NieR Automata - New game from PlatinumGames
  • monkey wrote:
    I've got this now. Doubt I'll get a chance for anything more than a few hours over the weekend though.

You say that but Shabby and I have both put in mega sessions on this. Once it clicks...
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    B just or if the blue said he really liked the look of this game. Didn't expect that, it's usually not his thing. Might be playing this earlier than anticipated.
  • I managed an hour or two on this. Played through the glorious opening level again, and then everything started getting really bad. The open-world on this is a real state, the map is absolutely useless. The game world is beautiful but it's pretty barren. Not a problem if you just want to get from point A to point B but I have actually no idea how to get to my next point B at this stage.

I just want to get into the awesome Platinum bits but square Enix seems to be insisting I play their half-broken, bare bones JRPG for long stretches between levels. Going to stick with it obviously but its been pretty disappointing so far. Spent a long time last night just doing two rubbish fetch quests and trying to navigate rubble while avoiding invisible walls.
  • The part after the prologue is the weakest - the early side quests are pretty weak. It gets better, keep with it.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    There's a boss in this I've seen on Twitch I absolutely fucking love. But the aesthetic isn't for me, sadly. Not even a sub-chalice.

Enjoy, those who get into it. And Cinty <3
  • There's a boss in this I've seen on Twitch I absolutely fucking love. But the aesthetic isn't for me, sadly. Not even a sub-chalice.

Enjoy, those who get into it. And Cinty <3

Which boss? Spoiler it, bro.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    There's a boss in this I've seen on Twitch I absolutely fucking love. But the aesthetic isn't for me, sadly. Not even a sub-chalice. Enjoy, those who get into it. And Cinty <3
    Spoiler:

I think its fairly early game, but surprised me completely.
  • There's a boss in this I've seen on Twitch I absolutely fucking love. But the aesthetic isn't for me, sadly. Not even a sub-chalice. Enjoy, those who get into it. And Cinty <3
    Spoiler:

I think its fairly early game, but surprised me completely.

Ah yeah, great boss. Nails on hard, though.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yup, said streamer has him down to a slither of health then got 1Hko
  • Yup, said streamer has him down to a slither of health then got 1Hko

Yup. So easy to have 1HKOs on hard, especially early on when you don't have enough chips for stat upgrades.
  • I still haven't played this. Only went day 1 cos a) helps the hype for this game and the creators have credit in the bank for Nier 1 and b) wanted that Emil tshirt.

I'm tempted to trade in the PS4 version and go full PC one.
  • I've grown to love the slightly bland open world. I think as you play it reveals the character of it all.

Game made me tear up the other day too. Stupid thing got a little too close to home at one point.
  • Game made me tear up the other day too. Stupid thing got a little too close to home at one point.

Oh?
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    My only real gripe so far are the controls, they never feel particularly comfortable. Though it definitely helped when I moved dash from R2 to L2, I'm still far from satisfied.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • Would've been better on the Bone controller for me.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    I'm inclined to agree. And I would have bought this for PC instead if I thought it could handle it. Which I don't, unfortunately.
  • Game made me tear up the other day too. Stupid thing got a little too close to home at one point.

Oh?
    Spoiler:

Oh?
    Spoiler:

Yeah, that was really impressive.
    Spoiler:
  • this isn't what i expected, it's more RPG than brawler so far. i'm getting a bit bored of trapsing from one side of the map to the other. i know it'll get better, but jeez i could kill for some sort of warping between save points.
  • Smang wrote:
    i could kill for some sort of warping between save points.

Regarding that...
    Spoiler:
  • i can warp back to the bunker, which is useless atm. i hope you mean between save points on a level...
  • Smang wrote:
    i can warp back to the bunker, which is useless atm. i hope you mean between save points on a level...
    Spoiler:
  • nice! thanks man. will make the current run-a-thon a bit more tolerable.
  • Yeah that's good news. Going to have a couple more hours on this later. Really feels like the sort of game that you need a few marathon sessions with but I'm just not going to be able to get it done that way.
  • There's a eurogamer article about how much extra game play there is after the end credits roll (hell of alot).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-03-10-why-you-should-play-nier-automata-after-the-first-playthrough
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    Minor control issues aside, and perhaps slightly too many slippery sand dunes, I am now officially in love with this game.
  • Silke wrote:
    Minor control issues aside, and perhaps slightly too many slippery sand dunes, I am now officially in love with this game.

Get in! :D
  • I think it just slowly sinks its teeth in. As all the parts slowly slot into place. I'm nearing the end of my second playthrough. I was making sure to finish as many of the side quests as possible. I think I'm up to about 70% mission completion. I think I'm going to need to find more movement speed chips to win these races though...
  • I think it just slowly sinks its teeth in. As all the parts slowly slot into place...

Exactly. It's got such an unusual structure that it's brilliance can't be immediately appreciated. It's a slow-burner in the best possible way.
  • Finished my second playthrough and so I guess this is happening now huh. Shiiiiiiiit.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!