Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • It's not so much that it's marvel or Thor, but it's a new Taika Waititi film that makes it exciting.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • They say you can't polish a turd but I think Sam Raimi might just have with Dr strange 2. Poor plot and set up but it turns into one of the most fun marvel films in a while, it has some wonderful visuals (not just special effects but the actual way Raimi uses the camera) good acting (for what it is) and some great set pieces. Plus, no sky beams.

Everything I didn't like effectively comes from the actual marvel universe hubris. But once you park the brain, it's the closest marvel have gotten to a horror and really just good stuff.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I too enjoyed the Raimi make a marvel. Made me jump once, and lots of other horror-esque moments in there. At least you could see his style in the film, unlike other ones where they get some big name/hype director but it could be anyone directing them.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yes but is it Morbin time
  • Reg you are too online officially and must desist
  • Haven't seen morbin time but from what I've heard it's the most morbin of the marvel movies. With bonus Sony product placement.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Hand of the ball
  • I watched Ms Marvel with the kids and was really pleasantly surprised. It’s clearly aimed at people 30 years younger than me, and yes, my inner nerd is still mildly affronted that they changed both her powers and their origins but…. It’s inventive, it’s funny, and the lead is charming enough to keep you on board even when she’s being a brat. It feels more like a comic book than any of the Marvel spin off shows to date.

(Also, Kamala’s Mum is hilariously reminiscent of my mother in law.)

It may well go to shit once the actual superhero stuff kicks in, but so far it’s much better than I feared.
  • I thought it was amazing. The parents are show stealing.

Big Hulk :)
  • Reviews are good. Authentic representation of Pakistani immigrant in US life apparently
  • tin_robot wrote:
    I watched Ms Marvel with the kids and was really pleasantly surprised. It’s clearly aimed at people 30 years younger than me, and yes, my inner nerd is still mildly affronted that they changed both her powers and their origins but…. It’s inventive, it’s funny, and the lead is charming enough to keep you on board even when she’s being a brat. It feels more like a comic book than any of the Marvel spin off shows to date. (Also, Kamala’s Mum is hilariously reminiscent of my mother in law.) It may well go to shit once the actual superhero stuff kicks in, but so far it’s much better than I feared.

Would it be ok for an 8 year old? My daughter wants to watch some of the proper marvel stuff but I kinda feel Iron Man would be a bit heavy to kick things off
    SFV - reddave360
  • Just watched it, really enjoyed it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    tin_robot wrote:
    I watched Ms Marvel with the kids and was really pleasantly surprised. It’s clearly aimed at people 30 years younger than me, and yes, my inner nerd is still mildly affronted that they changed both her powers and their origins but…. It’s inventive, it’s funny, and the lead is charming enough to keep you on board even when she’s being a brat. It feels more like a comic book than any of the Marvel spin off shows to date. (Also, Kamala’s Mum is hilariously reminiscent of my mother in law.) It may well go to shit once the actual superhero stuff kicks in, but so far it’s much better than I feared.

Would it be ok for an 8 year old? My daughter wants to watch some of the proper marvel stuff but I kinda feel Iron Man would be a bit heavy to kick things off

Obviously don’t know where it will go over the series, but based on the first episode (and knowledge of the comics), I’d say it’s likely to be fine. First episode is much more interested in family relationships than fighting. (For what it’s worth Common Sense Media has it down as age 10+)

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yeah, that was solid.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    Reviews are good. Authentic representation of Pakistani immigrant in US life apparently

Exactly what I want from my superhero fluff
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Two episodes into The Boys' third series. Great stuff
  • Half way through the 3rd and it's brilliant
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Two episodes into The Boys' third series. Great stuff

Same. Too gory for me though. Had to look away several times.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m the same way with on-screen gore as you are with horror, it doesn’t bother me in the slightest, I just appreciate the FX work.
  • Spoiler:
  • Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    SFV - reddave360
  • Miss Marvel's still getting watched in my household - though we're in a minority apparently as it has by far the lowest viewing figures of any of the Disney + Marvel shows.  Which is a shame, because it's better than a reasonable chunk of them.

I guess the superheroics do take a bit of a back seat to the teen stuff (Spiderman style), but it means it's probably the Marvel show with the most developed characters - and that's 3 episodes in. Kamala's great, and suitably flawed, and her family is wonderfully drawn.  (Her Mum remains a source of much hilarity in my place given that she appears to be a Pakistani version of my mother in law). 

Third episode sees some slightly questionable backstory thrown in, with the villains in particular being an odd choice.
    Spoiler:
    Despite that, it remains considerably more fun than most of the other Marvel shows (it pisses on Winter Soldier from a great height) and probably deserves to do better than it apparently is...
  • I absolutely adore the show. These characters could be doing anything and I'd watch.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Re: viewers, I think it's more that it was a mistake to release it at the same time as Obi-Wan on Disney+ and a bunch of other A-tier genre shoes on other streaming services (The Boys, Stranger Things).
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Not watched the latest episode of Ms Marvel yet, but I’m looking forward to doing so.

As far as the viewing figures go, I read something about them being low in the US, I wonder if that’s true globally?
  • I dare say it's fine, but like much of the Phase4 stuff, it's a considerably harder sell to peeps like me than what's come before. I grew up with all the characters from Phase1-3, so that's your initial draw: Characters I know and loved as a kid.

Phase4 is a big nope for me so far. 
    Shang-Chi: Who? Not interested.
    The Eternals: Never heard of them. Looks shit. Not interested.
    Morbius: Was shit when I was a kid, so not interested now. 
    Moon Knight: Shrug. Gave it a go. It was shit.
    Ms.Marvel: Never heard of her. Looks like a young girl with massive hands. Probably for kids. Not interested.

Now I'm sure Marvel aren't bricking it because a fifty-something guy on the internet doesn't get on with their newer characters, but as time goes on, and the viewing figures drop off, I think it's going to be more of a problem for them than they initially thought.

Still, I've got the new Doctor Strange to watch tonight, and I'm looking forward to seeing that.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Morbius isn’t part of Phase 4, it’s a Sony film.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Also, Shang-Chi was decent. Worth a watch, I’d say.
  • I know that Yoss, but it's a Marvel character in a film that's out during the phase4 period of the MCU. Do I really have to use asterisks and footnotes in random posts about superheroes?
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!