Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah I couldn't get it firing very fast so it seemed DPS would be low. Plus I just prefer melee I think.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Gun thing is the best.
  • All the weapons are good when you learn their ins and outs.
  • Kow wrote:
    Gun thing is the best.

The other day I just kept putting power into the second mode (the bomb) something like 500% extra damage by the end and got me all the way to the final boss who just walked out of every volley.
  • If you want to cakewalk the game I recommend either taking the Adamant Rail and the Zeus Trinket and and getting the boon on attack, which will make it ridiculous, or the Hera Aspect of the Bow and the Dionysus Trinket, and taking the boon for cast. Both of those are really simple ways of outputting huge damage will take the stress off, and let you focus on learning dodges etc.

Permanent Record is looking good now, I want 10 clears with 'em all!

unknown.png
  • 16:32 clear just there. I want a sub 15 minute clear! I want it so bad!

Ei7qvXqWAAMFR4p?format=jpg&name=large
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Vsync + vrr is not a happy mix in this game at least. Turned off the former and it's now smooth as and much better.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The vertical ordering of stuff what you've got in the diamonds, does that signify much? So sine things cancel others out?
  • The icons  on the leftmost are, in order Attack, Special, Cast, Dash, Call - you can only have one of each, the game will tell you if you are replacing when you pick them up as it will say "will replace". 

The rest are all passive, no theoretical limit.
  • I can't believe how much more there is to the story and just stuff to unlock AFTER the credits have rolled. 

Everything about this game makes it such a nice place to spend time, the art direction, the insane soundtrack, the amazing detail and effort that has gone into stuff like the extra cosmetics for the areas in Hades palace (love to spend all my money pimping out the lounge), the writing between the characters and just how the story evolves from the starting point finding out your mother is still alive and trying to reach her to all the reframing and re-contextualizing about what the current situation that happens pre and post finding her. 

It's one of those games that I enjoy so much that I'm actually looking forward to the amount of stuff that's there to be done - working my way up the heat gauge, levelling up the weapons and trinkets, pimping the lounge into oblivion, chatting up best girl 'dusa, and just wringing every last drop I can out of it.

Edit: One of the best end credits tunes in any video game ever. EVER EVER EVER imho.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Got ruined by hades again. I need to be a bit more patient.
  • I find I go through streaks where I will clear him okay, and then just have runs where I continually get clipped by his big spear spin and the skull explosions.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Woke up at 6am so started playing this again. Finally managed my first clear, at the 27th attempt.
  • AYO!
  • I’ve only played around 6 runs and it’s quite hard! Or maybe I’m just shit. 

Absolutely loving the characters and dialogue etc. Voice acting pretty ok. Dionysus my fave atm.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It gets easier as you play - you can upgrade your character in a lot of ways to help you.
  • I haven't been able to play much in the last few days. I unlocked the gun on my last run and got a big special boost early on that helped a lot. It got through the Elysium bosses for the first time and all the way to the big guy. I wasn't in any shape to beat him by the time I got there, but that was still much better than I'd managed before.
  • I've had a couple of steam roller runs where you're so OP you're just charging through chambers and it came to me what game Hades reminds me of once you upgrade a bit - Diablo 3. It might just be me but I begin to lose interest when it gets hectic and I'm just spamming all my abilities. Elysium in particular can get crazy where I can't see what's really happening and I'm getting through by just button mashing.

I prefer the methodic, considered Tarterus over any of the subsequent levels and I wonder how long this will hold my interest if abilities just become more flamboyant and explosive...
  • The power progression in this reminds me a lot of Isaac, in the way that your build slowly snowballs towards insanity, which is a big draw for me in rogues. I love when roguelikes don't force challenge over the player at all costs. Sometimes it's nice to get decent RNG and absolutely stomp a run out. It's really satisfying for me, that sort of swinginess that you get when items are randomly selected. Same at the other end of the scale as well, clearing a run with an anaemic build has it's own satisfaction from overcoming the odds. 

I don't think Hades is going to get close to the extremes of where Isaac runs can end up, but it definitely is going a lot further that the likes of Gungeon and Dead Cells.

It's a shame that the game makes players wait a while before it unlocks the Heat system and lets players toggle up the difficulty by mixing and matching different modifiers to make runs more difficult in exchange for more rewards. I'm currently doing runs at Heat 3 I think the heat gauge might go all the way up to 25 or 30 and I'm starting to feel the game pushing back, I can get to Elysium most of the time, Styx some of the time, but the final boss is proving a handful as most of my death defies are gone by that point.
  • I think I'm approaching my fill of this already tbh. I'm a bit tired of the first three areas. Do any more areas open up? I'd much prefer to be able to buy upgrades and new colours to the battle arenas rather than the house. That stuff seems largely pointless. A new rug for the lounge? Big whoop.

