Racist
  • Actually I will go further than say Change.org does nothing. I think it enables the government to pretend they care.
    They at most will open an investigation, shove some croney on the job on our cash. Have a cabinet reshuffle, ditch the report before it released and forget all about it.

Our government isn't fit to tackle these issues because they don't care/benefit from them/cause them in the first place.
  • It's all about having a conversation in good faith with one another. It's when the conversation isn't in good faith and the trolling starts shit goes wrong. It's fine to be aware of your (lack of?) bias but it's also good to be aware of society's bias as well.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    There wasn’t a “challenge” to Davy’s post, there was some knowledge being shared in a polite and respectful way.

Dunno like. He was accused of using dangerous language while expressing his thoughts on how he felt learning about the racist abuse the england lads were subjected to. Felt like he was being pulled up to me
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Actually I will go further than say Change.org does nothing. I think it enables the government to pretend they care. They at most will open an investigation, shove some croney on the job on our cash. Have a cabinet reshuffle, ditch the report before it released and forget all about it. Our government isn't fit to tackle these issues because they don't care/benefit from them/cause them in the first place.

I've seen what happens to petitions under this government too, but if someone puts one under my nose, and I believe in it, I do sign.

That's not the very best we can do, but it's something.
    If we're honest about it, it's a little better than just discussing it on an anonymous board.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    There wasn’t a “challenge” to Davy’s post, there was some knowledge being shared in a polite and respectful way.

Dunno like. He was accused of using dangerous language while expressing his thoughts on how he felt learning about the racist abuse the england lads were subjected to. Felt like he was being pulled up to me

You mean in the polite follow up post where Frosty made it clear that he wasn’t accusing Davy of anything and later edited in that dangerous was probably the wrong word to use?
  • [We have discussed it, many times, in this thread and others. I don't think it applied to Davy's post and saw it as a bit of a knowledge bomb being dropped, virtue signaling to reap the right on high fives.

I can help you out here, this is complete and utter bollocks.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Not Dante.

Why is it bollocks Dante? Is that an absolute impossibility?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Okay.

I fail to see your issue with anything that’s been said in this thread.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That's fine
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Frosty wrote:
    I'm not accusing you here but I think it's something to be aware of when saying things like that.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Look at the big fat but there, totally negating everything that went before it
  • I think Paul has a point. I don't think anyone really pulled up Davy and it was all polite, but the follow up comments are very much in the vein of " you might think you aren't racist, but subconsciously you are" and I dont think that's a great place to go. Kinda feels like there is always some level further to go.

Davy said he didn't think of the colour of the skin of the players. That seems the ideal place for an individual to be.
    SFV - reddave360
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Actually I will go further than say Change.org does nothing. I think it enables the government to pretend they care. They at most will open an investigation, shove some croney on the job on our cash. Have a cabinet reshuffle, ditch the report before it released and forget all about it. Our government isn't fit to tackle these issues because they don't care/benefit from them/cause them in the first place.

I've seen what happens to petitions under this government too, but if someone puts one under my nose, and I believe in it, I do sign.

That's not the very best we can do, but it's something.
    If we're honest about it, it's a little better than just discussing it on an anonymous board.

I am very aware that I am a whitey lecturing on the best moves to tackle racism on said forum as well.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The racism I'm talking about did indeed occur after the event, and not in Davy's mind as he watched it
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message

But it doesn’t.

RedDave2 wrote:
    " you might think you aren't racist, but subconsciously you are" and I dont think that's a great place to go.

Couldn’t disagree with this more.

Examining unconscious bias is absolutely a useful tool, and one that I would encourage everyone to do. My work has unconscious bias training as a mandatory training module, and we’re far from alone, many, many businesses in the U.K. do the same.
  • I didn't say it wasn't useful , I actually think it's an interesting concept. But having a bias towards someone is a sizable step from bring racist towards someone.

Taking your job example, let's say equal people show up and one is black and one is white and I hire the white person because I feel I identify with them more. OK, that might be unfair but if 2 white people showed up , one will still benefit from some connection with me. And if 2 black people reached are the final two, I'd still be hiring a black person. Racism (to me) would be to not hire the black person because of their skin or to hire a lesser white person over a more qualified black person.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

But it doesn’t.

RedDave2 wrote:
    " you might think you aren't racist, but subconsciously you are" and I dont think that's a great place to go.

Examining unconscious bias is absolutely a useful tool, and one that I would encourage everyone to do. My work has unconscious bias training as a mandatory training module, and we’re far from alone, many, many businesses in the U.K. do the same.

