Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • You can push it too far even for the non-casuals, if they're following the model of the comics. It worked at first, back in the day. Getting me into other titles because characters would pop up in Spider-Man, and they'd reference what was going on with them, and the stories would overlap and I wanted to keep up with what was happening. But it gets overwhelming. 

Even something that should have been core like Amazing Spider-Man or Uncanny X-Men can, between issues, start in a completely different place than it was left last time. And unless you've bought and read the previous month's New Mutants or Cloak And Dagger or some other random thing, you're locked out of part of the story. Or worse, you have to go and buy one of those to see the conclusion. And that's not even including the big event crossovers they had, which became an absolute mess. Eventually I just stopped caring.

The MCU isn't at that stage yet but they're spreading it out and the quality is really poor for some of it. The tvs shows especially.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I suppose that the one advantage that Disney does have is that all of the constituent parts of the stories (aside from Spider-Man) are on Disney+, so you only need one sub to be able to catch up on everything you’re going to need to know.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I suppose that the one advantage that Disney does have is that all of the constituent parts of the stories (aside from Spider-Man) are on Disney+, so you only need one sub to be able to catch up on everything you’re going to need to know.

Ah but this ignores the one commodity I don't have a lot of... Time. TV shows are at least 6 episodes of 45 minutes. If they want me to watch it , it needs to be good. I think a block buster movie is way more disposable, where as serial TV requires Time invested (somewhat nullified if you binge but still)

If disney want this to work, I recommend they move to 4 part TV shows and really work on the quality. It's OK, but it's far from tip top TV that is abundant.

SFV - reddave360
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    They aren’t going to change direction until the masses stop turning up in droves. Strange 2 had its flaws but I still enjoyed it.

My mate, not a movie fan in general, just got Disney+. First film he watched in the MCU? - Endgame, he was asking why Hulk was in it.
    Things can only get better.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've got an empty the night as F and C at mother in laws. Debating doing the Pattman but that's the night done if I do....
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I've got an empty the night as F and C at mother in laws. Debating doing the Pattman but that's the night done if I do....

True, but R-Patz.
  • It’s really good
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    In Patzman 2 I hope they give him quieter Batboots, quite the racket approaching goons.
    Things can only get better.
  • What do you mean different rules?

I maybe used the wrong wording, but it seems weird that they are all ‘multiverse’ but get there in completely different ways. For Loki it made a lot of sense and the last episode got me super excited.

But then for spider-man it was based around a random spell going wrong… not much to do with how it was presented before. And if the spidermen are all different ‘variants’ after all, then how were they allowed by the TVA so long? And end of spider-man no way home
    Spoiler:

God I’m a nerd, it doesn’t really matter in the end. I do enjoy these films, I just feel they maybe bit off more than they could chew this time around, and the tv stuff is muddying things up somewhat?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I like it cosmic. Definitely some pretty major plot holes when you start introducing these reality spanning concepts.
    Spoiler:
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm gonna do the Patzman
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's very good. Although I have heard negative reviews from IRL folk, fuck knows what they were wanting from it. I might watch it again
    I maybe used the wrong wording, but it seems weird that they are all ‘multiverse’ but get there in completely different ways. For Loki it made a lot of sense and the last episode got me super excited. But then for spider-man it was based around a random spell going wrong… not much to do with how it was presented before. And if the spidermen are all different ‘variants’ after all, then how were they allowed by the TVA so long? And end of spider-man no way home
    Spoiler:
    God I’m a nerd, it doesn’t really matter in the end. I do enjoy these films, I just feel they maybe bit off more than they could chew this time around, and the tv stuff is muddying things up somewhat?
    The last Spider-Man has almost more plot holes than plot so it's probably futile making sense of it. But on the unspoiled bit, I think because of Loki, the timelines are all out there now when they weren't previously. And they're all going to start bleeding into each other and taking each other over. Hence the creation of the TVA in the first place. Like maybe Strange's spell wouldn't have had that effect pre-Loki. Maybe. The next Antman is probably a quantum multiverse situation so that's going to mess it up even more.
    On the rest
    Spoiler:
    God I’m a nerd
    Not me. I'm real cool.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Re: monkey's spoiler
    Spoiler:
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Spoiler:
    God I’m a nerd
    Not me. I'm real cool.
    Spoiler:

Fuck knows cock nose
    I maybe used the wrong wording, but it seems weird that they are all ‘multiverse’ but get there in completely different ways. For Loki it made a lot of sense and the last episode got me super excited. 

But then for spider-man it was based around a random spell going wrong… not much to do with how it was presented before. And if the spidermen are all different ‘variants’ after all, then how were they allowed by the TVA so long? And end of spider-man no way home
    Spoiler:

Well it's worth remembering that No Way Home is post Loki. So if Strange's spell gone wrong wasn't part of The Sacred Timeline, it would have been erased, except because Sylvie killed He Who Remains the whole TVA has changed. We see the branching timelines starting after that.
  • Spoiler:
    God I’m a nerd
    Not me. I'm real cool.
    Spoiler:
    Fuck knows cock nose
    Ok so yeah it's this. I remember Hulk explaining how it didn't work but wasn't clear on how it did.
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Re: monkey's spoiler
    Spoiler:
    Don't think we need to spoiler this still but never mind.
    Spoiler:
  • I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Well, that looks like good, dumb fun.
  • Does look fun. Once again the effects do look a bit ropey. Seems weird considering how good tv effects are these days and the connections that Marvel should have in the VFX world that they're not better. Loki was too notch but everything else has felt a bit low budget
  • I’ll give it a try. Big fan of Maslany anyway, after Orphan Black.
  • New Thor Trailer.  Black and White Bale, Lady Thor and general silliness:

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Sold.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Sold.

Same. As disenfranchised by the current marvel output I'm a total mark again once a proper movie trailer comes out.

Except for eternal, even the trailers looked shit.

SFV - reddave360
  • That looks rubbish. And brilliant at the same time.
  • Suffered through Morbius last night, purely for curiosity’s sake. Wowzers that’s a stinker.
  • Sony do make rotten movies. I think venom only gets a pass because of Tom Hardy and spider man was saved by effectively being a marvel movie.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The Spider-Men films weren’t effectively Marvel movies, they were Marvel movies with a Sony title card slapped on the front.
  • True. Not nearly enough viao product placement.
    SFV - reddave360
  • most marvel stuff i lost interest in long ago, but new Thor has my attention. really enjoyed ragnarok and this seems to be following that style nicely
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!