NieR Automata - New game from PlatinumGames
  • Finished my second playthrough and so I guess this is happening now huh. Shiiiiiiiit.

Yup!

Was waiting for that.

:D :D :D
  • Also...you're gonna come to one of the only parts of the game I didn't like. But once it's over, it's over.
  • I played the demo - it seems good!

But Warhammer just announced new Dwarves so no NieR for me!
  • I had another hour or two on this and I'm getting more into it now. I found how to get to the next marker instantly this time so we'll file my previous problems under 'player stupidity'. 

It's wrong to say I'm in two minds about it, it is a good game. But going in I thought I'd probably end up just wishing it was a pure platinum action game without the RPG bits. I'm still not completely convinced but its early days. I'm enjoying the pure unadulterated batshitedness of the whole thing, specifically
    Spoiler:
    Combat is nice and satisfying, the robots give good explosive feedback when you smack 'em up good. The camera is a bit of an issue sometimes. It's not that easy to see what's around me so I don't go into crowds of enemies too hard because you easily get jumped from your blindspots. It's not perfect when it does it's switching game modes things either, as you can end up in a right state when it puts you back in more traditional 3D combat mode. 

Anyway, it's good and, when it works well, it works really really well.
  • What's going on with the dead body looting? These are other players that have died? I've just been looting their stuff but it occurred to me they might be coming back to their bodies to get it. I'm not up with these souls-type mechanics.
  • Yeah it's like souls ish. Not sure if it has greater implications as yet though...
    I haven't died much so haven't had others pick me up yet. Probably should be playing on hard but I'm enjoying seeing the story through atm
  • OMG now
    Spoiler:
  • OMG now
    Spoiler:

Haha, glad you're liking it!
  • Was the bad bit
    Spoiler:
  • Was the bad bit
    Spoiler:

Yup.
  • Now that this is out on PC, the RPS review is up.
    Their verdict? Recommend, they loved it. Recommended.

A quote:
    Having unlocked just a few of the endings (some are more like chapter breaks than endings, many are punchlines or small oddities), I feel like I’ve feasted on a ten-course meal. Some of the food turned to ashes in my mouth, but only when that was by design. From its always-magnificent but alternately triumphant and mournful score to its massive intricate bosses and moments of bleak horror, Automata is a superbly controlled game. It gives you freedom to explore, to collect, to fight and to much about, but it always has one hand on the tiller and the other on that camera, directing the action and observing your every move.

It’s rare to see such ambitious storytelling and open world roleplaying tied to such a stylish combat system, not to mention the (optional) Souls-like multiplayer elements, shooter tangents, mini-games that punctuate rather than interrupting, and that big ol’ world to explore. You don’t need to have played any of Yoko Taro’s previous games to appreciate Automata, even though it has links to both Drakengard and (of course) the original Nier, but it’ll probably make you keen to seek them out. Me? I’m hoping Platinum get a chance to work with these worlds and words again. A thousand ideas, delivered in rapid succession, backed by action that is the thread that stitches everything together rather than an interruption between one story beat and the next.
  • i'm not really feeling the open worldliness of this game. You can go anywhere, but some areas are flooded with bad guys much higher levels than you are to provide some sort of arbitrary 'door', which basically means doing a 180 and backtracking. 

It's mostly my fault as i'm getting distracted but it is a bit annoying, i'd much rather they actually cordon off areas until you get to the appropriate story missions.
  • Isn't that most open world rpg type games though?

I think I'm nearing the end. Maybe. Who knows with this game.
  • Smang wrote:
    i'm not really feeling the open worldliness of this game. You can go anywhere, but some areas are flooded with bad guys much higher levels than you are to provide some sort of arbitrary 'door', which basically means doing a 180 and backtracking. 

It's mostly my fault as i'm getting distracted but it is a bit annoying, i'd much rather they actually cordon off areas until you get to the appropriate story missions.

Hmmm, that's a weird one - I can't remember something like that happening... can you give me an example of a particular place where you encountered that? I'm not doubting you, I'm just wondering if I forgot or not.
  • Isn't that most open world rpg type games though?