Hey Yoss, I'm not accusing you of having bad breath and poor dental hygiene, but have you ever thought about brushing your teeth?

Examining unconscious bias is exactly what Davy was doing by sharing his thoughts after learning about the racist tweets, wasn't it?

Then he got lectured at for it. Bit off to me but you're free to disagree
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Edit: just a thought - for those of you saying that we do see skin tone and our reactions are subconscious - do you believe your own subconscious to have a racist bias? Do you make a judgement on a person based on their skin tone alone, positively or negatively?

If you don't, why do you assume that the default is for others that they do?

Yes I know I have biases, based on both my own past experiences, media portrayals, and hearsay from friends/colleagues. Being aware of them is essential, else I cannot challenge those biases and correct for them

I assume anyone who thinks they have no bias is simply unaware of them, and as such very unlikely to ever confront and change them

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    DrewMerson wrote:
    The racism I'm talking about did indeed occur after the event, and not in Davy's mind as he watched it

No, you saw some of the racism after the event. Are you telling me that as those players were stepping up they weren’t thinking at all about the racism they have been subjected to already, and the extra abuse that would come their way if they failed?

I've never mentioned what was going through the player's minds. What is your point here?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Yeah, the term virtue-signalling can fuck off into the sun. Such a nasty and small-minded way to try to undermine people.

Yes it can be used to insult people and I know a few idiots that use it for that. It does have a meaning though, and someone yelling about racism right now with all the hashtags, yet talking about "bloody cheating eyeties" last night

I'm starting to have an issue with the term "racist" itself. It reinforces the myth that there are different races, which helps breed division. Dehumanising someone makes abusing them much easier. But I can imagine the backlash if that discussion were to happen on certain fora
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

But it doesn’t.

RedDave2 wrote:

Hey Yoss, I'm not accusing you of having bad breath and poor dental hygiene, but have you ever thought about brushing your teeth?

I’m afraid that I don’t see the link between this sentence and the previous sentence except for the fact that it has but in the middle of it. Not every sentence containing the word “but” has a second half that negates the first, but it’s true that some do.
    Examining unconscious bias is exactly what Davy was doing by sharing his thoughts after learning about the racist tweets, wasn't it?

Then he got lectured at for it. Bit off to me but you're free to disagree

No, that’s not examining unconscious bias, and I don’t think Davy got lectured.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    I didn't say it wasn't useful , I actually think it's an interesting concept. But having a bias towards someone is a sizable step from bring racist towards someone.

Taking your job example, let's say equal people show up and one is black and one is white and I hire the white person because I feel I identify with them more. OK, that might be unfair but if 2 white people showed up , one will still benefit from some connection with me. And if 2 black people reached are the final two, I'd still be hiring a black person. Racism (to me) would be to not hire the black person because of their skin or to hire a lesser white person over a more qualified black person.

It’s a continuum between unconscious bias and systematic racism in society which then leads to actual instances of racism, and more unconscious bias.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The fella got a quote from a training session chucked at him and he wasn't being lectured? Hey, fair enough. Agree to disagree
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    DrewMerson wrote:
    I've never mentioned what was going through the player's minds. What is your point here?

My point is that it’s not remotely helpful to describe the racist abuse as being ‘after the event’. There’s an increase, and it gets more attention. But it’s easy for most of us, because if we want, we can switch off to it then only be outraged on an occasional basis when the level of abuse peaks and is considered newsworthy. My point is that while it’s laudable that someone holds no racist views and isn’t thinking about a player’s race while watching football, in doing so it fails to recognise that those players don’t have that luxury. My point is that talking about the problem is not introducing a problem that didn’t exist until it was spoken about, as has been suggested in this thread.

Who suggested racism and racist abuse didn't exist until it was spoken about? Me?

Some funny old takes in this thread like
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I get the point about white privilege but nobody argued against that anywhere as far as I can see so it's another tangent innit?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    I am very aware that I am a whitey lecturing on the best moves to tackle racism on said forum as well.

Heck, the most memorable petition I could ever remember signing, was one about the treatment Falun Gong prisoners in the middle of Chinatown.

I was actually somewhat 'culturally aware' of the differences between the Falun Gong movement and wider Chinese society when I signed it, but 'cultural awareness' didn't help me sign that petition.

I digress. One group of people should not be able to use the excuse of a bad penalty shootout, as an excuse to treat a large number of people like shit. 'Cultural awareness' is not necessary to divine the truth, or a remedial course of action for this problem.

I find it frustrating to see people put so much effort into ignoring, excusing and obfuscating that though.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!