Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Also, Shang-Chi was decent. Worth a watch, I’d say.
    Everything in Phase4 might be fine. I might even get round to watching some of it some day. My point is that for people like me it's a harder sell because we have no investment with the characters from our childhood the way we did with the classic Marvel stuff.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g, you've sat through so much utter shite, just give Ms Marvel a go.
  • I'm very picky about the garbage I watch :D
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Please don't watch Eternals. You'll thank me.
  • I am really enjoying Ms Marvel!  Surprising as I thought the trailer looked shit.  Ep 3 was great!  But yeah, the villans (reveal) was a bit disappointing/shit.  I was like, what?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • b0r1s wrote:

This.  It is utter shite.

Shang-Chi was brilliant.  It has Tony Leung in it, what more could you want?!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep Shang-Chi was fun.
  • I might watch that one then.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm enjoying Ms Marvel with Nate. Eternals was good too but Nate wasn't a fan
  • I never heard of Guardians but they became top tier, so Shang-Chi and other unknowns get given benefit of doubt from me.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    This.  It is utter shite. Shang-Chi was brilliant.  It has Tony Leung in it, what more could you want?!

I'd be in the same camp as elf. Was surprised how good Shand-Chi was. And Doctor Strange is great fun (just dont think about it for too long)

I think Marvel suffers similar to the Star Wars. Who is it aimed at? Is it possible in a combined narrative universe to have shows and movies that appeal to kids, appeal to adults, appeal to casuals and appeal to invested fans? I'm not sure. When you have characters with such insane abilities running around its hard to attach gravitas to dramatic moments. Characters die but than come back, Plot armour is everywhere until it isnt. You really just have to go with the ride and hope there is enough good stuff to help you ignore the glaring plot and logic problems that are inherrent in a world that is filled with super powers.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    I think Marvel suffers similar to the Star Wars. Who is it aimed at? Is it possible in a combined narrative universe to have shows and movies that appeal to kids, appeal to adults, appeal to casuals and appeal to invested fans?

Based on the insane amount of money the MCU has raked in over the course of almost fifteen years, I’d have to say that the answer is a resounding yes.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I think Marvel suffers similar to the Star Wars. Who is it aimed at? Is it possible in a combined narrative universe to have shows and movies that appeal to kids, appeal to adults, appeal to casuals and appeal to invested fans?
    Based on the insane amount of money the MCU has raked in over the course of almost fifteen years, I’d have to say that the answer is a resounding yes.

Definitely they found the fine line up to Endgame. I think its been hard for them since. Its hard to tell as movies underperformance is as much due to covid restrictions as anything. But even the fanbase seems a bit more divided as to what's working with the shows as well. Certainly its still a juggernaut (like star wars) but its a hard juggling act keeping everyone entertained.

To put that in perspective according to IMdb, the new range of movies are back at early phase 1 levels with the exception of Spider Man Highest Grossing MCU Movies Worldwide - IMDb

I dont think Strange 2 is in there and will be interesting to see how Thor performs.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Any underperformance at the box office could well be Covid-related, and is likely offset for Disney by the massive success of Disney+, which has the MCU as one of its key draws.

Having said all of that, at some point the public will get bored and move on, it’s inevitable. Whether we’ve reached that point or not, we probably won’t know for a while.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Definitely they found the fine line up to Endgame. I think its been hard for them since. Its hard to tell as movies underperformance is as much due to covid restrictions as anything. But even the fanbase seems a bit more divided as to what's working with the shows as well. Certainly its still a juggernaut (like star wars) but its a hard juggling act keeping everyone entertained. To put that in perspective according to IMdb, the new range of movies are back at early phase 1 levels with the exception of Spider Man Highest Grossing MCU Movies Worldwide - IMDb I dont think Strange 2 is in there and will be interesting to see how Thor performs.

Strange has done better than the original at the box office - it's the tenth MCU film to get more than 400 million domestically, and looks to be likely to have a worldwide gross of just under 1 billion. That keeps it, I think, just outside the top 10 but is still pretty good, especially given Covid, and the fact it's been banned in multiple countries (China, some middle Eastern countries, and not showing in Russia).

The new Top Gun has performed better at the cinema this year, but that's it. (Though Jurassic World: Dominion's inexplicable popularity might change that I guess.)
  • @Yoss True - I'm still willing to take a chance on a marvel flick. For the most part, bar the very worst I get a kick out of them. Just feel they have boxed themselves into an awkward hole by having everything connected.