I think I'm nearing the end. Maybe. Who knows with this game.

Still enjoying it?
  • Oh yeah definitely. It's still very good.

I like how
    Spoiler:

And I found a few places like smang. Mostly way off the beaten path and down an elevator or something.
    The
    Spoiler:
  • Smang wrote:
    i'm not really feeling the open worldliness of this game. You can go anywhere, but some areas are flooded with bad guys much higher levels than you are to provide some sort of arbitrary 'door', which basically means doing a 180 and backtracking.  It's mostly my fault as i'm getting distracted but it is a bit annoying, i'd much rather they actually cordon off areas until you get to the appropriate story missions.
    Hmmm, that's a weird one - I can't remember something like that happening... can you give me an example of a particular place where you encountered that? I'm not doubting you, I'm just wondering if I forgot or not.

i'm not entirely sure tbh, but there was one section that was either a crater or a cave. long spiralling route down to the bottom but it was filled with level 40 dudes and suicide bombers when i was around lv15. one other time i recall taking a lift deep down somewhere.
  • Yeah, regarding what smang said - that was my initial thought. But I didn't see those guys as anything other than...
    Spoiler:

They're usually not indicative of the rest of the enemies in an area. Hence why I asked, maybe there were places where the general level of enemies was too high to be tackled by the player.

I actually did the place you mentioned, Shabby, at quite a low level. Took ages, but really drove home how good the combat system is - if your reflexes are good enough, enemy level means nowt.
  • Smang wrote:
    Smang wrote:
    i'm not really feeling the open worldliness of this game. You can go anywhere, but some areas are flooded with bad guys much higher levels than you are to provide some sort of arbitrary 'door', which basically means doing a 180 and backtracking.  It's mostly my fault as i'm getting distracted but it is a bit annoying, i'd much rather they actually cordon off areas until you get to the appropriate story missions.

i'm not entirely sure tbh, but there was one section that was either a crater or a cave. long spiralling route down to the bottom but it was filled with level 40 dudes and suicide bombers when i was around lv15. one other time i recall taking a lift deep down somewhere.

Ah, cool - I know what you mean. Those areas are pretty much optional challenges, if I'm thinking about the right places.
  • Yeah I did too Cinty. Took a while but I got there
  • Ah, cool - I know what you mean. Those areas are pretty much optional challenges, if I'm thinking about the right places.

hmm, maybe ill have another go once i level up a bit. there were a few others as well that have subsequently shown to be 'doors' once i got to the relevant story mission. 

you're right about them being beatable, at higher levels the enemies don't seem to behave differently other than taking next to no damage and one hit killing me. just cba with a war of attrition, especially as a fuckup means i lose all my chips...
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    First playthrough completed. Second begun. It's all love. Well, except that my PS4 Pro sounds like damn jet engine when fighting hordes of enemies but other than that, it's such a beautifully realised experience.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • Silke wrote:
    First playthrough completed. Second begun. It's all love. Well, except that my PS4 Pro sounds like damn jet engine when fighting hordes of enemies but other than that, it's such a beautifully realised experience.

So happy you're enjoying it - it's the old Nier fans that deserved a great sequel and I know you had your worries. Also happy to see this game is doing so well.

I've completed my 2nd A route just now. Had a small break but back in it. Amazing game.
  • So just finished this.
    Spoiler:

Have you found many more endings? Is there different ones for finishing on hard do you know? I guess I could Google.
  • So just finished this.
    Spoiler:

Have you found many more endings? Is there different ones for finishing on hard do you know? I guess I could Google.

I had several other endings, but you got all the biggies.

As for that ending...
    Spoiler:

Edit:

And there are no other endings or achievements for hard plays.
  • Did you get an achievement for it?
  • Can this go very cheap soon please
  • Did you get an achievement for it?

I don't think so.
  • I played some yesterday. First area. Music so nice. City ruins look cool. Artistically great, if not technically great graphics.

Can tell the story is gonna be deep. I think.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!