A couple of game journos mentioned the game was massive but I suppose they must've meant in the narrative sense because it's pretty meagre area wise...
  • Styx as far as I can tell is the last area, although there is a whole set of rooms that are like Chaos portals that I can't open (yet) so I don't know if those lead anywhere different.

This game is very strange in overall size, because the narrative size, is huge, I'm way past the end credits and the story is still going, and I don't mean the little side convos with other characters, I mean the main plot of the game. I've said elsewhere that it feels like the point at which the credit rolls was picked because I think for a lot of players who just want to enjoy the game and move on, that was a natural break point to do it, but I'm nearly 60 hours in and a new thing appeared in the palace, that I have no idea what it does, I still don't have the final form of all the weapons, I know from Tempy, the resident Hades don, in his screenshots that there is a whole extra type of item that I still haven't unlocked yet. ]

I think there's a decent amount of variety left for me to explore with all the different weapon forms, the heat runs, the rest of the story post credits, the new stuff that keeps appearing in the palace (one thing I will say about Hades is it's very good at making you think "Oh keys are redundant now I'll just trade these all for nectar so I can get diamonds and stuff", only for keys to become a necessary item once again further down the line). But in terms of new areas, I don't think there's much left to see, there's the sort of procedural room layouts on each floor to keep things looking too repetetive, and there are some significant changes to the bosses that happen under certain circumstances, and there's a special room type I can't get in for now, but I don't think the game has any new areas beyond Styx, but then, I could be completely wrong about that because I wasn't expecting completely brand new "thing" to show up in the palace the other day after all this time.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Its a really, really good game but unlike Isaac/Cells/Abyss I'm already a bit bored of the combat loop. Like others, whilst the writing is good, I have no interest in the plot or storyline and generally hate such stuff within a roguelike. 

Banging game, can't deny that, just not a long term thing for me.
  • Yeah. It's a masterpiece for sure, but for me it's not gonna last. The incremental upgrades at the start of most runs are not exciting enough and can be very samey, and having to trawl through the same bosses over and over has become tedious for me.
  • There is a lingering doubt for me that the game wins itself. I think if you try and win without boons then it is not possible to win realistically or you need hours and hours of time.
  • All i’m seeing here is a lot of wobbly lips who can’t get a sub-20 minute clear above heat 5.
  • Is heat like ascension?
  • Yeah, except you control the specific challenges you want to put on. Each challenge applies an amount of heat.
  • It’s an elective version of ascension where you choose to activate debuffs for a heat cost, each heat level gives you a reward for each of the four bosses, but you have to do it incrementally - clearing heat 4 doesn’t give you the bonuses for heat 1,2 and 3. It’s quite fun messing around with them to figure which are your simple penalties for early heat, versus which will get your ass well and truly hung out to dry. One of them on the surface seemed easy enough, (enemy attacks are 20% faster) but took me about 5 attempts to clear with that as the solitary condition when i was fishing for prophecy fulfilment.
  • I do find it interesting that the takes are divided though, I had a vague period where I was sort of done with the early levels but that was in early access where there was less variety - we didn’t even have weapon aspects at one point! I remember when there was no fists!

All the bosses have also had big revamps apart from T&A who only received some minor tweaking that occurs late game thanks to story reasons. There are now new miniboss options in all the levels where before there was only one, a few of the heat choices like Extreme Measures and Middle Management open up a lot more variety too as you play, there’s even a whole hidden mechanic where elite enemies (the ones with little skull icons and armour) get Diablo III style perks from a specific pact of punishment, when it all starts layering together the variety and difficulty just keeps increasing.

I say this I guess as someone who has like 80+ hours into it, with 100+ runs and 30+ clears now. I can’t see myself getting bored because the core loop is so good, and for every run where I am just exploding with damage because I picked the right boons and power ups, there are runs where the bosses and heat debuffs are making those combos less and less effective, and the core combat of dodging and figuring out how to maximise damage without taking a face full of pain creeps back in. It has a wonderful back and forth relationship between your scaling power and the higher difficulty of heat which pushes back, especially as you start to cap out your titan blood upgrades on weapon aspects and have to start relying on skill over raw numbers to get by.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The can mix up the runs and flow of the levels as much as they want but when I'm getting very little joy out of the core combat loop and find the boons a bit dull then it isn't really going to gel. I can see how good it is but it doesn't have that one more go appeal of my preferred rogues.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!