good weather hence the drinking.

Something that could be engineered to be a tourist attraction is unfortunately a outlet for bigots. Ireland being Ireland.

re racism. I do worry if I am unconsciously so. I made that comment earlier because I thought I had an indicator that I might not be unconsciously racist. It pleased me. I think we all have to work on it though.  We judge people all the time no matter what their colour. Their clothes, body shape etc...

Glad you had a great day

Don't worry, the fact you're thinking about it puts you light years ahead of many. In my opinion at least

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Don't worry, Davy. You might not feel like a racist, but you certainly look like one.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Odd post.
  • It's his style.
    Matt_82 wrote:
    Davy looks like a plantation owner.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    It’s not a silly hypothetical at all, it’s a genuine situation that can and does come up and which hiring managers should be trained to be able to deal with correctly if you don’t want your company to come up against a lawsuit.

It's hypothetical because it's clearly possible for nonracist hirers to choose on other criteria, of which there naturally will be, however minor. I'm not saying that a fuckton of racism doesn't occur in hiring, but that with a genuinely nonracist hirer there's nothing in your ostensible tiebreak that makes race matter.

It's like you're setting it up as an excuse to be a bit racist, when it's all on you if you are. We've long passed the point of decent people recognising and adapting our conditioning.

Is person A or B most likely to find another position quickly if I turn them away... Who lives closest; who's most likely to leave soonest; who seems most in need of a break...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Of course it’s possible for people for people to choose on other criteria, at no point did I intend to suggest otherwise. The point is that when it comes down to those fine margins, then it’s certainly possible for unconscious bias to affect the outcome even if the person doing the hiring was unaware of it being a factor.
  • Good on you son...

ZfyMHfd.png
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • And good on the hundreds of thousands of people who have amplified his message, too.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    *heavy sigh*

fFxGHoN.png

xVqi2p0.png

E6J9_fBXMAogYJI?format=jpg&name=900x900
  • Mings is front page on the BBC site.

Lets hope this builds. It is silly but footballers are very influential.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I saw that Rashford mural last night. Brilliant response
  • It goes to show the balance.
    1 idiot to deface it and dozens come to show the opposite feelings.
  • The Sun can fuck of with this as well.
    _119365131_sun-nc.png
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Matt_82 wrote:
    It's his style.
    Matt_82 wrote:
    Davy looks like a plantation owner.

Have a recipe for fried chicken I think might be popular....
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I don't think it applied to Davy's post and saw it as a bit of a knowledge bomb being dropped, virtue signaling to reap the right on high fives. I'm all for challenging shit behavior, but challenging non-shit behavior is pretty shitty in its own right. There wasn't anything wrong with Davy's original post, I'm sure loads of people are capable of watching the match (or a film) without making a mental note of what race did what...

I don't often agree with Sparky, but I agree with this. I didn't see anything wrong with Davy's post. I mean, the back patting bit aside (which is rife in the political threads here anyway), I think it's wrong to read anything more into his post.

Some people are going to have limited exposure to other races. 

I'm lucky to have lived and worked in multicultural environments, and still can't even say I have a good understanding of all the cultures I've had contact with. Let alone the ones I haven't. And no one should be expected to have a degree in anthropology to understand that any form of unprovoked harassment should be suitably punished.

And tbh, to challenge a dude of a certain age from Northern Ireland about the details of irrational hatred, is also a little tone deaf imo, but what do I know.

I write that, and now immediately think of Neelson (or whatever his name is).
    But I won't go there.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    We aren’t going to get very far in conversations like these if we keep viewing the raising of issues as challenges. Surely it’s better to take a more positive view of the intentions of the person making the observation? We’re a pretty tight knit group here, I think we should be able to discuss tricky issues without getting overly defensive (which, to be clear, I’m not accusing Davy of).
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    And I think it would be better if Davy was able to bring stuff into the thread for discussion without an immediate "I'm not accusing you of anything, but..."
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If I ever said anything in here that could be construed as problematic, I’d hope that would be the first response I’d receive.
  • The UK Yesterday was a joke.

UK: Racism is bad

Also UK: Here's a lovely state sponsored Racism parade, here's a giant Racisim bonfire, with council funding, run by loyalist paramilitaries, despite being illegal in every possible way.

BBC News: Nada. Literally didn't cover NI at all.

BBC News NI: schizophrenic takes on the parades and bonfires. Also a 17 y/o boy managed to light himself on fire. Critical in hospital. And a bonfire collapsed onto the road.

Followed by "The Twelfth". All the fun from around the "province".

Just to reiterate, this is not an Irish thing. This is a UK thing. Your country.
    You don't cover it, you don't show it in the "mainland". But it happens, in the UK, not Ireland.

Keep Antrim Tidy. Yup.
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    If I ever said anything in here that could be construed as problematic, I’d hope that would be the first response I’d receive.

I'd hope that my pals weren't breaking their necks to misconstrue what I'm saying
  • I'm surprised you have any pals.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

I'd hope that my pals weren't breaking their necks to misconstrue what I'm saying

They’re clearly not if they aren’t accusing you of anything.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    kneecap wrote:
    The UK Yesterday was a joke.

UK: Racism is bad

Also UK: Here's a lovely state sponsored Racism parade, here's a giant Racisim bonfire, with council funding, run by loyalist paramilitaries, despite being illegal in every possible way.

BBC News: Nada. Literally didn't cover NI at all.

BBC News NI: schizophrenic takes on the parades and bonfires. Also a 17 y/o boy managed to light himself on fire. Critical in hospital. And a bonfire collapsed onto the road.

Followed by "The Twelfth". All the fun from around the "province".

Just to reiterate, this is not an Irish thing. This is a UK thing. Your country.
    You don't cover it, you don't show it in the "mainland". But it happens, in the UK, not Ireland.

Keep Antrim Tidy. Yup.

We do get fuck all coverage of Northern Ireland over here unless there’s serious unrest. I don’t even know what The Twelfth is, I’m afraid.
  • Yossarian wrote:

Like you are with Frosty you mean?
  • https://www.reddit.com/r/northernireland/comments/oiw1gt/lighting_a_massive_bonfire/

Thats NSFL. A boy lit himself on fire with petrol at one of them last night. Poor bastard is in a induced coma in hospital. And it didn't even make the news.

The Twelfth is a Celebration of William of Orange defeating King James? In Ireland (Not even in the north lol) in 1609.

It's actually smaller and calmer than in years gone by, but it's still totally unacceptable in normal countries.

Some people are trying to turn it into a non racist event but I don't see how it's possible, Loyalism is built on supremecy. That's the entire problem.
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I hate the 12th so much. Not just from being in Glasgow where outside my student flats was also the practice ground for the local Order, but having Northern Irish catholics in my immediate family really makes me worry about them.

I'm not sure it's a "racism" issue though as the question isn't about race, but more a sectarian one. I'm under no illusions that my "ilk" are also and have done bad stuff - including some extended family members, but the build up to and date of 12 July is a worry for my cousins and family, some of whom live near places like Shankhill.
  • Neither Davy nor Frosty did say anything wrong tho.
    We should be aware of how the right/conservatives misconstrue our arguments in the racism and discrimination debate. This inability cost Corbyn his head and Starmer still has trouble dealing with it.

Hence a faltering Labour with no recovery in sight.

Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!