Slay the Spire: B&B GOTY 2018, 2020, 2021, and Forum Pariah 2019
  • I always swap silent relic out given the choice. Not so keen on dropping the others, but whenever I've dropped the silent one, i barely notice the difference.
    SFV - reddave360
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I always drop the Watcher's relic too.
  • The Silent is deffo one of the better relics to drop but there are specific builds with innate/bottled cards that can be really strong with the OG relic and set you up for the rest of the fight. Some of my strongest builds have been because of the starting relic.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Been enjoying Disco Elysium so much that I left multiple posts here on unread. Madness. But I'm back on this now and the break has made me realise that this game really is a skill that needs to be constantly trained. Played quite a bit yesterday and really struggled to get past act 2. 

Anyway, I think Silent has the best starting relic, and therefore the one I'm least likely to trade. I can see the appeal of ditching it though, as it's not very impactful in the early game. You can rarely make use of the extra options it provides when your hand and draw pile is stuffed with strikes and defends. However, as Silent so often relies on big opening turns in the late game, the extra draw on turn 1 becomes particularly valuable as your deck takes shape. So it's often a tradeoff between easier early game vs easier late game.
  • So I wasn’t happy with initial offerings for Watcher from the whale. Chanced it on swapping out the relic. Got Snecko Eye. Now I’ve never taken that before or used it and I’m around 200 hours on the clock. Thought fuck it, let’s see how this goes.

It went well! Started choosing mostly 2 cost cards and occasional 3 cost. Cleared ascension 4. Not bad!

So now I’m on asc 11, 5, 6, 5.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It will always go well if you either already have an expensive deck or you get it then and then select for expensive deck. Such a good relic.

Co-sign on noxy's comment re silent. Still the char I struggle with the most, but a lot of hours put in right now, and yeah, starter relic is great if you get the chance to build around it and synergise with the many other relics that give you first turn buffs/enemy debuffs. 

Combinations of backstab, with the zero cost card damage buff, and either first turn strength and/or 1st turn vulnerable for enemies, plus, for instance, Lantern, and you can set up entire fights.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I think Silent is the most satisfying to win with. You always feel you’ve earned it.
  • Funny flipping between pc and switch version. Switch doesn't have the updated shiv card but I've still had some good runs with it. Any idea if or when the switch will get the update?

It was interesting reading the edge article and the view of ironclad. I've started playing him almost turtle style and ain to get juggernaut and barricade up and rolling as soon as possible. One run I had the intangible every 6 turn relic and the fan which gives you 4 defense every view attacks. Became a blocking fiend. Throw in a few smithed bodysuits and we're laughing.

On a side note, I thought the edge article was good but would have loved more. Without resorting to wiki stuff is there any good in depth articles on this out there?
    SFV - reddave360
  • What’s the updates shiv attack?! I play on Switch mainly.
  • Blade dance was upgraded in a recent patch. By default you now get 3 shivs and upgraded you get 4. It is also more common. Depending on the relics you get, it can become a monster card. Although not much use against time slug, for the other 2 main bosses it can be brilliant for tearing through and buffering.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I think that with the changes silent moves from being a principally a poison to a shiv game.
  • Get envenom and it can be both.
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    On a side note, I thought the edge article was good but would have loved more. Without resorting to wiki stuff is there any good in depth articles on this out there?

Not exactly what you're looking for but I once interviewed Stephen Flavall about becoming the best Slay the Spire player in the world, and how the game is so complex.
  • That was great Tempy, I think more stuff like this is fascinating. I know the wiki has all the detail on the game but I really enjoy reading different people's approaches to the game. Stephen and yourself are discussing stuff beyond my current level *(I'm on lowly level 4.) But it's great to get that high level insight.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I can only assume this game was a rather wonderful fluke because nobody can design a game this well in a few years, except they did.
  • I mean, chess took a while and admittedly there wasn't the internet then, but still.
  • Lol. Agree. It’s scary how almost perfect this game is.
  • It has taken me 950 hours of play before I was finally able to take the 999 gold in exchange for 2 normalities from that event, which I forget the name of. Sadly I then used my riches to buy a bunch of unnecessary but expensive cards at the next shop, transforming what was a well optimized and balanced deck into a bloated mess
  • I've been tempted by that a few times recently, as I'm slogging to A20 with silent. Presumably if you discard the normality then the 3 card limit doesn't apply any more? Still haven't gone for it, as the opportunity to crush an act 1 boss is hard to give up.

I find silent decks really hard to manage - sometimes they just click and I can cycle through 10 cards a turn, but most of the time something goes wrong and the deck ends up stuck doing very little.
  • I only took it because I had the omamori thing to void my next 2 curses, but yea you can discard the cards too to avoid the negative effects. Not sure it would be worth it with Silent though, unless you really have a lot of draw, discard and energy generation. Just adding two dead cards to your deck is a real hindrance to drawing the components you need to get the engine up and running.

• It just seems like a fun thing to try, and if it doesn't work then it would give me insight into why it was a bad idea.
  • voices wrote:
    It just seems like a fun thing to try, and if it doesn't work then it would give me insight into why it was a bad idea.

Get the 999 with the merchant card and the merchant refill thing (is it a mouse or something?) I remember I had that on a run - not the 999 but I did have the other 2 and one of my last visits to the shop I had around 700 gold. Was awesome just clicking the relics on.

I think I still died on that run though.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Finally. Ac20 with Silent done.

1 turn away from death.

Luck and knowledge meet again. Shiv route early, then got the ninja star so had damage out wazzoo for the rest of the trip.

Got dead branch just before final bosses, and it nearly wrecked me, but it also saved me.

Phew.

Got ac18, 19 and 20 with watcher to go before the set is done. And then it's ac2+ heart runs with everyone.
  • After 3 almost wins which were thwarted by me making obvious and silly mistakes, ac18 done with watcher. Very comfortable win against donut.
  • Ac19 done. Best flurry of blows deck I've ever done. Ended up with 5 of them. Lots of ways to change stances and +4 strength basically every fight. Had one upgraded mantra which only really got used in elites and bosses. But wow, did it come through. Had 7 health for last 3 turns of slug, 5 mantra in the bank, all flurries in play. Slug had just healed and thought I was fucked. 3 stance changes ending with divinity took armor and half his health. (had timed all 12th moves right.)

Awesome.
  • What's this stuff where you can play as enemies?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • ? A mod? I dunno.
  • Also I still have a card to unlock. No idea what it is. Must be associated with an achievement.
  • Facewon wrote:
    ? A mod? I dunno.

It came up on my YT recommendations, some guy playing as a gremlin mob. Apparently it is a mod called Downfall.
    Gamertag: gremill

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!