Why was Strange 2 banned in China?
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Why was Strange 2 banned in China?

https://www.businessinsider.com/doctor-strange-sequel-latest-marvel-movie-shut-out-of-china-2022-5
    The "Doctor Strange" sequel is the fifth MCU entry in a row to be shut out of China. All four of 2021's releases — "Black Widow," "Shang-Chi," "Eternals," and "Spider-Man: No Way Home" — were never released there.

In its five-year film plan that it laid out last year, the China Film Administration made it a priority for local films to account for the majority of annual box office going forward. 

In Marvel's case, most of the movies have faced online controversy in China that impeded their release.

"Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness" faced criticism for a scene that features a newspaper kiosk with the Epoch Times, which opposes the Chinese government, according to Deadline.

Chinese film officials wanted the Statue of Liberty removed from "No Way Home," Puck's Matthew Belloni reported, which would alter the movie's entire climax.

"Eternals" director Chloé Zhao, who was born in China, faced criticism from Chinese nationalists over a 2013 interview in which she said "there are lies everywhere" in the country.

2017 comments made by "Shang-Chi" star Simu Liu resurfaced on Chinese social media last year in which he called China a "third world" country.

Not all of the movies faced widespread criticism. "Black Widow" was delayed until May last year, during a typical "blackout" of foreign films in China during the summer movie season.
  • That Spider Man one is funny - why should the Statue of liberty be an issue? 

I'm always curious how my perception of what i think China is and how it actual is differ. I reckon I'm about 50% accurate.
    SFV - reddave360
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Strange has done better than the original at the box office - it's the tenth MCU film to get more than 400 million domestically, and looks to be likely to have a worldwide gross of just under 1 billion. That keeps it, I think, just outside the top 10 but is still pretty good, especially given Covid, and the fact it's been banned in multiple countries (China, some middle Eastern countries, and not showing in Russia). The new Top Gun has performed better at the cinema this year, but that's it. (Though Jurassic World: Dominion's inexplicable popularity might change that I guess.)

Dr Strange is beating Top Gun worldwide, though the latter came out 3 weeks later, so we'll see how it shakes out.

It's done nearly $200 million more than The Batman.
  • I think that list of reasons for Marvel films to be ‘banned in China’ is reaching a bit, really.

Much more likely that there’s Chinese rules about prioritising Chinese-made or China-set movies when deciding which films get a cinema release in the country. Sounds like they routinely prioritise Chinese films during the summer, and that it may have started happening all year round.

Isn’t this why franchises like Fast & Furious or Mission Impossible started including big sequences set and shot in China? To get on to the list of ‘local’ films?
  • Was Batman a success anyone?
  • poprock wrote:
    I think that list of reasons for Marvel films to be ‘banned in China’ is reaching a bit, really.

Much more likely that there’s Chinese rules about prioritising Chinese-made or China-set movies when deciding which films get a cinema release in the country. Sounds like they routinely prioritise Chinese films during the summer, and that it may have started happening all year round.

Isn’t this why franchises like Fast & Furious or Mission Impossible started including big sequences set and shot in China? To get on to the list of ‘local’ films?

Yeah, Looper, Monster Hunter and a bunch of others are now Chinese “co-productions” too. There’s a quota each year of the number of fully foreign films that can get released here. Not doubting the censors are strict too, but a film not getting released in China isn’t a huge thing, especially as many of them later get permission to run on local streaming services.
  • 我沒有看到它起飛.
  • Heh.

I’ll ignore the dirty traditional Chinese right there, as that was good.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Thanks Yoss.
  • Watched Dr strange 2 last night. Cannot see why it got such mixed reviews, I really really liked it. I also really liked the first one I guess.

Could also be that evil dead 2 is one of my top films of all time, could also be that Olsen is always fantastic, could also be that
    Spoiler:
  • So. Doctor Strange was really good fun. Contrived plot, lifted to great heights by winning performances from the leads, and Sam Raimi going full Sam Raimi, which you can inject into my eyes any day of the week. 
    Spoiler:
    All in all though, a big daft Sam Raimi rollercoaster of funtimes.
    Two thumbs up from me.
  • Is Strange 2 available to stream already? Blimey. Thats tonights viewing sorted then.
  • I gather it's on Disney+ now, but I got it on the high seas.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!