Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • Watched the new Spiderman last night.

It was ok, my least favourite of the Holland trilogy. A nice concept and it handled having many characters without being a mess of a story however it did end up a bit bloated and sluggish. The action and CG was tip top and it's always nice to have Dafoe ham it up again.

Overall I still think I'm just a bit tired of this stuff. Only watched it last night as it was the only bit of media I had to hand while waiting for my internet to be set up today.
  • I wonder when I’ll hit my limit

I watched eternals off my tits so I should try something sober and I reckon it’ll be the shock cure treatment I need
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    What else are you going to watch when you’re off your tits? When it comes to big, dumb action movies that are good for off-tits-watching, there’s not much other than Marvel these days.
  • Everything Everywhere All The Time!!!!
  • Should be getting the new Mission Impossible this year right?
    Top Gun as well.
    Fast X next year although that franchise is definitely flogging the horse (power).

I'm still in for Thor as Thor and the Guardians are top Marvel. Will hopefully enjoy Ant Man as well, Rudd can carry most movies.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The Batman done, cracking stuff. Dano's performance has made me want to watch There Will Be Blood again
  • "Bastard in a Batmobile"
  • The Batman done, cracking stuff. Dano's performance has made me want to watch There Will Be Blood again

For a brief moment, I thought you were suggesting there’s a sequel called There Will Be Blood Again.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Surely the sequel would be There is Blood, with the trilogy rounded out with Mopping up the Blood.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    There Will Be More Blood
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There Will be Plasters.
  • There will be Bloodier
  • There will be Bloods: this time its war
    SFV - reddave360
  • There Will Be Blood Loss
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I drank your milkshake
  • Minkymu wrote:

That is all levels of brilliant.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Just seen Doctor Strange.

I thought Sam Raimi would Sam Raimi but I wasn't prepared for just how much Sam Raimi Sam Raimi would Sam Raimi.
  • Just seen Doctor Strange. I thought Sam Raimi would Sam Raimi but I wasn't prepared for just how much Sam Raimi Sam Raimi would Sam Raimi.

This was pretty much my reaction to it.  I very much enjoyed the Raimi-ness, which served to offset the fact that the movie is, in itself, kind of a mess.

My wife was really irritated by it, chiefly because she felt it ought to be a Scarlet Witch movie, rather than a Doctor Stranger one.
    Spoiler:
    I completely accept that it's an utterly flawed film from a storytelling perspective, but my inner teenager was enjoying all that Raiminess in a full on Marvel movie far too much to care.
  • Yeah, it's not the best Marvel film, but it's probably my favourite one.
  • The main problem with it, is that if you go into this without having watched Endgame and WandaVision, a lot of it won't make sense. It's becoming an increasing problem for Marvel films. Unless it's a direct sequel, you should never need to have seen something else to properly enjoy what you're currently watching.

The hardcore audience is retained, but they're quickly losing the casual audience.
  • Shang Chi easily the best of the recent bunch.
  • I thought Shang chi was really good as well. Enjoyed it more than spider-mans.

Also the new ‘direction’ of marvel stuff seems completely disjointed. One film to the next seems to have completely different rules and I’m guessing the new strange has the same issue. I think these films accumulated into infinity war and it’s been a steady decline since. Didn’t enjoy endgame much either.

It all feels like a comic event I would have skipped, kinda wished they went the secret invasion route but c’est la vie.
  • What do you mean different rules?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The main problem with it, is that if you go into this without having watched Endgame and WandaVision, a lot of it won't make sense. It's becoming an increasing problem for Marvel films. Unless it's a direct sequel, you should never need to have seen something else to properly enjoy what you're currently watching.

The hardcore audience is retained, but they're quickly losing the casual audience.

I’m not too bothered if they do lose the casual audience, TBH. Let them build something utterly barmy for as long as they can until it all collapses in on itself. We can always go back to watching non-superhero movies again.
  • Looking forward to Strange but there is no doubt that the Marvel universe thing is becoming more of an anchor than before. There's too much focus on world building (a common comic failing I find) so much of the shows have felt like set up for whats coming. But we never get to the firework factory (or by the sounds of reaction to Strange, we get there but its the wrong one we thought we were going to, and the sparks just are not flying as we had hoped) One of the big plus points of the MCU was it used to prop up lesser movies, I dont think this is the case anymore.

Overall the films could do with a big pause. Try a few stand alone movies with very different styles for a bit, than restart a new universe. But dont try and tie it all in to each other. We've done Ironman/ Captain America and Thanos and I think all in all it was brilliant. I'd like a proper Marvel take on X-men, where it builds up to a proper finale with something like Dark Phoenix or Apocolypse (or Magneto ) and then we move onto another world (maybe the Fantastic Four stuff). its all feeling too spread out and the quality is suffering.
    SFV - reddave360
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    It's tended to be the rare standalone MCU film that has significantly bled over into being a cross-over Avengers type thing. I think the main examples are Captain America: Civil War and then now this? (haven't watched it). And I think assuming the audience has watched the Infinity Wars/Endgame story is fairly reasonable because... they probably did, especially in this era of streaming.

Shang Chi and Eternals were both standalone enough.

I think the MCU is definately in danger in heading too far into comic book style continuity in the movies, but this one could just be a bit of an outlier.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Also if Marvel is losing the casuals with over $500 million box office in the first week, I think it's safe to say they're fine without them.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!