PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    FFS
  • Look at it this way, you'll have the best 2018 out of anyone.
  • Kotaku review sounds lovely. 

The PS4 is really hitting its exclusive stride at the moment.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I reckon its all fun times from now 'til 2020 when CDPR's new Cyberpunk game comes out to the realisation it cost about $3 billion to make, 250,000 employees and it still runs at 30fps on PS5 (24fps on XBack) and the whole thing comes crashing down to the point we're all left playing Pong again.
  • It really is great. I can't remember the last game that made me smile like this from the writing. Maybe Persona 4.

Also the fact it runs at 60fps, albeit with fairly simple visuals and some hitches when it streams new areas, is a god send.
  • It really is great.

Besides one tiny blip, it gets better.

Reviewing super-well indeed - only behind BotW for 2017.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    March 17 for PC I think? Might grab this if I can't get a Switch, otherwise I'll grab it at a later point in the year. I usually don't buy PC games full price, as they'll drop too easily.

I haven't seen anything of this game, but it all sounds so good.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    FFS
    monkey wrote:
    Look at it this way, you'll have the best 2018 out of anyone.

:D
  • Gamespot:
    Thanks to Platinum Games' knack for riveting and gratifying combat, Automata is Yoko Taro's most exciting game to date. The combat mechanics click after hurdling a low learning curve, and the end result is a skillful dance where balletic dodges complement wushu-inspired aggression. Moreover, this multi-ending trip is generously peppered with surprises and revelations, as well as easter eggs that call back to the first game and the Drakengard series from which Nier spun off. It's a meaty, often exhilarating trek that showcases Platinum Games' and Yoko Taro's unique blend of genius.

Other review quotes from various sources:
    Imperfect, sometimes raw, willingly complex, NieR Automata comes so close to becoming a true masterpiece, thanks to its strong personality and the unique vision of Yoko Taro. Technically inadequate, engaging in its deep and ever-changing gameplay, NieR tells a story of robots and androids, and in doing so it tells a lucid, melancholic story of humanity.
    I can confidently say that Nier: Automata is the best Platinum game since Bayonetta 2, and that it progresses with such wonderfully rapid momentum that it's impossible to just pick up and play for an hour. If this were available on a portable console, I'd be miles past my stop for home before I noticed the mistake, so terrifically kinetic is the core campaign. I mean, the size of what you'll see, so quickly. You might want a friend nearby to fist-bump.
    Both its gameplay and plot are a dazzling set of perspective shifts that don't so much answer any of its questions as make you feel progressively weirder – and often sadder – about the meaning of what you're being asked. And each ending is really a new beginning, inviting you back to spend a little longer dwelling in its remarkably humane apocalypse; no matter how long you explore, you'll never be led to something you expect to find.
  • Other than being vaguely aware of its existence, this hasn't featured at all on my radar. I think I'd forgotten how much I like platinum games. Anyway, played the demo last night, loved every second, Day 1.
  • monkey wrote:
    Other than being vaguely aware of its existence, this hasn't featured at all on my radar. I think I'd forgotten how much I like platinum games. Anyway, played the demo last night, loved every second, Day 1.

Yeah, I think it was flying under a lot of people's radars. Nier fans seem super passionate and hardcore but I think word of mouth from the Japanese release has really amped up the anticipation on this, and now the reviews coming in are adding to that.

Also, the eurogamer review just got posted. It's a Recommended game.

Quote, spoilered as it has a structural spoiler in there (which is well known):
    Spoiler:

And the conclusion:
    Nier: Automata isn't the most elegant title on the market, but it's the most captivating game I've played in ages. You don't need to look far to find its glaring flaws, but those searching for an endlessly imaginative dreamlike journey will find Nier: Automata too mesmerising to look away from. There's nothing else quite like it - and that includes the original Nier.
  • Superbunnyhop did a good video on the weird plot of OG Nier, and Yoko Taro games in general, for those not in the know
  • The most interesting review so far.

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/nier_automata

Not sure I'm up for
    Spoiler:
    before it gets good.
    The Forum Herald™
  • TheDJR wrote:
    This is ridiculous

The thread?
    The Forum Herald™
  • I think he means the amount of stuff that needs buying.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Surely we can set up some sort of swap club for all this nonsense.
  • Bob wrote:
    The most interesting review so far.

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/nier_automata

Not sure I'm up for
    Spoiler:
    before it gets good.

Um, I don't know how much to say about that without spoiling it, so I'll do my best (I do talk about game length and the stuff in your spoiler here)...
    Spoiler:

I know it sounds weird, but trust me - I could explain it clearly, but it'd ruin some of the best parts in the game. It's worth it. It's not some optional extra - it's core to the very nature of the game itself. It's not something you've played before so you can't think of it like any other game. You just have to trust me here, sorry...you'll know what I mean when you get there. It's a leap of faith. Whatever you do though, don't spoil it for yourself.
  • I just can't remember this many good games coming out in the first quarter of a year, there's still Mass Effect and Persona to come ffs!
  • JRPC wrote:
    I think he means the amount of stuff that needs buying.

Ah, in which case he has a point.. although for me it's less the buying than the time to play.

Thanks Cinty.. I'll weigh that up in my mind.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    JRPC wrote:
    I think he means the amount of stuff that needs buying.

Ah, in which case he has a point.. although for me it's less the buying than the time to play.

Thanks Cinty.. I'll weigh that up in my mind.

Cool.

If you want to know how many times I've "completed" this game already.
    Spoiler:

Now blazing through on hard.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    I just can't remember this many good games coming out in the first quarter of a year, there's still Mass Effect and Persona to come ffs!

Easy fix...
    Spoiler:
  • JRPC wrote:
    TheDJR wrote:
    I just can't remember this many good games coming out in the first quarter of a year, there's still Mass Effect and Persona to come ffs!
    Easy fix...
    Spoiler:

:D genuine lol.
    The Forum Herald™
  • monkey wrote:
    Surely we can set up some sort of swap club for all this nonsense.

Yeah if only we had a Swap Club...
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Metacritic of 90!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Well I have to fucking buy this now don't I
  • Just hit credits for the first time. Probably should have seen it coming but didn't so still had some sub quests to mop up. Next play through I suppose.
  • Just hit credits for the first time. Probably should have seen it coming but didn't so still had some sub quests to mop up. Next play through I suppose.

Don't worry about the side quests, you'll see.

And congrats. :)

Thoughts so far?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!