Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • g.man wrote:
    I gather it's on Disney+ now, but I got it on the high seas.
    It is.
  • g.man wrote:
    So. Doctor Strange was really good fun. Contrived plot, lifted to great heights by winning performances from the leads, and Sam Raimi going full Sam Raimi, which you can inject into my eyes any day of the week. 
    Spoiler:
    All in all though, a big daft Sam Raimi rollercoaster of funtimes. Two thumbs up from me.

I felt the plots problems were all related to issues outside of the film - what had been set up before and how things needed to be left. Essentially something outside of Raimis control really. What I did really enjoy though as despite that the film kept the roller coaster interesting all the way to the end.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yeah, agree with that. Despite being hamstrung by the usual MCU bollocks, I though Raimi got the absolute best out of it.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • The Boys remains strong, wonderful, violent and asking all the right questions. Political as all hell, very self aware and a lovely palette cleanser on a friday morning. Loving it. 

Watch Sad Wanda with Blimperclamp Clingfilmlad and I liked it a whole lot too. 

Ms Marvel is wonderful. I like the main character a bunch and think is a very fun time show for me.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • My only niggle with the boys is the speed it runs through things. It's a rare show that feels like it could do with an extra episode or two. The cast and range of characters is such that an episode focused on b level characters like the deep would probably be grand.
    SFV - reddave360
  • g.man wrote:
    Yeah, agree with that. Despite being hamstrung by the usual MCU bollocks, I though Raimi got the absolute best out of it.
    Aye there was some quality Raimi moments (Bruce!) - not an MCU film for the little kids, so parent be warned to preview and check it out before showing it to your littler ones, as it goes a lot further than any of the MCU films have done so far with regards showing death/gore.

Good pacing throughout as well I thought - solid 20/30 min segment beats so it didn’t flag and rattled along.
  • Jesus. That was quite an episode of The Boys this week.
  • When it started with a warning, when the other episodes did not, I thought it would be a tougher watch than it was.

I still can’t get over that first episode of this season. It was like 10 minutes in!!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I saw it coming.
  • :D
  • Kow wrote:
    I saw it coming.

Lol I don’t think he got that far…
  • I’ve had to stop watching it for the night but I’m about halfway through Dr Strange. The opening octopus monster was textured so weirdly that it made it look a bit like a rubbery old movie monster and I’m not sure if it was intentional. Effing great though.
  • It reminded me of the claymation effects from the OG Evil Dead, so I assumed it was a Raimi thing.
  • I just watched Doc Strange 2, and just beforehand I was watching a couple of the What If? episodes (Covid isolation = watching some stuff Mrs Poprock has no interest in).

Is it just me seeing patterns, or did quite a few things from What If? show up in the movie?
  • I think what if was supposed to be some kind of set up for last Spider-Man and doc strange 2.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • The gf hates all horror and picked up on the vibe in this early doors. “I don’t think the camera needed to linger on a burnt corpse.”

No it didn’t. But it did anyway
  • I thought Strange 2 was ok. As others as said, Raimi was having a wail of a time... and it was very Evil Dead in many places which I enjoyed. That rubbery Octupus sequence actually gave me Spidey 2 (OG) vibes.

Not sure where it all goes from here. The after credits scenes never really make sense for me, so i'll probably have to Google the significance of it all.
  • I’ve watched it all now. Thought it was really solid. They went a bit more out there than usual and old Cumberbund always does a good job. Still a cookie cutter marvel movie at its heart. Bit too much of the flashy lights coming out of people’s hands special effect. I’d like them to try one of these things with nothing but practical effects just for the lols. Lost art I imagine.

It had a little touch of the Antmans. Where I’d like to see the movie if they’d gone absolutely wild with some of the ideas. The music fight thing was a good idea.
  • MCU is absolutely not Earth 616. Shame on Kevin Feige for letting that in there. Shame.
  • Not happy with that Reed Richards either. A bit of a douche.
  • Apparently Reed Richards was going to be Daniel Craig, but he dropped out because of the Pandemic.
  • Anyhoo. Sat down watch Shang Chi. 
    Everyone is speaking what I presume is Chinese, and the only subtitles on my rip are Czechoslovakian.
    FML.
    Back to the drawing board.
  • poprock wrote:
    I just watched Doc Strange 2, and just beforehand I was watching a couple of the What If? episodes (Covid isolation = watching some stuff Mrs Poprock has no interest in).

Is it just me seeing patterns, or did quite a few things from What If? show up in the movie?

I actually watched 2 episodes of what if? just because I heard they were required viewing for strange 2. I’m guessing you mean…
    Spoiler:
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Apparently there's a new Predator film coming out (crystal ball says it'll be shit, but I'll still watch it), which sent me down the rabbit hole, and there's a whole heap of super hero stuff on the horizon.

Take a deep breath...

Films
    DC League of Super Pets
    Black Adam
    Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
    Shazam! Fury of the Gods
    Batgirl
    Secret Invasion

Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania
    Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom
    The Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
    Spider-Man: Across the Spiderverse
    The Flash
    The Marvels
    Madame Web
    Blue Beetle
    Deadpool 3
    Black Canary

Fantastic Four

TBD
    Armor Wars
    Static Shock
    Blade
    Zatanna
    Ironheart
    Wonder Woman 3
    Superman
    Captain America 4

TV
    I am Groot
    The Sandman
    She-Hulk: Attorney at Law

Echo

TBD
    Green Lantern
    Silk
    Wakanda

Misc.
    The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special

I'm going to have to get my arse in gear. I haven't watched Doctor Strange: Multiverse of Madness, Wonder Woman 84, or Spider-Man: Far from Home (never mind No Way Home) yet. There's going to be some sofas with very deep butt grooves.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Will be interesting to see how interest holds for all this. Hopefully they find some form again with the quality. I really liked Ms Marvel because of how good the main characters were but the plotting was pretty clunky.
  • I can't see the public appeal holding to 2024, at least not sustaining the levels of prior years.
    I feel there is already a shift happening with films like Top Gun and Minions being super popular.

Smart studios will be looking at what they can start doing that is distinctly not super heros (can't compete with Marvel anyway). With GoT and LotR coming out next month maybe there will be a fantasy revival.
  • I really wouldn't bother with WW84, it's one of the worst films I've ever seen.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I can't see the public appeal holding to 2024, at least not sustaining the levels of prior years.
    I feel there is already a shift happening with films like Top Gun and Minions being super popular.

Smart studios will be looking at what they can start doing that is distinctly not super heros (can't compete with Marvel anyway). With GoT and LotR coming out next month maybe there will be a fantasy revival.

Dune as well
  • WW84 is brilliant in how bad it is. I was more entertained watching that than any post Endgame Marvel stuff, The Batman or any Snyder-verse stuff.

@Shabby good shout
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I can't see the public appeal holding to 2024, at least not sustaining the levels of prior years. I feel there is already a shift happening with films like Top Gun and Minions being super popular. Smart studios will be looking at what they can start doing that is distinctly not super heros (can't compete with Marvel anyway). With GoT and LotR coming out next month maybe there will be a fantasy revival.

How would Top Gun and Minions not have been super popular in any year of the MCU? The Despicable Me films absolutely rake in cash. 2 made just under a billion and 3 just over a billion. The previous standalone Minions film made over a billion.

If you were going to make an argument for something that's a bit different, 2 video game based films have done pretty well this year in Sonic 2 and Uncharted.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!