Hades
  • voices wrote:
    I thought it was great...

Same, 
    Spoiler:

I think one of my favourite additions to the game as you go through Heat is Extreme Measures 1-4. Some genuinely brilliant moments mastering that particular challenge.
  • I'm not a fan of the mechanic in general but I care less in roguelikes where death is part of the cycle.
  • It’s only a (pleasant) surprise the first time.  After that, you know what you’re in for and it’s a matter of just treating it like two half-health bars.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I think one of my favourite additions to the game as you go through Heat is Extreme Measures 1-4. Some genuinely brilliant moments mastering that particular challenge.

The additional music you get for Extreme Measures 4 is hype. Thinking back, I ended up not using it that much, as EM4 becomes extremely difficult on top of all the other heat when trying to beat heat 32 (and a total no go for speed runs). I could probably count on a single hand the number of times I've beaten it, despite having c150 clears total.
  • Yeah, EM4 was the last big challenge I did. Never bothered with Heat 32.
  • Took down Hades the other day (3rd attempt), can consistently reach him now, but usually only with the spear, and even then I keep getting twatted. My big stumbling block now is clearing that total dick Theseus without any deaths and killing those Satyrs without taking much damage.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • He's down. Solid game.
  • The point I am at is that everything up to about half way through Elysium is a cake walk.
    Then its making sure I have a balanced build that can do everything else after that.

Wiping the floor with the Heroes and walking away with all DD intact doesn't mean I'm getting through Styx fine.
    I think that is where the game shines. The last 3 or 4 trials are varied enough to mean basic builds with single tactics often fail.
  • Question - do people take the easier, or more challenging routes in Styx? And do you do more than you need to for the sake of upgrades etc?
  • I 100% always pick one of the elites first because they are almost always easier and give better rewards. If I don't pick an elite second it's because I'm crossing my fingers for a 2 room Styx and really want the particular reward (i.e. fishing for a legendary or duo boon my build relies on). 
    Spoiler:
  • Though on recent play throughs on a fresh save I was clearing (up to) all 5 rooms to try to get a buff from one of the Charon wells for the final fight.
  • I started taking elite rooms when I realised it was faster for speedruns, and never looked back.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Syph79 wrote:
    He's down. Solid game.

baby-weightlifter-strong-yelling-throw-gif-5427467.gif
  • had my 18th attempt last night, got to the elysium bosses again.
    it's funny, first time i got to them, on my only run to get to Hades, I absolutely mullered them. Just went toe-to-toe and killed them both straight away, it felt like no challenge at all.
    since then it's been much more of a struggle with different weapons and builds.
    obviously i stumbled on something magical on that first run, but i'm not sure what. i wish i had a memory for these things but the names of the boons (and even which god) just wash over me as i play
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Im bad with names as well so you arent alone there.
    The mainline Gods like Zeus and Ares I naturally know anyway but others have been "Arrow lady" and "Drunk thingy".

I have no idea on the actual weapon names either.

I have just started to put the effort into learning the Boon names because I think that is going to help and checking the codex is a bit of a faff.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    He's down. Solid game.
    baby-weightlifter-strong-yelling-throw-gif-5427467.gif

Was very much like this, with added swearing.
  • Made it to the Elysium boss using the spear. What a pair of cunts.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Redownloaded this so I can complain it's not fair and I hate roguelikes and blah blah blah. But ultimately there is part of me that just wants to sit and play this game for hours and unlock everything. It's absolutely lovely looking and plays very well.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I've currently playing with a build where both cast and dassh give me Ares's blade rifts.  Let's see how this goes.  Not really using my weapon much.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I've currently playing with a build where both cast and dassh give me Ares's blade rifts.  Let's see how this goes.  Not really using my weapon much.

I'm a fan of that build. I beat the Elysium boss using the bow, along with a deflect/damage dash that makes you practically invulnerable.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Started this last night, managed to beat Meg once then died pretty quickly in the next area.

Tonight, I managed, after many attempts*, to beat Meg a second time and promptly went on to blow through the boss after that too. Shield spam FTW, apparently.

*TBH, my attempts at the moment are more focused on gaining the permanent upgrades than they are about progression.
  • How the fuck do you beat Meg? I reach her nearly every time but just cannot get her
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Ranged attacks seem to be the thing, so far for me at least. Done her once with the bow and once with the shield.
  • If you have a dash Boon dash into her dash timing it right to avoid her. This will hit her with whatever Boon it is. Having the extra dash from the mirror massively helps and is one of the first things to unlock imo.

Orbs, if you don't have a Boon with deflect then stand back and avoiding them is quite easy. If you have deflect use it because it will tear through her health.

If she goes into the air to do her flailing thing generally just avoid her but if you have a Boon like Ares dash or Dionysius Cast then you can place one below her and damage her while she is flailing.

The minions are good to off if they are causing a problem but don't get too hung up on them. Its easy to end up spending ages on them then realise you have barely hit Meg.
    Depending on build I tend to go out of my way kill off the Witches but find the Thugs tend to get caught up in whatever else I am doing and don't really cause a problem.

Be careful of traps because they will fuck you. Your footing is important throughout and that Meg fight does a good job of teaching such.
  • I find a combination of ranged plus bonus damage like doom works really well. Beating Meg is pretty instinctive now - I'm having to remember what I do... A lot of casting and special attacks. Learn when to dodge and when to deflect.
  • Wow, I loved Exagryph before. But just now I got rapid fire upgrade and chain lightning boon and it’s decimating the popcorn enemies.

(Died on Hades with my blade rift build. Unfortunately I never got a Call to help and changing options didn’t help.)
  • Fuck me. Just annihilated the Big Man.
  • Rapid gun, extra damage on manual reloads, chain lightning, Poseidon dash plus barrier damage and damage when enemy walks, and Athena call. Those were my main boons and abilities.
  • Am I doing it wrong if I barely use cast?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Na. But at the same time, you're not doing it wrong if you only use cast. Lean into what works

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!