Slay the Spire: B&B GOTY 2018, 2020, 2021, and Forum Pariah 2019
  • IEMmmaW.png

Super lucky run - Kunai, 4 scrawls and 3 vaults and I didn't come across time eater. Lots of stance swapping options meant most turns were long and effective. Got a lucky talk to the hand close to the end so I had a chance of killing the Heart (and I did).

XmIOfUK.png
  • Niiiice. I'm being really shit with early ascension defect heart runs. Been stuck on ac2 for weeks now.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Well Defect Asc 19 was a right battle to beat. Just couldn’t put a great run together. But when it came together it went well. Loads of orbs, emotion chip, loop, loads of 0 cost cards and all for one meant I didn’t miss not getting an energy relic.
  • Mentioned in the rogue thread, but this really is worth keeping an eye on.

In EA, and a little rough in the beginning, but really meaty now I'm into it. Borrows wholesale energy and a few other things from STS, with a clever combo mechanic, and the addition of the tile based play to allow for using attacks to knock enemies into attacking each other and all manner of clever things. 5 levels so far, with 5 classes, and 5 different difficulty levels too. I'm only just getting the hang on the fairly tame settings, and there's some frustrations, but man, sooooo satisfying when you get your moves, synergies etc in a row and wreck some dudes cleverly.

Absolutely passes the "oh, I am doing better now, clearly I have learned things" test. 

It does save progress on each run, but it is also a much longer game to game experience than sts. My longest run, granted with some breaks while afk was about 4 hours. I'll defo get faster, but everything does take longer.

Not a criticism, tbh, it's just different.
  • Finally! This was a combination of Juggernaut+, the ash that hurts all enemies for exhausting cards and Second wind, the deck had really great drawing ability with 2 upgraded pommels and the box thing that lets you draw if you get hurt.

FBiU1VkVIAE9UdW?format=jpg&name=large

I'm having so much trouble with AC20 Defect. I found him the easiest to complete untill the last three ascentions. I find my deck takes too long to set up and I can't get enough ice and increase my focus sufficiently fast enough, or I'm getting fucked early on (that red elite thing gives him so much trouble, every time you use a skill it's attack increases).
  • I'm completely stuck on Asc14 with Silent. Just can't get anything going.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • So after giving up with AS20 with the defect, went to do the heart on lower difficulties with some unexpected success:

FB0J8k_VEAEwUnm?format=jpg&name=large
  • Lovely. Fights in tight spaces has actually dragged me from this for the moment. It's so tasty, scratches same itch and work in similar ways but with pure added awesome that I can take a break.

I'll be back though.
  • Hard to imagine I won't inevitably end up buying that game, but I think I'd want my first experience to be with the polished final product
  • Totally good idea. It's pretty close, but can see stuff that's not finished yet. Retain and discard mechanics are clearly anaemic right now, for instance.

But it's official for me. Clearly in a tier just below sts on its own now. And the only thing that may change things is weather I'm still hammering it in 2-3 years.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Got to the second boss on Asc 20 Defect but not enough health to make it through. Damn.
  • Bump for Muzzy the Moron.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I’ve not been playing as much as I used to. Hades took over for a bit. Now trying to complete some other games too.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Cheers buddy
  • Fights in tight spaces looks interesting. Will keep an eye out for this.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So yeah I got this on Android. But still on my first run.
  • Yay. First time?
  • I think I’m finished with this game. I got a dead branch and corruption and I still lost on asc 20. I have no chance of winning this.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    Yay. First time?

Yeah. I think I suck at it. Bad choices have been made. Does stuff carry from one run to another?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Actually I very briefly played in ea on PC I think, but long enough so I've forgotten everything.
  • When you play new some cards and relics only become available after a few games and if you get to the first boss your options at the start become better than the standard two.
  • I also started playing this a couple of weeks ago, got clears with iron, silent and defect atm, working on wanderer. I tend to just try to get decks I like rather than playing to the cards I find, which I know isn't optimal, but I'm having fun.
  • I found Silent easiest to clear with, followed by defect, then ironclad. Defect most fun for me atm.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So I died on the first boss on my first run, but have got to Act 2 on my (ongoing) second run (as The Silent).  Definitely feeling my way through tactics.  What's general advice on plotting paths through the maps - avoiding fights is tempting cos less risk of losing health, but I guess less upside too / fewer cards gained?  I've ocassionally had choices of like 20 cards from the ? too, which is kinda overwhelming... I've almost certainly made duff choices along the way!  Kinda looking forward to battling onwards though...

Only niggles are android-specifics stuff... the bottom-left draw card pile is rendered exactly where the Pixel 5 camera is, and moving cards up is very close to the swipe action for going to the home screen... and it takes ages to "sync data" each time I start it... but yeah, looks full fat despite all that!
  • Fights and elites in Act 1 - question marks at start of Act 2, then fights (and elites).

Some of the Act 2 ?'s are really powerful, and the fights are really hard to come out of well coming off the back of Act 1.

Act 3 fights are easier than Act 2 if you've progressed reasonably, but some of the elites can trip you up if you don't have the deck to deal with them.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    DS gave me some good advice on early runs. Hit as many elites and camp fires as you can on level one. Only upgrade cards at camp fires at level 1 (if you have to heal you probably aren't getting past level 2 anyway).
  • Oh - and bonfires. The best route is usually the one with the most bonfires (for upgrades to cards) and elites on it in Act 1, but choosing fights over question marks. A shop towards the end of Act 1 is also a nice to have, looking for cards that augment what you've picked up or complementing/powerful relics.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    So I died on the first boss on my first run, but have got to Act 2 on my (ongoing) second run (as The Silent).  Definitely feeling my way through tactics.  What's general advice on plotting paths through the maps - avoiding fights is tempting cos less risk of losing health, but I guess less upside too / fewer cards gained?  I've ocassionally had choices of like 20 cards from the ? too, which is kinda overwhelming... I've almost certainly made duff choices along the way!  Kinda looking forward to battling onwards though... Only niggles are android-specifics stuff... the bottom-left draw card pile is rendered exactly where the Pixel 5 camera is, and moving cards up is very close to the swipe action for going to the home screen... and it takes ages to "sync data" each time I start it... but yeah, looks full fat despite all that!

I'm not nearly as good as the hardcore players here but generally I only plot as fair as making sure there are the most camps and at least 1 shop on a route (where the shop comes depends on how much cash I have at the start of the act) I also try to include more elites than regular battles to get more relics (you get cards with elites.)

In terms of decks, you have to find what works. For me I tend to build Defect around getting lots of orbs in the air, possbly linked to static electric power and focus so that if I take hits I'm giving back loads. I also try and side build a lot of 0 cost cards to go with getting the All for one card which will let you use them again. 

For Ironclad, I've only really had big success when I can build a deck around big defence paired with barricade, juggernaut and bodyslam

For the Silent, I mix building strong poison attacks with lots of shivs - envenom with the shive buff is great. 

Really not good with watcher so no main idea but when its worked its usually based around switching stances a lot and using lots of flurry of blows while keeping a few retain cards back for big hits and defense.

Not sure if any of that helps
    SFV - reddave360
  • 20 cards from a ?... Don't think I've ever seen that and I've got about 80hrs on the game now.

I look for elites and bonfires in act 1 yeah. I try to avoid the elites in Act 3.
  • My only ironclad success atm was great, had multiple cards that dropped my hp each turn + multiple cards that buffed my strength whenever I lost hp to cards, plus some more strength gain items. Halfway through fights I'd have so much strength built up that I'd be twatting things for huge numbers.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!